In this paper, the difference scheme of the alternating-direction-implicit finite-difference time-domain (ADI-FDTD) method is replaced by the quasi isotropic (QI) spatial difference scheme to improve its numerical dispersion characteristics. The unconditional stability advantage of QI-ADI-FDTD is analytically proven and numerically verified. The numerical dispersion of the novel method can be dramatically reduced by choosing proper weighting factor. An example is simulated to demonstrate the accuracy and efficiency of the proposed method.
"Reduction of Numerical Dispersion of Adi-FDTD Method with Quasi Isotropic Spatial Difference Scheme," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 52, 363-382, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13050511
1. Dai, J., Z. Z. Chen, D. L. Su, and X. Y. Zhao, "Stability analysis and improvement of the conformal ADI-FDTD methods," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 6, 2248-2258, Jun. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2143686
2. Wang, J.-B., B.-H. Zhou, L.-H. Shi, C. Gao, and B. Chen, "A novel 3-D weakly conditionally stable FDTD algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 525-540, 2012.
3. Mao, Y., B. Chen, H.-Q. Liu, J.-L. Xia, and J.-Z. Tang, "A hybrid implicit-explicit spectral FDTD scheme for oblique incidence problems on periodic structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 128, 153-170, 2012.
4. Wang, W., P.-G. Liu, and Y.-J. Qin, "An unconditional stable 1D-FDTD method for modeling transmission lines based on precise split-step scheme," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 135, 245-260, 2013.
5. Kong, Y.-D., Q.-X. Chu, and R.-L. Li, "Two effcient unconditionally-stable four-stages split-step FDTD methods with low numerical dispersion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 48, 1-22, 2013.
6. Heh, D. Y. and E. L. Tan, "Unified e±cient fundamental ADI-FDTD schemes for lossy media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B , Vol. 32, 217-242, 2011.
7. Gao, J.-Y. and H.-X. Zheng, "One-step leapfrog ADI-FDTD method for lossy media and its stability analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, 49-60, 2013.
8. Dai, J., D. L. Su, and X. Y. Zhao, "A scheme of lightning pulse source for the FDTD analysis of near-feld interaction with airplane," 8th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory, ISAPE 2008, 843-846, Nov. 2008.
9. Vaccari, A., A. Cala' Lesina, L. Cristoforetti, and R. Pontalti, "Parallel implementation of a 3D subgridding FDTD algorithm or large simulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 263-292, 2011.
10. Izadi, M., M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, and C. Gomes, "Evaluation of electromagnetic fields associated with inclined lightning channel using second order FDTD-hybrid methods ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 209-236, 2011.
11. Xiong, R., B. Chen, J.-J. Han, Y.-Y. Qiu, W. Yang, and Q. Ning, "Transient resistance analysis of large grounding systems using theFDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 159-175, 2012.
12. Markovich , D. L., K. S. Ladutenko, and P. A. Belov, "Performance of FDTD method CPU implementations for simulation of electromagnetic processes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 655-670, 2013.
13. Ashutosh and P. K. Jain, "FDTD analysis of the dispersion characteristics of the metal PBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 71-88, 2012.
14. Guo, X.-M., Q.-X. Guo, W. Zhao, and W. Yu, "Parallel FDTD simulation using numa acceleration technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 1-8, 2012.
15. Zheng, F. H., Z. Z. Chen, and J. Z. Zhan, "Toward the development of a three-dimensional unconditionally stable finite-difference time-domain method," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 9, 1550-1558, Sep. 2000.
16. Wang, M. H., Z. Wang, and J. Chen, "A parameter optimized ADI-FDTD method," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 1, 118-121, 2003.
17. Fu, W. M. and E. L. Tan, "A parameter optimized ADI-FDTD method based on the (2, 4) stencil," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1836-1842, Jun. 2006.
18. Ahmed, I. and Z. Chen, "Dispersion-error optimized ADI FDTD," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 173-176, Jun. 2006.
19. Juntunen, J. S. and T. D. Tsiboukis, "Reduction of numerical dispersion in FDTD method through artificial anisotropy," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 4, 582-588, Apr. 2000.
20. Zheng, H. X. and K. W. Leung, "An effcient method to reduce the numerical dispersion in the ADI-FDTD," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 7, 2295-2301, Jul. 2005.
21. Zhang, Y., S. W. Lu, and J. Zhang, "Reduction of numerical dispersion of 3-D higher order alternating-direction-implicit finite di®erence time-domain method with artificial anisotropy," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2416-2428, Oct. 2009.
22. Lee, J. and B. Fornberg, "A split step approach for the 3-D Maxwell's equations," J. Comput. Appl. Math., Vol. 158, 485-505, Mar. 2003.
23. Shibayama, J., M. Muraki, J. Yamauchi, and H. Nakano, "E±cient implicit FDTD algorithm based on locally one-dimensional scheme," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 9, 1046-1047, Sep. 2005.
24. Fu, W. and E. L. Tan, "Development of split-step FDTD method with higher-order spatial accuracy," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 20, 1252-1253, Sep. 2004.
25. Kong, Y. D. and Q. X. Chu, "High-order split-step unconditionally-stable FDTD methods and numerical analysis," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 9, 3280-3289, Sep. 2011.