Diamond dipole antennas with textile Artificial Magnetic Conductor (AMC) sheet-like waveguide were designed to investigate the possibility of improving transmission between antennas. Fleece fabric is used as the substrate of the textile AMC while SHIELDIT fabric is used as the conductive patches and ground plane. The AMC surface is designed to resonate at 2.45 GHz with the goal to enhance the transmission between antennas. A small textile AMC waveguide sheet as well as an AMC waveguide jacket were fabricated. The S-parameters performance of the two antennas with textile AMC sheet was investigated in a free space environment and near to human body setting. The effect of different antennas' orientations was also considered. Measurements were conducted thoroughly to validate the simulated findings. Compared to free space environment, S21 transmission between two dipoles is improved up to maximum -10 dB when having textile AMC waveguide sheet beneath them. For both off-body and on-body placements, significant transmission enhancement has been observed with the introduction of the AMC sheet-like waveguide. Directive radiation patterns with high gain have also been achieved with the proposed AMC waveguide jacket.
Mohamad Kamal Abd Rahim,
Noor Asmawati Samsuri,
Mohd Ezwan Bin Jalil,
Izni Husna Idris,
"Textile Artificial Magnetic Conductor Waveguide Jacket for on-Body Transmission Enhancement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 54, 45-68, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13072001
1. Kennedy, T. F., P. W. Fink, A. W. Chu, N. J. Champagne, G. Y. Lin, and M. A. Khayat, "Body-worn E-textile antennas: The good, the low-mass and the conformal," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 910-918, Apr. 2009.
2. Hall, P. S., Y. Hao, and K. Ito, "Special issue on antennas and propagation for body-centric wireless communications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 834-836, Apr. 2009.
3. Astrin, A. W., H.-B. Li, and R. Kohno, "Standardization for body area networks," IEICE Trans. on Commun., 366-372, Feb. 2009.
4. Jovanov, E., A. Milenkovic, C. Otto, and P. C. Groen, "A wireless body area network of intelligent motion sensors for computer assisted physical rehabilitation," Jour. of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation, Vol. 2, No. 6, Mar. 2005.
5. Kohno, R., K. Hamaguchi, H.-B. Li, and K. Takizawa, "R&D and standardization of body area network (BAN) for medical healthcare," IEEE Int. Conf. Ultra-Wideband, 5-8, Hannover, Germany, Sep. 10-12, 2008.
6. Milenkovic, A., C. Otto, and E. Jovanov, "Wireless sensor network for personal health monitoring: Issues and an implementation," Comp. Comm., Vol. 29, 2521-2533, 2006.
7. Al Ameen, M., J. Liu, and K. Kwak, "Security and privacy issues in wireless sensor networks for healthcare applications," Jour. of Medical Systems, Vol. 36, No. 1, 93-101, Feb. 2012.
8. Hall, P. S. and Y. Hao, "Antennas and propagation for body centric communications," Euro. Conf. Ant. Propag., 1-7, Nice, France, Nov. 6-10, 2006.
9. Haga, N., K. Saito, M. Takahashi, and K. Ito, "Characteristics of cavity slot antenna for body-area networks," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 837-843, Apr. 2009.
10. Gemio, J., J. Parron, and J. Soler, "Human body effects on implantable antennas for ISM bands applications: Models comparison and propagation losses study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 437-452, 2010.
11. Vidal, N., S. Curto, J. M. Lopez-Villages, J. Sieiro, and F. M. Ramos, "Detuning study of implantable antennas inside the human body," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 265-283, 2011.
12. Salonen, P., L. T. Sydänheimo, M. Keskilammi, and M. Kivikoski, "A small planar inverted-F antenna for wearable applications," Int. Symp. Wearable Comp., 95-100, California, USA, Oct. 18-19, 1999.
13. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. Abd Rahim, M. Azfar Abdullah, N. A. Samsuri, F. Zubir, and K. Kamardin, "Design, implementation and performance of ultra-wideband textile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 307-325, 2011.
14. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. Abd Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, H. A. M. Salim, and M. F. Ali, "Embroidered fully textile wearable antenna for medical monitoring applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 321-337, 2011.
15. Soh, P. J., S. J. Boyes, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, Y. Huang, and S. L. Ooi, "On-body characterization of dual-band all-textile PIFA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 517-539, 2012.
16. Sankaralingam, S. and B. Gupta, "Development of textile antennas for body wearable applications and investigations on their performance under bent conditions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 53-71, 2010.
