A microstrip antenna design is introduced in which aperture coupled rectangular microstrip patch is coupled electromagnetically with a parasitic gridded rectangular patch placed above. The gridded patch consists of nine identical rectangular parts separated by a distance which is much smaller than a free space wavelength for a central frequency. The antenna is designed to operate in the 60 GHz band and is fabricated on a conventional PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) thin substrate. Different published arrangements for parasitic patches are studied. For the same substrate and central frequency the proposed antenna has improved return loss bandwidth and gain bandwidth for approximately the same maximum gain. Measurement results are in good agreement with simulation. Measured 10 dB return loss bandwidth is from 54 GHz up to 67 GHz. It fully covers the unlicensed band around 60 GHz. The measured antenna realized gain at 60 GHz is close to 8 dB, while the simulated antenna radiation efficiency is 85%. A simple beam shifting method is possible for this antenna structure by connecting adjacent outside parts in the gridded patch. The designed antenna is suitable for a high speed wireless communication system in particular for a user terminal in a fifth generation (5G) cellular network.
"Gridded Parasitic Patch Stacked Microstrip Antenna with Beam Shift Capability for 60 GHz
Band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 62, 319-331, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERB15012303
1. Schulte, B., M. Peter, R. Felbecker, W. Keusgen, R. Steffen, H. Schumacher, M. Hellfeld, A. Barghouthi, S. Krone, F. Guderian, G. P. Fettweis, and V. Ziegler, "60 GHz WLAN applications and implementation aspects," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 3, No. Special Issue 2, 213-221, Apr. 2011. doi:10.1017/S1759078711000389
2. Wells, J., "Faster than fiber: The future of multi-Gb/s wireless," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 10, No. 3, 104-112, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/MMM.2009.932081
3. Guo, N., R. C. Qiu, S. S. Mo, and K. Takahashi, "60-GHz millimeter-wave radio: Principle, technology, and new results," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2007, No. 1, 48-48, 2007. doi:10.1155/2007/98938
4. Liu, D., U. Pfeiffer, J. Grzyb, and B. Gaucher, Advanced Millimeter-wave Technologies: Antennas, Packaging and Circuits, John Wiley & Sons, 2009. doi:10.1002/9780470742969
5. Li, R., G. DeJean, M. Maeng, K. Lim, S. Pinel, M. M. Tentzeris, and J. Laskar, "Design of compact stacked-patch antennas in LTCC multilayer packaging modules for wireless applications," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 27, No. 4, 581-589, 2004. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2004.831866
6. Chahat, N., M. Zhadobov, and R. Sauleau, "Wearable textile patch antenna for BAN at 60 GHz," 2013 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 217-219, IEEE, 2013.
7. Lamminen, A. E. I., J. Saily, and A. R. Vimpari, "60-GHz patch antennas and arrays on LTCC with embedded-cavity substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2865-2874, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.927560
8. Hong, W., A. Goudelev, K.-H. Baek, V. Arkhipenkov, and J. Lee, "24-element antenna-in-package for stationary 60-GHz communication scenarios," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 738-741, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2162640
9. Yang, B., A. Yarovoy, and S. E. Amaldoss, "Performance analysis of a novel LTCC UWB 60 GHz semi-shielded aperture stacked patch antenna with differential feeding," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1882-1885, IEEE, 2011.
10. Seki, T., N. Honma, K. Nishikawa, and K. Tsunekawa, "Millimeter-wave high-efficiency multilayer parasitic microstrip antenna array on teflon substrate," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 6, 2101-2106, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.848757
11. Bondarik, A., D. S. Jun, J. M. Kim, and J. H. Yun, "Investigation of microstrip antenna array stacked structure realized on LTCC for 60GHz band," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 3, 648-652, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25006
12. Tsao, C. H., Y. M. Hwang, F. Kilburg, and F. Dietrich, "Aperture-coupled patch antennas with wide-bandwidth and dual-polarization capabilities," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S. Digest, 936-939, IEEE, 1988.
13. Croq, F. and D. M. Pozar, "Millimeter-wave design of wide-band aperture-coupled stacked microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 12, 1770-1776, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.121599
14. Targonski, S. D. and R. B. Waterhouse, "An aperture coupled stacked patch antenna with 50% bandwidth," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S. Digest, Vol. 1, 18-21, IEEE, 1996.
15. Targonski, S. D., R. B. Waterhouse, and D. M. Pozar, "Design of wide-band aperture-stacked patch microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 9, 1245-1251, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.719966
16. Waterhouse, R. B., "Design and performance of large phased arrays of aperture stacked patches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 2, 292-297, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.914296
17. Kumar, G. and K. C. Gupta, "Nonradiating edges and four edges gap-coupled multiple resonator broad-band microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 2, 173-178, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143563
18. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, "Stacked gap-coupled multi-resonator rectangular microstrip antennas," 2001 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 514-517, IEEE, 2001. doi:10.1109/APS.2001.960147
20. Legay, H. and L. Shafai, "New stacked microstrip antenna with large bandwidth and high gain," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 141, No. 3, 199-204, 1994. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19941041
21. Boccardi, F., R.W. Heath, A. Lozano, T. L. Marzetta, and P. Popovski, "Five disruptive technology directions for 5G," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 74-80, Feb. 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736746
22. Derneryd, A. and A. Lind, "Extended analysis of rectangular microstrip resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 27, No. 6, 846-849, 1979. doi:10.1109/TAP.1979.1142206
23. Lamminen, A. E. I., A. R. Vimpari, and J. Saily, "UC-EBG on LTCC for 60-GHz frequency band antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2904-2912, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029311
24. IEEE standard test procedures for antennas, IEEE Std 149-1979 (R2008), 2008.
25. Luther, J. J., S. Ebadi, and X. Gong, "A microstrip patch electronically steerable parasitic array radiator (ESPAR) antenna with reactance-tuned coupling and maintained resonance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 1803-1813, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186265