A broadband Fabry-Perot cavity antenna (FPCA) operates at Ka band with high gain and dual-polarization is reported. The proposed antenna employed a double-sided complementary-circular partially reflective surface (PRS) to enhance the directivity bandwidth. A square patch coupled by two orthogonal slots and fed by two microstrip lines was applied as the primary feed to achieve dual-polarization operation. To further improve the impedance bandwidth and directivity, a series of metal vias were suggested to surround the primary patch. This FPCA design was verified by the measurements. The experimental results show that the common impedance bandwidth of the two ports for the reflection coefficient (S11) below -10 dB is 2.5 GHz from 34 GHz to 36.5 GHz (7.1%), which covers the common 3 dB gain bandwidth of the two ports. At the center frequency of 35 GHz, the measured peak gains at the two orthogonal ports are 16.1 dBi and 15.1 dBi, respectively. The isolation between the two ports is higher than 30 dB within the bandwidth.
"A Dual-Polarized Fabry-Perot Cavity Antenna at Ka Band with Broadband and High Gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 60, 179-186, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15110501
1. Valliappan, N., A. Lozano, and R. W. Heath, "Antenna subset modulation for secure millimeter-wave wireless communication," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 61, No. 8, 3231-3245, Aug. 2013. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2013.061013.120459
2. Shinohara, N., "Recent wireless power transmission via microwave and millimeter-wave in Japan," 2012 42nd European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1347-1350, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oct. 2012.
4. Feresidis, A. P. and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "High gain planar antenna using optimised partially reflective surfaces," IEE Proc. - Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 148, No. 6, 345-350, Dec. 2001. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20010828
5. Costa, F. and A. Monorchio, "Design of subwavelength tunable and steerable Fabry-Perot/leaky wave antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 467-481, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10111702
6. Sauleau, R., P. Coquet, and T. Matsui, "Low-profile directive quasi-planar antennas based on millimetre wave Fabry-Perot cavities," IEE Proc. - Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 150, No. 4, 274-278, Aug. 2003. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20030416
7. Lee, Y., X. Lu, Y. Hao, S. Yang, J. Evans, and C. G. Parini, "Low-profile directive millimeter-wave antennas using free-formed three-dimensional (3-D) electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2893-2903, Oct. 2009.
8. Kai, L., D. Yong, and W. L. Kwok, "A new Fabry-Perot resonator antenna fed by an L-probe," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1237-1244, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180353
9. Hosseini, S. A., F. Capolino, and F. De Flaviis, "Q-band single-layer planar Fabry-Perot cavity antenna with single integrated-feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 52, 135-144, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14061808
10. Weily, A. R., K. P. Esselle, T. S. Bird, and B. C. Sanders, "Dual resonator 1-D EBG antenna with slot array feed for improved radiation bandwidth," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 1, 198-203, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20050314
11. Alkhatib, R. and M. Drissi, "Improvement of bandwidth and efficiency for directive superstrate EBG antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 13, 702-703, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20070808
12. Leger, L., T. Monediere, and B. Jecko, "Enhancement of gain and radiation bandwidth for a planar 1-D EBG antenna," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 9, 573-575, Sep. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.855373
13. Konstantinidis, K., A. P. Feresidis, and P. S. Hall, "Multilayer partially reflective surfaces for broadband Fabry-Perot cavity antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 7, 3474-3481, Jul. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2320755
14. Wang, N., Q. Liu, C. Wu, L. Talbi, Q. Zeng, and J. Xu, "Wideband Fabry-Perot resonator antenna with two complementary FSS layers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 5, 2463-2471, May 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2308533
15. Wang, M., Q. Ye, W. Wu, and D.-G. Fang, "A dual-polarized Fabry-Perot resonator antenna," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference Antennas Propag. (APCAP), 31-32, Singapore, Aug. 2012.
16. Sabri, L., N. Amiri, and K. Forooraghi, "Dual-band and dual-polarized SIW-fed microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1605-1608, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2339363
17. Vaid, S. and A. Mittal, "A three layer circularly polarized resonant cavity antenna," IEEE International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 45-48, Bangalore, Dec. 2014.