In this paper, a compact wideband planar balun is studied and investigated. The proposed balun comprises a broadband Wilkinson divider followed by non-coupled lines to attain wideband 180° phase shift. Due to the inherent broadband characteristics of the proposed structure, good performance is accomplished in terms of phase and amplitude balance. The balun is optimally designed and validated by experiments. Both measured and computed results have shown a return loss better than -10 dB, an insertion loss around of -3.15 dB with a maximum absolute phase and amplitude imbalance around 2.5° and 0.2 dB over frequency range from 700 to 3200 MHz. Practical and computed results of the present balun are in good agreement.
Issa Tamer Elfergani,
Abubakar Sadiq Hussaini,
Ammar H. Ali,
Chan Hwang See,
Raed A. Abd-Alhameed,
"A Compact and Broadband Balun Design for LTE Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 67, 85-95, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16071805
1. Gao, Y., Z. Tang, B. Zhang, and Y. Q. Wu, "Ultra-wideband double balanced mixer utilizing a compact planar balun," Microwave Journal, Vol. 57, No. 5, 172, May 2014.
2. He, J., H. Qureshi, W. Sneijers, D. A. Calvillo-Cortes, and L. C. N. de Vreede, "A wideband 700W push-pull Doherty amplifier," Microwave Symposium (IMS), 2015 IEEE MTT-S International, 1-4, Phoenix, AZ, May 17–22, 2015.
3. Jung, E. Y. and H.-Y. Hwang, "A balun-BPF using a dual mode ring resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 9, 652-654, Sep. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.903442
4. Alhaddad, A. G., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, D. Zhou, I. T. E. Elfergani, C. H. See, P. S. Excell, and M. S. Bin-Melha, "Low Profile Balanced Handset Antenna with Dual-Arm Structure for WLAN Application," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, 1045-1053, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0219
5. Li, X., L. Yang, S. X. Gong, and Y. J. Yang, "Dual-band and wideband design of a printed dipole antenna integrated with dual-band balun," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 165-174, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08120504
6. Tseng, C.-H. and Y.-C. Hsiao, "A new broadband marchand balun using slot-coupled microstrip lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 3, 157-159, Mar. 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2040216
7. Zhang, Z. Y., Y. X. Guo, L. C. Ong, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Improved planar marchand balun with a patterned ground plane," Int. J. RF Microw. CAE, Vol. 15, No. 3, 307-316, May 2005. doi:10.1002/mmce.20084
9. Unghee Park, Member, KIICE, "A wilkinson-type balun using a composite right/left-handed transmission line," J. lnf. Commun. Converg. Eng., Vol. 11, No. 3, 147-152, Sep. 2013.
10. Lee, H. M. and C. M. Tsai, "Exact synthesis of broadband three-line baluns," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 140-148, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2009038
11. Sun, S., L. Zhu, L. Wei, H. Peng, and K. S. Ang, "Multisession vialess microstripline balun with backside aperture and floating patches," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 2, 253-254, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22104
12. Lim, J. S., U. H. Park, J. J. Koo, Y. C. Jeong, and D. Ahn, "A 800- to 3200-MHz wideband CPW balun using multistage Wilkinson structure," Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1141-1144, San Francisco, CA, USA, Jun. 11–16. 2006.
13. Rogers, J. and R. Bhartia, "A 6 to 20GHz planar balun using a Wilkinson divider and lange couplers," IEEE MTT-S Symp. Dig., 865-868, 1991.
14. Park, U.-H. and J.-S. Lim, "A 700- to 2500-MHz microstrip balun using a wilkinson divider and 3-dB quadrature couplers," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 4, 333-334, Nov. 20, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21162
15. Peng, W. and X. Quan, "A wideband microstrip balun structure," Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1-3, Tampa, FL, USA, Jun. 1–6, 2014.
16. Zhou, D., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, and P. S. Excell, "Design of wideband balanced foldedarms dipole antenna for mobile handsets," Electromagnetics, Vol. 29, No. 8, 641-651, 2009. doi:10.1080/02726340903287406
17. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A broadband Wilkinson balun using microstrip metamaterial lines," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, No. 1, 209-212, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.851005
18. Jin, S., Z. Rongguo, C. Chang, K. Hyoungsoo, and Z. Hualiang, "Design of a wideband balun using parallel strips," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, 125-127, 2013.
19. Wu, Y., Z. Zhuang, L. Jiao, and Y. Liu, "A compact planar wide-band balun with high isolation based on coupled-line and composite right-left-handed transmission line," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 2, 372-376, Feb. 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29567
20. Lin, C.-M., C.-C. Su, S.-H. Hung, and Y.-H. Wang, "A compact balun based on microstrip EBG cell and interdigital capacitor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 111-118, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09092904
21. Cao, W., F. Guo, and B.Wang, "Design of a broadband balun based on composite right/left handed structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1310-1312, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25189
22. Chen, G.-Y. and J.-S. Sun, "Stepped coupled-line balun design for enhanced bandwidth operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 8, 1877-1879, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22585
23. Singh, H., A. Karmakar, and K. Singh, "Broadband branch line balun using meander line on silicon substrate," IOSR Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering (IOSR-JECE), Vol. 4, No. 2, 7-11, Nov.–Dec. 2012. doi:10.9790/2834-0420711
24. Elfergani, I. T. E., A. S. H. J. Rodriguez, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "A compact dual-band balanced slot antenna for LTE applications," PIERS Proceedings, 524-527, Prague, Jul. 6–9, 2015.
25., , HFSS version 14, Ansys Inc, USA, 2013, Available at:http://www.ansys.com/. Accessed on Oct. 10, 2014.
26. Zhang, Z., Y.-C. Jiao, S.-F. Cao, X.-M. Wang, and F.-S. Zhang, "Modified broadband schiffman phase shifter using dentate microstrip and patterned ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 9-16, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL11041406
27. Razzaz, F., M. A. S. Alkanhal, and A.-F. Sheta, "UWB Wilkinson power divider using tapered transmission lines," PIERS Proceedings, 882-884, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 19–23, 2012.