An ultra-wide band 45° phase shifter based on a new planar artificial transmission line which can be used for UWB communication systems is presented. The planar artificial transmission line is composed of host line, grounded interdigital capacitors and meandered-line inductors. The phase shifter was measured to have a bandwidth about 114.7% (2.9 GHz to 10.7 GHz) for a maximum phase deviation of 2.9°, a maximum insertion loss of 1.2 dB, a minimum return loss of 13 dB and a compact size of 16.35 mm × 5.2 mm.
"Planar Ultra-Wideband Phase Shifter Using a Novel Type of Artificial Transmission Line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 60, 31-35, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15101201
6. Sellal, K., L. Talbi, T. A. Denidni, and J. Lebel, "Design and implementation of a substrate integrated waveguide phase shifter," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 2, 194-199, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.3025303
7. He, P., J. Gao, C. Marinis, P. Parimi, C. Vittoria, and V. Harris, "A microstrip tunable negative refractive index metamaterial and phase shifter," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 19, 193505-1-193505-3, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20083364
8. Zheng, S. Y., S. H. Yeung, W. S. Chan, K. F. Man, and S. H. Leung, "Improved broadband dumb-bell-shaped phase shifter using multi-se-ction stubs," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 7, 478-480, Mar. 2008.
9. Tang, X. and K. Mouthaan, "Design of a UWB phase shifter using shunt λ/4 stubs," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1021-1024, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1002/0471754323
10. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave, Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2204899
11. Yeung, S. H., Q. Xue, and K. F. Man, "Broadband 90◦ differential phase shifter constructed using a pair of multisection radial line stubs," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 9, 2760-2776, Sep. 2012.