In this paper, a nontrivial local oscillator uncorrelated phase noise analysis is proposed for frequency synthesizer of a passive millimeter-wave Synthetic Aperture Interferometric Radiometer (SAIR) imager BHU-2D designed for concealed weapon detections on human bodies with high imaging rates. The frequency synthesizer provides local oscillator signals for both millimeter-wave front-ends and intermediate frequency I/Q demodulators for the receivers. The influence of local oscillator uncorrelated phase noise in different offset frequency ranges on the visibility phase errors have been systematically investigated, and the corresponding system level visibility specifications are drawn. The integrated RMS phase error has been applied to set uncorrelated phase noise requirements in the most critical offset frequency range for visibility error control. The synthesizer design is given, and measurement results have proved that the visibility phase error requirement is achieved by the PN analysis method proposed with system-level visibility error tests performed. To conclude, the phase noise effects on SAIR visibility phase errors are investigated by theory, and are properly limited by the PN requirement analysis method to ensure that the system-level visibility phase error specification is satisfied.
"Local Oscillator Uncorrelated Phase Noise Analysis for Millimeter-Wave Passive Imager Bhu-2D Frequency Synthesizer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 54, 89-106, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13052001
1. Camps, A., Application of interferometric radiometry to earth observation, Ph.D. Dissertation, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain, 1996.
2. Williams, T. D. and N. M. Vaidya, "A compact, low-cost, passive mmW security scanner," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5789, 109-116, May 19, 2005.
3. Notel, D., J. Huck, S. Neubert, S. Wirtz, and A. Tessmann, "A compact mmW imaging radiometer for concealed weapon detection," Proc. IRMMW-THz, 269-270, Cardi®, Sep. 2-9, 2007.
4. Kolinko, V. G., S. Lin, A. Shek, W. Manning, C. Martin, M. Hall, O. Kirsten, J. Moore, and D. A. Wikner, "A passive millimeter-wave imaging system for concealed weapons and explosives detection," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5781, 85-92, May 19, 2005.
5. Martin, C. A. and V. G. Kolinko, "Concealed weapons detection with an improved passive millimeter-wave imager," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5410, 252-259, Aug. 12, 2004.
6. Zheng, C., X. Yao, A. Hu, and J. Miao, "A passive millimeter-wave imager used for concealed weapon detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 46, 379-397, 2013.
7. Mehdi, G., A. Hu, and J. Miao, "Millimetre-wave all symmetric edge-coupled bandpass filter," The 10th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory, 1271-1274, Xi'an, China, Oct. 2012.
8. Yang, B. H., G. Mehdi, A. Y. Hu, et al. "The round ended design and measurement of all symmetric edge-coupled bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 191-203, 2013.
9. Mehdi, G., A. Hu, and J. Miao, "A highly integrated Ka-band front-end receiver," International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Vol. 10, Issue. 3, No. 2, 271-279, May 2013.
10. Goodman, J. W., Statistical Optics, 207-221, Wiley Classics Library, ed., Wiley, New York, 2000.
11. Ribo, S., Calibration, validation and polarimetry in 2D aperture synthesis: Application to MIRAS, Ph.D Dissertation, Departament de Teoria del Senyal I Communicacions, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, 2005.
12. Campus, A., I. Corbella, J. Bara, and F. Torres, "Radiometric sensitivity computation in aperture synthesis interferometric radiometry," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 36, 680-685, 1998. doi:10.1109/36.662749
13. Torres, F., I. Corbella, E. Castro, et al. "Phase noise requirements in interferometric radiometers," IGASS, Vol. 3, 1027-1030, 2009.
14. Shinagawa, M., "Jitter analysis of high-speed sampling systems," IEEE Journal of Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 25, No. 1, 220-224, Feb. 1990. doi:10.1109/4.50307
15. Zheng, C., X. Yao, A. Hu, and J. Miao, "Closed form calibration of 1bit/2level correlator used for synthetic aperture interferometric radiometer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 29, 193-205, 2013.