In this paper, a SPICE model representative for the mode conversion occurring in differential lines affected by imbalance either of the line cross-section and the terminal networks is developed. The model is based on the assumption of weak imbalance and allows approximate prediction of modal quantities, through separate modeling of the contributions due to line and termination imbalance by controlled sources with (possibly) frequency dependent gain. The proposed SPICE model is used to perform worst-case prediction of undesired modal voltages induced at line terminals by mode conversion.
Sergio A. Pignari,
"Modeling of Imbalance in Differential Lines Targeted to SPICE Simulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 62, 225-239, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERB15012304
1. Boni, A., A. Pierazzi, and D. Vecchi, "LVDS I/O interface for Gb/s per pin operation in 0.35-μm CMOS," IEEE Jour. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 36, No. 4, 706-711, 2001. doi:10.1109/4.913751
2. Kami, Y., F. Xiao, and K. Murano, "Mode-port-network approach to analyze power-line EMC problems for PLC," Proc. 20th Int. Zurich Symp. on Electromagn. Compat., 9-12, Zurich, Switzerland, 2009.
3. Hagmann, J. H. and S. Dickmann, "Determination of mode conversion on differential lines," Proc. EMC Europe 2008, 1-5, Hamburg, Germany, 2008.
4. Shimazaki, M. and H. Asai, "Evaluation method of balance mismatch using CMRR measurement for printed circuit board," Proc. Asia-Pacific EMC Conference (APEMC), 101-104, Tokyo, Japan, 2014.
5. Kayano, Y., Y. Tsuda, and H. Inoue, "Identifying EM radiation from asymmetrical differential-paired lines with equi-distance routing," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. EMC, 311-316, Pittsburgh, USA, 2012.
6. Grassi, F., G. Spadacini, and S. A. Pignari, "The concept of weak imbalance and its role in the emissions and immunity of differential lines," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1346-1349, 2013. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2013.2261302
7. Miri, M. and M. McLain, "Electromagnetic radiation from unbalanced transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 43, 129-150, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB11090604
8. Grassi, F. and S. A. Pignari, "Bulk current injection in twisted-wire pairs with not perfectly balanced terminations," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1293-1301, 2013. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2013.2255295
9. Grassi, F. and S. A. Pignari, "Immunity to conducted noise of data transmission along DC power lines involving twisted-wire pairs above ground," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 55, No. 1, 195-207, 2013. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2012.2208117
10. Paul, C. R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, J. Wiley and Sons, New York, 2006.
11. ITU-T Recommendation G.117, "Transmission aspects of unbalance about earth,", Switzerland, 1989.
12. Smith, S. B., S. S. Agili, and V. Balasubramanian, "Theory and measurement of unbalanced differential-mode transmission lines," Proc. DesignCon. 2006, 2006.
14. Wu, X., Y. Yang, F. Grassi, G. Spadacini, and S. A. Pignari, "Statistical characterization of line-imbalance in differential lines," Proc. XXXIth General Assembly of International Union of Radio Science (URSI), Beijing, P. R. China, 2014.
15. Grassi, F., Y. Yang, X. Wu, G. Spadacini, and S. A. Pignari, "On mode conversion in geometrically unbalanced differential lines and its analogy with crosstalk," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Early Access Article, DOI: 10.1109/TEMC.2014.2372894. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2012.2208117
16. Xie, H., J. Wang, R. Fan, and Y. Liu, "Study of loss effect of transmission lines and validity of a spice model in electromagnetic topology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 89-103, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08121605
17. Xie, H., J. Wang, R. Fan, and Y. Liu, "SPICE models for radiated and conducted susceptibility analyses of multiconductor shielded cables," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 241-257, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10020506
18. Caniggia, S. and F. Maradei, "SPICE-like models for the analysis of conducted and radiated immunity of shielded cables," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 4, 606-616, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.837841
19. Kung, F. W. L. and H. T. Chuah, "System modeling of high-speed digital printed circuit board using SPICE," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 20, 179-211, 1998. doi:10.2528/PIER97111900
20. Shi, X., W. M. Lim, M. A. Do, and C. C. Boon, "A SPICE compatible model of on-wafer coupled interconnects for CMOS RFICS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 287-299, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10010608
21. Cadence-Orcad, PSPICE User Guide, 2000.
22. Clements, J. C., C. R. Paul, and A. T. Adams, "Computation of the capacitance matrix for systems of dielectric-coated cylindrical conductors," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 17, No. 4, 238-248, 1975. doi:10.1109/TEMC.1975.303430