In this article, a matching pursuit algorithm is developed to improve the performance of a passive multiplexing technique based on compressed sensing. This deconvolution technique is applied to RADAR imaging in the microwave range, starting from previous studies based on a compact coding device and L1-norm regularizations. This study demonstrates that in this context, the quality of the reconstructed RADAR images can be improved using an algorithm close to Hogbom's Clean, and based on a dictionary built with Tikhonov pseudo-inversions. The theoretical principle of this new algorithm is developed, followed by a parameters study. Finally, an experimental validation is presented to demonstrate the efficiency of this iterative algorithm.
1. Carsenat, D. and C. Decroze, "UWB antennas beamforming using passive time-reversal device," IEEE Antenn. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 779-782, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2207872
2. Hunt, J., T. Driscoll, A. Mrozack, G. Lipworth, M. Reynolds, D. Brady, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial apertures for computational imaging," Science, Vol. 339, 310-313, 2013. doi:10.1126/science.1230054
3. Lipworth, G., A. Mrozack, J. Hunt, D. L. Marks, T. Driscoll, D. Brady, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial apertures for coherent computational imaging on the physical layer," JOSA A, Vol. 30, No. 8, 1603-1612, 2013. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.30.001603
4. Fromenteze, T., C. Decroze, and D. Carsenat, "Waveform coding for passive multiplexing: Application to microwave imaging," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 2, 2014.
5. Hogbom, J. A., "Aperture synthesis with a non-regular distribution of interferometer baselines," Astronomy and Astrophysics Supplement Series, Vol. 15, 417, 1974.
6. Cornwell, T. J., "Hogbom’s CLEAN algorithm. Impact on astronomy and beyond," Astronomy and Astrophysics, Vol. 500, 65-66, 2009. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/200912148
7. Cramer, R. J.-M., R. A. Scholtz, and M. Z. Win, "Evaluation of an ultrawide-band propagation channel," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 5, 561-570, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.1011221
8. Akhdar, O., M. Mouhamadou, D. Carsenat, C. Decroze, and T. Monediere, "A new CLEAN algorithm for angle of arrival denoising," IEEE Antenn. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 478-481, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2014890
9. Tsao, J. and R. D. Steinberg, "Reduction of sidelobe and speckle artifacts in microwave imaging: The CLEAN technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, 543-556, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1144
10. Fry, R. D. and D. A. Gray, "CLEAN deconvolution for sidelobe suppression in random noise radar," IEEE International Conference on Radar, 209-212, 2008.
11. Candes, E. J. and T. Tao, "Near-optimal signal recovery from random projections: Universal encoding strategies," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 52, No. 12, 5406-5425, 2006. doi:10.1109/TIT.2006.885507