A single layer, single feed microstrip antenna with multifrequency operation in compact size is proposed. A modified inverted π-shaped slot is introduced at the left side radiating edge of the patch to reduce the size of the antenna by reducing the resonant frequency. Multiple resonant frequencies with increased frequency ratio are also obtained by cutting the modified inverted π-shaped slot. The measured result shows that the proposed antenna resonates at 3.3, 4.55, 5.56 and 6.08 GHz in microwave S and C band. The size of the proposed patch is only 0.176λL×0.132λL at its lower operating frequency. The proposed patch antenna has achieved 68% size reduction as compared with the conventional rectangular microstrip antenna with same patch area. An extensive analysis of the reflection coefficient, voltage standing wave ratio, gain, radiation efficiency and radiation pattern of the proposed antenna is presented in this paper. The proposed antenna is suitable for WiMax and HiPERLAN wireless systems.
Partha Pratim Sarkar,
Santosh Kumar Chowdhury,
"Modified Π-Shaped Slot Loaded Multifrequency Microstrip Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 64, 103-117, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERB15090905
1. Kuo, J. S. and K. L. Wong, "A compact microstrip antenna with meandering slots in the ground plane," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 29, 95-97, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1095
2. Rezvani, S., Z. Atlasbaf, and K. Forooraghi, "A novel miniaturized reconfigurable slotted microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Electromagn., Vol. 31, 349-354, 2011. doi:10.1080/02726343.2011.579766
4. Mitra, D. and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "CPW-fed miniaturized split ring-loaded slot antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, 1907-1911, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26926
5. Elsdon, M., A. Sambell, and Y. Qin, "Reduced size direct planar-fed patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, 884-886, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20051858
6. Bhunia, S., M. K. Pain, S. Biswas, D. Sarkar, P. P. Sarkar, and B. Gupta, "Investigations on microstrip patch antennas with different slots and feeding points," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 2754-2758, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23790
7. Singh, L. L. K., B. Gupta, P. P. Sarkar, K. Yoshitomi, and K. Yasumoto, "Cross slot multi frequency patch antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 611-615, 2011.
8. Chakraborty, U., S. Chatterjee, S. K. Chowdhury, and P. P. Sarkar, "A compact microstrip patch antenna for wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 211-220, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10101205
9. Chatterjee, S., S. K. Chowdhury, P. P. Sarkar, and D. C. Sarkar, "Compact microstrip patch antenna for microwave communication," Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys., Vol. 51, 800-807, 2013.
10. Malekpoor, H. and S. Jam, "Design of a multiband asymmetric patch antenna for wireless applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 730-734, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27449
11. Kaya, A., "Meandered slot and slit loaded compact microstrip antenna with integrated impedance tuning network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 219-235, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102601
12. Das, S., A. Karmakar, P. P. Sarkar, and S. K. Chowdhury, "Design and analysis of a novel open ended T-shaped slot loaded compact multifrequency microstrip patch antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 316-322, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28027
13. Park, Z. and C.-H. Cho, "Size reduction and multiresonance effects of slotted single layer edge-fed patch antennas," J. Korean Phys. Soc., Vol. 61, 623-625, 2012. doi:10.3938/jkps.61.623
14. Dasgupta, S., B. Gupta, and H. Saha, "Compact equilateral triangular patch antenna with slot loading," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 268-274, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28073
15. Das, S., P. P. Sarkar, and S. K. Chowdhury, "Design and analysis of a compact monitor-shaped multifrequency microstrip patch antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 7, 827-837, 2014. doi:10.1080/09205071.2014.892441
16. Reed, S., L. Desclos, C. Teret, and S. Toutain, "Patch antenna size reduction by means of inductive slots," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 29, 79-81, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1089
17. Gautam, A. K., P. Benjwal, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A compact square microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, 897-900, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26746
18. Kim, J.-M., K.-W. Kim, J.-G. Yook, and H.-K. Park, "Compact stripline-fed meander slot antenna," Electronics Lett., Vol. 37, 995-996, 2001. doi:10.1049/el:20010667
19. Song, M.-H. and J.-M. Woo, "Miniaturization of microstrip patch antenna using perturbation of radiating slot," Electronics Lett., Vol. 39, 417-419, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030260
20. Xue, Q., K. M. Shum, C. H. Chan, and K. M. Luk, "A novel printed microstrip window antenna for size reduction and circuit embedding," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 32, 192-194, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10127
21. Gosalia, K. and G. Lazzi, "Reduced size, dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2182-2186, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816344
22. Zeland Software Inc., "IE3D: MoM-based EM simulator,", Zeland Software Inc., Fremont, CA.
23. Das, S., P. P. Sarkar, and S. K. Chowdhury, "Investigations on miniaturized multifrequency microstrip patch antennas for wireless communication applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 9, 1145-1162, 2013. doi:10.1080/09205071.2013.802656