17. Jais, M. I., M. F. B. Jamlos, M. Jusoh, T. Sabapathy, M. R. Kamarudin, R. B. Ahmad, A. A. A.-H. Azremi, E. I. Azmi, P. J. Soh, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and N. L. K. Ishak, "A novel 2.45 GHz switchable beam textile antenna for outdoor wireless body area network applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 613-627, 2013.
18. Jalil, M. E., M. K. A. Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, M. A. Abdullah, and K. Kamardin, "Wetness experiment for compact CPW-fed ultra wideband antenna using textile material," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conf. Applied Electromag., 298-301, 2012.
19. Lebaric, J. and A.-T. Tan, "Ultra wideband RF helmet antenna," IEEE Military Comm. Conf., 591-594, California, USA, Oct. 22-25, 2000.
20. Abramo, R., R. Adams, F. V. Canez, H. Price, and P. Haglind, "Fabrication and testing of the COMVIN vest antenna," IEEE Military Comm. Conf., 595-598, California, USA, Oct. 22-25, 2000.
21. Lebaric, J. E., R. W. Adler, and M. E. Limbert, "Ultra-wideband, zero visual signature RF vest antenna for man-portable radios," IEEE Comm. Network-Centric Operations, 1291-1294, Virginia, USA, Oct. 28-31, 2001.
22. Salonen, P., Y. Rahmat-Sami, H. Hurme, and M. Kivikoski, "Dual band wearable textile antenna," IEEE Ant. Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 463-466, California, USA, Jun. 20-25, 2004.
23. Eom, K. and H. Arai, "Smart suit: Wearable sheet-like waveguide for body-centric wireless communications," Europ. Wire. Tech. Conf., 1-4, Paris, France, Sep. 27-28, 2010.
24. Eom, K. and H. Arai, "A free access mat by tightly coupled patch array for short range wireless access," IEEE Ant. Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 441-444, Yokohama, Japan, Jun. 9-15, 2007.
25. Eom, K. and H. Arai, "Wireless power transfer using sheet-like waveguide," Euro. Conf. Ant. Propag., 3038-3041, Berlin, Germany, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
26. Bouwstra, S., W. Chen, L. M. G. Feijs, and S. B. Oetomo, "Smart jacket design for neonatal monitoring with wearable sensors," Int. Works. Wearable Implantable Body Sensor Net., 162-167, Berkeley, USA, Jun. 3-5, 2009.
27. Eom, K. and H. Arai, "Flexible sheet-shaped waveguide for body-centric wireless communications," IEEE Radio Wire. Symp., 76-79, New Jersey, USA, Jan. 10-14, 2010.
28. Eom, K. and H. Arai, "Smart blanket: Flexible and easy to couple waveguide," IEEE Topical Conf. on Biomed. Wire. Tech., Networks, and Sensing Sys., 15-18, Arizona, USA, Jan. 16-19, 2011.
29. Huang, M. D. and S. Y. Tan, "Efficient electrically small prolate spheroidal antennas coated with a shell of double-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 241-255, 2008.
30. Majid, H. A., M. K. Abd Rahim, and T. Masri, "Microstrip antenna's gain enhancement using left-handed metamaterial structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 235-247, 2009.
31. Zhou, B., H. Li, X. Zou, and T.-J. Cui, "Broadband and high-gain planar vivaldi antennas based on inhomogeneous anisotropic zero-index metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 235-247, 2011.
32. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexópolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999.
33. Simovski, C. R., P. de Maagt, S. A. Tretyakov, M. Paquay, and A. A. Sochava, "Angular stabilization of resonant frequency of artificial magnetic conductors of TE-incidence," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 2, 92-93, 2004.
34. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, Oct. 2003.
35. Abu, M., M. K. Abd Rahim, O. B. Ayop, and F. Zubir, "Triple-band printed dipole antenna with single-band AMC-HIS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 225-244, 2010.
36. De Cos, M. E., Y. Alvarez-Lopez, R. C. Hadarig, and F. Las Heras Andres, "Flexible uniplanar artificial magnetic conductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 349-362, 2010.
37. Kamardin, K., M. K. A. Rahim, P. S. Hall, N. A. Samsuri, M. E. Jalil, and M. Z. Anuar, "Textile waveguide sheet with artificial magnetic conductor structures for body centric wireless communication," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conf. App. Electromag., 257-261, 2012.
38. Kamardin, K., M. K. A. Rahim, P. S. Hall, N. A. Samsuri, M. E. Jalil, and O. Ayop, "Textile artificial magnetic conductor waveguide sheet with monopole antennas for body centric communication," 7th Europ. Conf. Ant. Propag., 366-370.