This work proposes a radio-frequency interference (RFI) noise suppression filter with low noise generation for a power trace. This is based on a quarter-wavelength open-stub resonator (QWOSR) in a multilayered high-speed digital PCB (printed circuit board). RFI noise with frequencies at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz is considered. The proposed filter structure is a four-layer PCB. The low noise generation includes the following schemes. The trace of the QWOSR is a stripline on the third layer. Four ground vias are added adjacent to the QWOSR via, which is short. Electromagnetic (EM) radiation noise, plan cavity resonance, ground bounce noise (GBN), and peak noise on insertion loss (|S21|) are all reduced. The electric field distributions are elucidated to understand the effect of cavity resonance on the insertion loss (|S21|) values of the proposed filter structure. The proposed filter structure significantly reduces the time-domain ground bounce and power noise whose frequency is equal or close to the center frequency of filter. Finally, favorable comparisons between simulated and measured results confirm the excellent low noise generation performance of the proposed filter structure.
"Low Noise Generation of RFI Noise Suppression Filter for Power Trace by Using Quarter-Wavelength Open-Stub Resonator in Multilayered High-Speed Digital PCB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 75, 111-129, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERB16111703
2. Wu, T.-L., H.-H. Chuang, and T.-K. Wang, "Overview of power integrity solutions on package and PCB: Decoupling and EBG isolation," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 2, 346-356, May 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2009.2039575
3. Hong, J.-S. G. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filter for RF/Microwave Applications, Chap. 6, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619
4. Leong, L.-I. A., C.-H. Tsai, and T.-L. Wu, "An ultra compact common-mode filter for RF Interference control in 3G wireless communication systems," Proc. 2010 IEEE EMC Symposium, 776-779, Aug. 1998.
5. Kim, B. and D.-W. Kim, "Improvement of simultaneous switching noise suppression of power plane using localized spiral-shaped EBG structure and lambda/4 open stubs," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf., 1-4, Dec. 2007.
6. Kasahara, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Harada, "Open stub electromagnetic bandgap structure for 2.4/5.2 GHz dual-band suppression of power plane noise," Proc. IEEE Electr. Des. Adv. Packag. Syst. Symp., 1-4, Dec. 2011.
7. Shiue, G.-H., C.-M. Hsu, C.-L. Yeh, and C.-F. Hsu, "A comprehensive investigation of a commonmode filter for gigahertz differential signals using quarter-wavelength resonators," IEEE Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 4, No. 1, 134-144, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2013.2278444
8. Hong, J.-S. G. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip Filter for RF/Microwave Applications," Ch. 6, Wiley, 2001.
9. Lim, W. G., W. K. Kim, D. H. Shin, and J. W. Yu, "A novel bandstop filter design using parallel coupled line resonators," Proc. 2007 European Microwave Conference, 878-881, Oct. 2007.
10. Ege Engin, A. and J. Bowman, "Virtual ground fence for GHz power filtering on printed circuit boards," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1277-1283, Nov. 2013. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2013.2265054
11. Hao, Z. C., J. S. Hong, J. P. Parry, and D. P. Hand, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with multiple notch bands using nonuniform periodical slotted ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3080-3088, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2034230
13. Swaminathan, M. and A. E. Engin, Power Integrity Modeling and Design for Semiconductors and Systems, Prentice-Hall, Boston, MA, USA, 2007.
14. Kushta, T., K. Narita, T. Kaneko, T. Saeki, and H. Tohya, "Resonance stub effect in a transition from a through via hole to a stripline in multilayer PCBs," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 5, 169-171, May 2003. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.811678
15. Deng, S., et al., "Effects of open stubs associated with plated through-hole vias in backpanel designs," Proc. Int. Symp. Electromagn. Compat., 1017-1022, Aug. 2004.
16. Hall, S. H. and H. L. Heck, "Advanced Signal Integrity for High-Speed Digital System Design," Ch. 10, Wiley, 2009.
18. Hwang, J. N. and T. L. Wu, "Coupling of the ground bounce noise to the signal trace with via transition in partitioned power bus of PCB," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. EMC, 733-736, Minneapolis, MN, USA, Aug. 2006.
19. Guo, W. D., G. H. Shiue, C. M. Lin, and R. B. Wu, "An integrated signal and power integrity analysis for signal traces through the parallel planes using hybrid finite-element and finite-difference time-domain techniques," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 30, No. 3, 558-565, Aug. 2013. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2007.901595
20. Wu, C. T., G. H. Shiue, S. M. Lin, and R. B. