The paper aims to investigate the use of the Finite Element Method for electrical and mechanical faults detection in three-phase squirrel cage, induction machines. The features of Finite Element Method are significant, which consider the physical mapping of stator winding and rotor bar distribution. Therefore, modeling of the faults in stator winding, rotor bars and air-gap eccentricity will be predicated in more accurate way. In comparison with conventional methods such as coupling method, the Finite Element Method considers the complex machine geometry, material type of the bar, current and the flux distributions within the electrical machines. As a result, the air-gap eccentricity and the broken bars can be modeled effectively using this approach. Motor current signature analysis has been used to give a decision about the fault occurrence. For the broken rotor bar, frequency of the sideband components around the fundamental is used to indicate the presence of fault. However, the sideband frequencies cannot be used to recognize the stator winding short circuit and eccentricities faults, where the harmonics have approximately the same frequency over the spectrum. The amplitude of the sideband harmonic components have been used to differentiate between them. It has been found that the inter-turn short circuit faults have a sideband harmonic component with amplitude greater than that in the case of the air-gap eccentricity faults. Also current paper introduce the detection of broken rotor bars based on stator current envelope technique.
Ahmed Jadaan Ali,
"Fault Prediction of Deep Bar Cage Rotor Induction Motor Based on FEM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 53, 291-314, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13061904
1. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, B. Akin, and H. A. Toliyat, "Finite-element transient analysis of induction motors under mixed eccentricity fault," IEEE Transactions on Magnetic, Vol. 44, 66-74, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2007.908479
2. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, B. Akin, and H. A. Toliyat, "Comprehensive eccentricity fault diagnosis in induction motors using FInite element method," IEEE Transactions on Magnetic, Vol. 45, 1764-1767, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012812
3. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, and M. B. B. Sharifian, "Finite element transient analysis of an on-load three-phase squirrel-cage induction motor with static eccentricity," IEEE Transactions on Magnetic, Vol. 44, 207-227, 2007.
4. Akin, B., U. Orguner, H. A. Toliyat, and M. Rayner, "Low order PWM inverter harmonics contributions to the inverter-fed induction machine fault diagnosis," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, 210-219, 2008.
5. Abdesselam, L. S., M. Ammar, and C. Guy, "Analysis of inter-turn short circuit in slots by finite element model," IEEE 10th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering (EEEIC), 1-4, Rome, Italy, May 8-11, 2011.
6. Verucchi, C. J., G. G. Acosta, and F. A. Benger, "A review on fault diagnosis of induction machines," Latin American Applied Research, 113-121, 2008.
7. Toliyat, H. A., M. S. Arefen, and A. G. Parlos, "A method for dynamic simulation of air-gap eccentricity in induction machines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 32, 910-918, 1996. doi:10.1109/28.511649
8. Nandi, S., R. M. Bharadwaj, and H. A. Toliyat, "Performance analysis of a three-phase induction motor under mixed eccentricity condition," IEEE Trans. Energy Conv., Vol. 17, 392-397, 2002. doi:10.1109/TEC.2002.801995
9. Nagarajan, S. and R. S. Rama, "Detection of inter-turn fault in three phase squirrel cage induction motor using finite element method," European Journal of Scientific Research, Vol. 58, 384-391, 2011.
10. Aileen, C. J., S. Nagarajan, and R. S. Rama, "Detection of broken bars in three phase squirrel cage induction motor using finite element method," IEEE 2011 International Conference on Emerging Trends in Electrical and Computer Technology (ICETECT), 249-254, Tamil Nadu, India, Mar. 23-24, 2011.
11. Wang, X. and D. Xie, "Analysis of induction motor using field-circuit coupled time-periodic finite element method taking account of hysteresis," IEEE Transactions on Magnetic, Vol. 45, 1740-1743, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012802
12. Nicola, B., Electrical Machine Analysis Using Finite Elements, 1st Ed., Taylor & Francis Group, USA, 2005.
13. Sarac, V. and G. Stefanov, "Calculation of electromagnetic fields in electrical machines using finite elements method," International Journal of Engineering and Industries, Vol. 2, 1-29, 2011.
14. Gmiden, M. H. and H. Trabelsi, "Calculation of two-axis induction motor model using finite elements with coupled circuit," IEEE 6th International Multi-conference on Systems, Signals and Devices (SSD'09), 1-6, Djerba, North Africa, Mar. 23-26, 2009.
15. De Weerdt, R. and E. Tuinman, "Finite element analysis of steady state behavior of squirrel cage induction motors compared with measurements," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 33, No. 2, 2093-2096, Mar. 1997. doi:10.1109/20.582733
16. Silwal, B. and A. Arkkio, Computation of eddy currents in a solid rotor induction machine with 2-D and 3-D FEM, Master Thesis, Aalto University, 2012.
17. Islam, M. J., Finite-element analysis of eddy currents in the form-wound multi-conductor windings of electrical machines, Doctoral Dissertation, Helsinki University of Technology, 2011.
18. Fu, W. N., P. Zhou, D. Lin, S. Stanton, and Z. J. Cendes, "Modeling of solid conductors in two-dimensional transient finite-element analysis and its application to electric machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetic, Vol. 40, No. 2, Mar. 2004.
19. Yang, T., L. Zhou, and L. Li, "Parameters and performance calculation of induction motor by nonlinear circuit-coupled finite element analysis," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics and Drive Systems, PEDS 2009, 979-984, 2009.
20. Lin, R. and A. Arkkio, "Calculation and analysis of stator end-winding leakage inductance of an induction machine," IEEE Transactions on Magnetic, Vol. 45, No. 4, Apr. 2009.
21. Aroui, T., Y. Koubaa, and A. Toumi, "Modeling of cage induction machines: Application to diagnosis," Third International Conference on Systems, Signals & Devices, Sousse, Tunisia, Mar. 21-24, 2005.
22. Aroui, T., Y. Koubaa, and A. Toumi, "Magnetic coupled circuits modeling of induction machines oriented to diagnostics," Leonardo Journal of Sciences, Vol. 13, 103-121, ISSN 1583-0233, Jul.-Dec. 2008.
23. Ying, X., "Characteristic performance analysis of squirrel cage induction motor with broken bars," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 2, 759-766, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2008.2009934
24. Faiz, J. and B. M. Ebrahimi, "Mixed fault diagnosis in three phase squirrel-cage induction motor using analysis of air-gap magnetic field," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, 239-255, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06080201
25. Mirafzal, B. and N. A. O. Demerdash, "Induction machine broken-bar fault diagnosis using the rotor magnetic field space-vector orientation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 40, 534-542, 2004. doi:10.1109/TIA.2004.824433
26. Mirafzal, B. and N. A. O. Demerdash, "Effects of load magnitude on diagnosing broken bar faults in induction motors using the pendulous oscillation of the rotor magnetic field orientation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, 771-783, 2005. doi:10.1109/TIA.2005.847315
27. Faiz, J. and I. Tabatabaei, "Extension of winding function theory for non-uniform air gap in electric machinery," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 38, 3654-3657, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2002.804805
28. Faiz, J., I. Tabatabaei, and H. A. Toliyat, "An evaluation of inductances of a squirrel-cage induction motor under mixed eccentric conditions," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 18, 252-258, 2003. doi:10.1109/TEC.2003.811740
29. Tabatabaei, I., J. Faiz, H. Lesani, and M. T. Nabavi-Razavi, "Modeling and simulation of a salient-pole synchronous generator with dynamic eccentricity using modified winding function theory," IEEE Transactions on Magnetic, Vol. 40, 1550-1555, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2004.826611
30. Ebrahimi, B. M., J. Faiz, S. Lotfi-Fard, and P. Pillay, "Novel indices for broken rotor bars fault diagnosis in induction motors using wavelet transform," ELSVIER Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 30, 131-145, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.ymssp.2012.01.026
31. Akar, M. and C. I. Ankaya, "Broken rotor bar fault detection in inverter-fed squirrel cage induction motors using stator current analysis and fuzzy logic," Turk. Journal Elec. Eng. & Comp. Sci., Vol. 20, 1077-1089, 2012.
32. Li, W., Y. Xie, J. Shen, and Y. Luo, "Finite element analysis of field distribution and characteristic performance of squirrel-cage induction motor with broken bars," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 43, 1537-1540, Apr. 2007.