A simple and analytical design methodology for a novel multi-way Bagley Polygon power divider with arbitrary complex terminated impedances is proposed in this paper. The design parameters including electrical lengths and characteristic impedances can be obtained by the provided closed-form mathematical expressions when complex terminated impedances are known. Moreover, for convenient test, we design an impedance transformer to transform the complex impedance into real impedance using an extension line, and especially a reflection coefficient chart to solve it. Four special cases of 3-way Bagley Polygon power divider operating at 2.4 GHz are fabricated and measured with different condition complex terminated impedances for the purpose of verification. Excellent agreement between simulation and measurement results proves the validity of the design method. The presented Bagley Polygon power divider exhibits 180° phase difference between any two adjacent output ports and 0° phase difference between two symmetrical output ports and is suitable for multi-antenna and differential antenna system. Furthermore, simple layouts lead to convenient design procedure and easy fabrication.
"A Novel Multi-Way Power Divider Design with Arbitrary Complex Terminated Impedances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 53, 315-331, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13061306
1. Wilkinson, E., "An N-way hybrid power divider," IRE Trans.Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 8, No. 1, 116-118, 1960.
2. Chang, L., C. Liao, L. Chen, W. Lin, X. Zheng, and Y. Wu, "Design of an ultra-wideband power divider via the coarse-grained parallel micro-genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 425-440, 2012.
3. Peng, H., Z. Yang, Y. Liu, T. Yang, and K. Tan, "An improved UWB non-coplanar power divider," UWB non-coplanar power divider Research, Vol. 138, 31-39, 2013.
4. Lu, Y. L., G.-L. Dai, X. Wei, and E. Li, "A broadband out-of-phase power divider for high power applications using through ground via," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 653-667, 2013.
5. Wang, D., H. Zhang, T. Xu, H. Wang, and G. Zhang, "Design and optimization of equal split broadband microstrip Wilkinson power divider using enhanced particle swarm optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 321-334, 2011.
6. Liu, W., F. Wei, and X.-W. Shi, "A compact tri-band power divider based on triple-mode resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 283-291, 2013.
7. He, Z., J. Cai, Z. Shao, X. Li, and Y. Huang, "A novel power divider integrated with SIW and DGS technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 289-301, 2013.
8. Li, J., Y. Wu, Y. Liu, J. Shen, S. Li, and C. Yu, "A generalized coupled-line dual-band Wilkinson power divider with extended ports," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 197-214, 2012.
9. Deng, P., J. Guo, and W. Kuo, "New Wilkinson power dividers based on compact stepped-impedance transmission lines and shunt open stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 407-426, 2012.
10. Dai, G. and M. Xia, "A dual-band unequal Wilkinson power divider using asymmetric coupled-line," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1587-1595, 2011.
11. Wuren, T., K. Taniya, I. Sakagami, and M. Tahara, "Miniaturization of 3- and 5-way bagley polygon power dividers," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC) Proceedings, Vol. 4, Dec. 2005.
12. Sakagami, I., T. Wuren, M. Fujii, and Y. Tomoda, "A new type of multi-way microwave power divider based on bagley polygon power divider," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC) Proceedings, 1353-1356, 2006.
13. Sakagami, I., T. Wuren, M. Fujii, and M. Tahara, "Compact multi-way power dividers similar to the Bagley polygon," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium (IMS), 419-422, 2007.
14. Elles, D. and Y.-K. Yoon, "Compact dual band three way bagley polygon power divider using composite right/left handed (CRLH) transmission lines," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium (IMS), 485-488, 2009.
15. Sakagami, I. and T. Wuren, "Compact multi-way power dividers for dual-band, wide-band and easy fabrication," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium (IMS), 489-492, 2009.
16. Oraizi, H. and S. A. Ayati, "Optimum design of a modified 3-way Bagley rectangular power divider," Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 25-28, 2010.
17. Gomez-Garcia, R. and M. Sanchez-Renedo, "Application of generalized bagley-polygon four-port power dividers to designing microwave dual-band bandpass planar filters," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium (IMS), 580-583, 2010.
18. Liu, X., C. Yu, Y. Liu, S. Li, F. Wu, and Y. Wu, "Design of planar dual-band multi-way power dividers," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC) Proceedings, 722-725, 2010.
19. Shamaileh, K., A. Qaroot, and N. Dib, "Non-uniform transmission line transformers and their application in the design of compact multi-band Bagley power dividers with harmonics suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 269-284, 2011.
20. Milligan, T. A., "Transmission-line transformation between arbitrary impedances," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 24, No. 3, 159, 1976.
21. Potok, M. H. N., "Comments on `Transmission-line transformation between arbitrary impedances'," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 25, No. 1, 77, 1977.
22. Ahn, H. R., "Complex impedance transformers consisting of only transmission-line sections," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 7, 2073-2084, 2012.