This paper presents the design, simulation, fabrication and measurement of a wideband bandpass filter with wide stopband performance operating at 3.5 GHz. The proposed filter consists of two parallel coupled lines (T-PCL) centered by T-inverted shape. The location of transmission zeros can be adjusted by varying the physical lengths of T-inverted shape to improve the filter selectivity. The wide bandwidth is achieved through enhanced coupling between the input and the parallel coupled lines. Due to the transmission zeros in the lower and upper stopbands, the filter exhibits good performance including an extremely wide stopband and sharp attenuations near the passband together with low insertion and good return losses in the passband. The filter performance is investigated numerically by using CST-MWS. Finally, the microstrip wideband BPF with minimum insertion losses 0.3 dB, centered at 3.5 GHz with a 3-dB fraction bandwidth of 70 % and four transmission zeros is implemented and verified experimentally. In addition, good agreement between the simulated and measured results is achieved.
Angel Mediavilla Sanchez,
"A Novel Wideband Bandpass Filter Using Coupled Lines and T-Shaped Transmission Lines with Wide Stopband on Low-Cost Substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 67, 143-152, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16062204
2. Lei, Z., S. Sheng, and R. Li, Microstrip Filters for Rf/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New Jersey, 2012.
3. Zhang, R. and L. Zhu, "Synthesis design of a wideband bandpass filter with inductively coupled short-circuited multi-mode resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 10, 509-511, Oct. 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2218096
4. Wu, X.-H., X.-B. Wei., H.-G. Lv., and Y. Shi, "Compact bandpass filter with multiple transmission zeros using modified stepped-impedance resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 13, 1741-1748, Oct. 2015. doi:10.1080/09205071.2015.1060140
5. Wu, C.-H., Y.-S. Lin, C.-H. Wang, and H. C. Chun, "Compact microstrip coupled-line bandpass filter with two cross-couplings for creating multiple transmission zeros," European Microwave Conference, Oct. 4–6, 2005.
6. Wang, H., Q. X. Chu, and J. Q. Gong, "A compact wideband microstrip filter using folded multiplemode resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 5, 287-289, 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2017591
7. Ma, X.-B. and T. Jiang, "Wideband bandpass filter with controllable bandwidth and high selectivity using two different types of resonators," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1319-1323, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29085
8. Yu, C. C., C.-H. Kao, M.-H. Weng, and R.-Y. Yang, "Design of the compact wideband bandpass filter with low loss, high selectivity and wide stopband," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 12, 770-772, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2007691
9. Huang, Y. J.-M., B. Zhang, and S. S. Li, "Novel compact quad-mode wideband bandpass filter with wide stopband using T-shaped resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 3, 326-333, 2014. doi:10.1080/09205071.2013.870053
10. Feng, W., X. Gao, and W. Che, "Bandpass filters with improved selectivity based on dual-mode ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 56, 1-7, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15072609
11. Feng, W. J., W. Q. Che, Y. M. Chang, S. Y. Shi, and Q. Xue, "High selectivity fifth-order wideband bandpass filters with multiple transmission zeros based on transversal signal-interaction concepts," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 1, 89-97, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2227785
12. Chen, H. and H. Zhao, "A novel microstrip bandpass filter with an elliptic-function response using improved dual-stub resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 16, 2224-2231, 2015. doi:10.1080/09205071.2015.1090348
13. Chen, H., P. Tang, K Chen, H. Zhao, and H. Zhong, "Wideband dual-mode bandpass filter using a modified right-triangular patch resonator overlapped with input/output DMS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 11, 1365-1371, 2013. doi:10.1080/09205071.2013.808600
14. Feng, W.-J., X. Gao, and W.-Q. Che, "Bandpass filters with multiple transmission zeros using open/shorted stubs," IET Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, No. 8, 769-774, 2015.
15. Park, J. S., J. S. Yun, and D. Ahn, "A design of the novel coupled-line bandpass filter using defected ground structure with wide stopband performance," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 9, 2037-2043, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.802313
16. Boutejdar, A., A. Elsherbini, and A. S. Omar, "Method for widening the reject-band in lowpass/ band-pass filters by employing coupled C-shaped defected ground structure," IET Microwaves. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 8, 759-765, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20070270
17. Boutejdar, A., A. Batmanov, A. Omar, and E. Burte, "A miniature 3.1GHz microstrip bandpass filter with suppression of spurious harmonics using multilayer technique and defected ground structure open-loop ring," Ultra-Wideband, Short Pulse Electromagnetics, Vol. 9, 171-178, 2010.
18. Song, K. and Q. Xue, "Novel broadband bandpass filters using Y-shaped dual-mode microstrip resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 19, No. 9, 548-550, 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2027058
19. Luo, X., H. Qian, J.-G. Ma, and E.-P. Li, "Wideband bandpass filter with excellent selectivity using new CSRR-based resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 20, 1390-1391, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.1817
20. Mandal, M. K. and S. Sanyal, "Design of wide-band, sharp-rejection bandpass filters with parallelcoupled lines," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 16, No. 11, 597-599, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.884904
21. Chaimool, S. and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Miniaturized wideband bandpass filter with wide stopband using metamaterial-based resonator and defected ground structure," Radioengineering, Vol. 21, No. 2, 611-616, 2012.