In this paper, a compact asymmetric coplanar strip (ACS)-fed printed monopole antenna for tri-band WLAN/WiMAX applications is presented. The proposed antenna is composed of a circular-arc-shaped stepped monopole with dual operating frequencies at 2.4/5.7 GHz and a simple circular-arc-shaped strip with the third operating frequency at 3.5 GHz. The three resonant frequencies of the antenna can be controlled by adjusting the geometries and the sizes of the stepped monopole, the strip and the ground plane. The antenna occupies a very compact size of 22.1×12 mm2 including the ground plane, has nearly omnidirectional radiation characteristics and reasonable gain in the operating bands. The simple feeding structure, compactness and uniplanar design make it easy to be integrated within the portable device for wireless communications.
1. Zhu, S.-Z. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 926-935, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014527
2. He, X.-X., S. Hong, H.-G. Xiong, Q.-S. Zhang, and E.-M. Tentzeris, "Design of a novel high-gain dual-band antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 798-801, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2026495
3. Zhao, G., F.-S. Zhang, Y. Song, Z.-B.Weng, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact ring monopole antenna with double meander lines for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 187-194, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07031405
4. Han, Y., Y.-Z. Yin, Y.-Q.Wei, Y. Zhao, B. Li, and X.-N. Li, "A novel triple-band monopole antenna with double coupled C-shaped strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1308-1316, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311795762150
5. Song, K., Y.-Z. Yin, and B. Chen, "Triple-band open L-slot antenna with a slit and a strip for WLAN/WIMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 139-146, 2011.
6. Xie, J.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, J. Wang, and S.-L. Pan, "A novel tri-band circular slot patch antenna with an EBG structure for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 4, 493-502, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939312800030703
7. Zhang, X.-Q., Y.-C. Jiao, and W.-H. Wang, "Miniature triple-band CPW-fed monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 97-105, 2012.
8. Chang, T.-N., G.-Y. Shen, and J.-M. Lin, "CPW-fed antenna covering WiMAX 2.5/3.5/5.7 GHz bands," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 189-197, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735589
9. Deepu, V., R.-K. Raj, M. Joseph, M.-N. Suma, and P. Mohanan, "Compact asymmetric coplanar strip fed monopole antenna for multiband applications," EEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 8, 2351-2357, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.901847
10. Li, Y.-S., W.-X. Li, and Q.-B. Ye, "A compact asymmetric coplanar strip-fed dual-band antenna for 2.4/5.8 GHz WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 2066-2070, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27741
11. Li, X., X.-W. Shi, W. Hu, P. Fei, and J.-F. Yu, "Compact tri-band ACS-fed monopole antenna employing open-ended slots for wireless communication," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 388-391, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2252414
12. Wu, M.-T. and M.-L. Chuang, "Application of transmission-line model to dual-band stepped monopole antenna designing," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1449-1452, 2011.