Nowadays new safety related systems design include electromagnetic analysis (EMA) during their development. Each of these systems is composed by smaller apparatuses that contain electronic components able to emit electromagnetic (EM) waves. On the other hand, the usage of smaller integrated circuit increase their susceptibility to EM interference. Companies often underestimate the importance of emissions lower than standard limits. A method based on near-field (NF) to far-field (FF) transformation is introduced in order to evaluate radiated emission leakage. This study is an important novelty to analyze electromagnetic issues in the case of safety related systems. Moreover, authors presented how this method is positioned as to current standards. Effectively NF-FF is proposed for site survey analysis on assembled systems where EM leakages should be mitigated to avoid EM attacks. Tools and measurements presented here can be used to sketch the virtual EM (VEM) interface of device-under-test (DUT) in terms of emissions amplitude, frequency and direction. An opponent could use this information to jam these systems utilizing an attack model based on a circular antenna here presented. The results indicate that it is feasible to use this methodology to analyze EM radiated emissions starting from NF information. Compared with current immunity test levels, the EM attack planned on VEM interface characteristics can be deemed efficiently against safety related systems.
"Near-Field Measurements for Safety Related Systems and Jamming Attack," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 62, 289-302, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERB15021108
7. Soderi, S., M. Papini, M. Hamalainen, and J. Iinatti, "NF-FF transformation for emissions and security," 1st IEEE International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic Modeling and Optimization (NEMO), May 2014.
11. Ruddle, A., "Electromagnetic modelling for emc," IET 7th International Conference on Computation in Electromagnetics (CEM), 170-174, Apr. 2008. doi:10.1049/cp:20080253
12. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley-Interscience, 2005.
13. Anderson, R. J., Security Engineering --- A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems, 2nd Ed., Wiley, 2008.
14. Compromising electromagnetic emanations of wired and wireless keyboards, Online Available: https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/sec09/tech/full papers/vuagnoux.pdf.
15. Agrawal, D., B. Archambeault, J. R. Rao, and P. Rohatgi, The EM side-channel(s): Attacks and assessment methodologies, Online Available: https://web.cs.jhu.edu/astubble/600.412/s-cpapers/em.pdf.
16. Li, H., A. Markettos, and S. Moore, "Security evaluation against electromagnetic analysis at design time," Tenth IEEE International High-Level Design Validation and Test Workshop, 211-218, 2005.
17. Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) --- Parts 1-2: General --- Methodology for the achievement of functional safety of electrical and electronic systems including equipment with regard to electromagnetic phenomena, IEC 61000-1-2, 2010.
18. Ogunsola, A. and A. Mariscotti, Electromagnetic Compatibility in Railways: Analysis and Management (Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering), Vol. 168, Springer, 2013.
19. Armstrong, K., "EMI and functional safety why traditional immunity testing is inadequate and what should be done instead," 17th International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, EMC-Zurich 2006, 469-472, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1109/EMCZUR.2006.214973
20. Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) --- Parts 6-7: Generic standards --- Immunity requirements for equipment intended to perform functions in a safety-related system (functional safety) in industrial locations, IEC 61000-6-7, 2014.
21. Alvarez, Y., M. Rodr´ıguez, F. Las-Heras, and M. Hernando, "On the use of the source reconstruction method for estimating radiated emi in electronic circuits," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3174-3183, 2010. doi:10.1109/TIM.2009.2036455
22. Las-Heras, F. and T. Sarkar, "A direct optimization approach for source reconstruction and NF-FF transformation using amplitude-only data," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 4, 500-510, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.1003386
23. Sarkar, T., "A super-resolution source reconstruction method using free space green’s function," IEEE International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems (ICWITS), 1-4, 2010.
24. Markov, S. N., Antenna and EM Modeling with MATLAB, Wiley, 2002.
25. Bucci, O., C. Gennarelli, and C. Savarese, "Representation of electromagnetic fields over arbitrary surfaces by a finite and nonredundant number of samples," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 3, 351-359, Mar. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.662654
26. Las-Heras, F. and T. Sarkar, "Planar NF-FF with direct optimization-source reconstruction using amplitude only data," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 618-621, 2001.
28. Bertocco, M., D. Dainese, and A. Sona, "Evaluation of telecommunication station parameters by means em field measurements," Proceedings of the 21st IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, IMTC 04, Vol. 1, 273-277, May 2004. doi:10.1109/IMTC.2004.1351043
30. Mezouari, S. and A. Harvey, "Validity of Fresnel and Fraunhofer approximations in scalar diffraction," Journal of Optics A --- Pure and Applied Optics, Vol. 5, No. 4, S86-S91, Jul. 2003. doi:10.1088/1464-4258/5/4/360
31. Specification for radio disturbance and immunity measuring apparatus and methods --- Part 1-1: Radio disturbance and immunity measuring apparatus --- Measuring apparatus, CISPR 16-1-1, 2010.