A wireless cyber secure zone has been created by controlling RF propagation using directive antennas and noise generation to establish a functional boundary for a wireless network. Directive microstrip patch antennas were constructed in the 2.4-GHz ISM band, and a commercial router was used to generate a wireless network on a specified channel. The FM transmitters for noise generation were set to the same channel in the 2.4-GHz ISM band, and the directive microstrip patch antennas were arranged facing outward creating an inner cyber secure zone for the wireless network. Outside the cyber secure zone, the wireless network was undetectable.
"Development of a Cyber-Secured Zone with Directive Antennas and Noise Generation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 70, 83-90, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16102105
1. Eun-Kyu, L., M. Gerla, and S. Y. Oh, "Physical layer security in wireless smart grid," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 50, No. 8, 46-52, 2012. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2012.6257526
2. Erol-Katntarci, M. and H. T. Mouftah, "Energy efficient information and communication infrastructures in the smart grid: A survey on interactions and open issues," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 17, No. 1, 179-197, 2015. doi:10.1109/COMST.2014.2341600
3. Hussain, S., M. J. Ikram, and N. Arshad, "A low cost implementation of home area networks for home energy management systems," 2014 IEEE Fourth Int. Conf. on Big Data and Cloud Computing, 2014.
4. Kominos, N., E. Philippou, and A. Pitsillides, "Survey in smart grid and smart home security: issues, challenges, and countermeasures," Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 16, No. 4, 2014.
5. Romero-Zurita, N., D. Mclernon, and M. Ghogho, "Physical layer security by robust masked beamforming and protected zone optimisation," IET Commun., Vol. 8, No. 8, 1248-1257, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-com.2013.0377
6. Khisti, A. and G. W. Wornell, "ecure transmission with multiple antennas I: The MISOME wiretap channel," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, 3088-3104, 2010. doi:10.1109/TIT.2010.2048445
7. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2005.
8. Stutzman, W. L., Antenna Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 1998.
9. Johnson, R. C., Antenna Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1993.
10. Lim, S. and H. Ling, "Design of a closely spaced, folded Yagi antenna," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propag. Lett., 302-305, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.878892
11. Kartalopoulos, S. V., "A primer on cryptography in communications," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 44, No. 4, 146-151, 2006. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2006.1632662
12. Vajjiravelu, S. and A. Punitha, "Survey on wireless technologies and security procedures," Int. Conf. on Information Communication and Embedded Systems (ICICES), 2013.
13. Su, H., M. Qiu, and H. Wang, "Secure wireless communication system for smart grid with rechargeable electric vehicles," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 50, No. 8, 62-68, 2012. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2012.6257528
14. Rahmat-Sami, Y. and E. Michielssen, Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, Wiley, New York, 1999.
15. Azaro, R., F. G. B. De Natale, M. Donelli, A. Massa, and E. Zeni, "Optimized design of a multifunction/multiband antenna for automotive rescue systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 392-400, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863387
16. Donelli, M., I. Craddock, D. Gibbins, and M. Sarafianou, "A three-dimensional time domain microwave imaging method for breast cancer detection based on an evolutionary algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 18, 179-195, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11040903
17. http://www.ecfr.gov, "Electronic code of federal regulations,".
18. http://support.radioshack.com/support video/doc66/66337.pdf, "Room to Room Audio/Video Sender,", RadioShack.
19. Chu, T. S., "An approximate generalization of the Friis transmission formula," Proc. IEEE, 296-297, 1965. doi:10.1109/PROC.1965.3688
20. Hogg, D. C., "Fun with the Friis free-space transmission formula," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 35, No. 4, 33-35, 1993. doi:10.1109/74.229847