Based on technical analysis and budget link experimentation, the main purpose here is to show improvement of HF half loop antennas in terms of signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and stealthy for a combat ship. A special designed HF antenna brings a high quality communication over 1000 NM. A suitable integration of a HF half loop antenna at ship corners contributes to the ship stealthy. This paper shows the antenna performance and the benefit of the completely body integrated HF half loop antenna regarding whip antennas. The corresponding SNR is 15 to 20 dB better than for a conventional antenna.
"Perspectives of HF Half Loop Antennas for Stealth Combat Ships," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 54, 167-184, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13050201
1. Isaakidis, S. A. and T. D. Xenos, "Wave propagation and re°ection in the ionosphere. An alternative approach for ray path calculations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 45, 201-215, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03071802
2. Gouin, J. P., D. Lafargue, and H. Le Guen, "HF 125W half-loop antennas in ALE and ECCM for land mobile, navy and helicopter use," HF Radio Systems and Techniques, Vol. 474, Conference Publication, IEE, 2000.
3. Prösch, R., Technical Handbook for Radio Monitoring, 2007.
4. Law, Jr., P. E., Shipboard Electromagnetic, Artech House, 1987.
5. Rockwell International, HF Communication Data Book, Collins Telecommunications, 2005.
6. Marocco, R., L. Mattioni, and V. Martorelli, "Naval structural antenna systems for broadband HF communications --- Part II: Design methodology for real naval platforms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3330-3337, IEEE Press, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.884306
7. Sun, R.-Q., M. Zhang, , C. Wang, and Y. Chen, "Study of electromagnetic scattering from ship wakes on PEC sea surfaces by the smallslope approximation theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 387-404, 2012.
8. Zhang, M., Y.-W. Zhao, H. Chen, and W.-Q. Jiang, "SAR imaging simulation for composite model of ship on dynamic ocean scene," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 395-412, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11071501
9. Ma, B.-K., L.-X. Guo, and H.-T. Su, "Statistical characteristics of the multipath time delay and doppler shift of a radar wave propagating through the ionosphere," Progress In Electromagnetcs Research, Vol. 138, 479-497, 2013.