In this paper, we propose the design of multilayer frequency selective surfaces (FSS) waveguide band-pass filters (WBPF). The WBPFs are designed to operate at two different frequency channels, respectively 71-76 GHz (Rx) and 81-86 GHz (Tx). The cross section surface of the FSS is imposed by the WR12 waveguide rectangular section's dimensions. The WBPFs are inserted symmetrically in a T-junction waveguide to design a compact diplexer. This is a basic component developed for an efficient integration in the future E-band millimeter-wave transceiver. The multilayer FSS structure uses only non-resonant sub-wavelength unit cell elements; metallic patch and slot. To reach high channel isolation (≈ 70 dB) a seven order filter was required. Hence, each filter is composed of 13 capacitive and inductive metallic FSS spaced by 12 ultra-thin dielectric substrate layers. The dielectric material is Rogers Ultralam 3850 (Liquid Crystalline Polymer; LCP circuit material). The filter's overall thickness is < λ/4. The numerical studies have been performed using finite element method simulator (HFSS) and CST Studio Suites Tools. The experimental validation has been also done in the X band frequency by developing a fifth order FSS WBPF. Good agreements between simulated and measured results are obtained.
"A Compact Diplexer Based on Low Profile Multilayer FSS Filters for Ultra-High Data Rate Point to Point Wireless Communication System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 58, 71-82, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB13122101
2. Tang, H. J., W. Hong, J.-X. Chen, G. Q. Luo, and K. Wu, "Development of millimeter-wave planar diplexers based on complementary characters of dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filters with circular and elliptic cavities," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 4, 776-782, April 2007. doi:10.1109/22.402268
3. Morini, A. and T. Rozzi, "Analysis of compact E-plane diplexers in rectangular waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, No. 8, 1834-1839, 1995.
4. Athanasopoulos, N. and K. Voudouris, "Development of a 60 GHz Substrate integrated waveguide planar diplexer," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Millimeter Wave Integration Technologies, 128-131, Barcelona, Spain, 2011.
5. Ohira, M., H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Circuit synthesis for compact waveguide filters with closely-spaced frequency selective surfaces," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 1, No. 2, 366-370, August 2006.
6. Cai, S.-F., Q.-Y. Wang, Z.-Y. Wang, and Y.-F. Zhai, "Design of a FSS waveguide filter at 8.05 GHz," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Art of Miniaturizing RF and Microwave Passive Component, 173-175, Chengdu, China, December 14-15, 2008.
7. Tsuji, M., H. Deguchi, and M. Ohira, "A new frequency selective window for constructing waveguide bandpass filters with multiple attenuation poles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 20, 139-153, 2011. doi:10.1002/mmce.20025
8. Teo, P. T., K. S. Lee, and C. K. Lee, "Analysis and design of band-pass frequency-selective surfaces using the FEM CAD tool," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 5, 391-397, September 2004. doi:10.1002/0471723770
9. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces Theory and Design, Wiley-Interscience John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2000. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.895567
10. Sarabandi, K. and N. Behdad, "A frequency selective surface with miniaturized elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1239-1245, May 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2011382
11. Al-Joumayly, M. and N. Behdad, "A new technique for design of low-profile, second-order, bandpass frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 2, 452-459, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2078474
12. Behdad, N. and M. Al-Joumayly, "A generalized method for synthesizing low-profile, band-pass frequency selective surfaces with non-resonant constituting elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 4033-4041, December 2010.
13. Zhang, T., H. H. Ouslimani., Y. Letestu, A. Le Bayon, and L. Renard Darvil, "A low profile multilayer seventh order band-pass frequency selective surface (FSS) for millimeter-wave application," IEEE 13th, Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference: IEEE Industry/Government/Education Conf. (WAMICON), Cocoa Beach, USA, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048882
14. Behdad, N. and M. Al-Joumayly, "A generalized synthesis procedure for low-profile, frequency selective surfaces with odd-order bandpass responses," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2460-2464, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2011202
15. Behdad, N., M. Al-Joumayly, and M. Salehi, "A low-profile third-order bandpass frequency selective surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 2, 460-466, 2009. doi:10.1109/9780470544662
16. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001.
17. George, L., L. Y. Matthaei, E. M. T. Jones, and , Microwave Filters, Impedance-matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, Artech House, Inc., 1980. doi:10.1049/PBEW021E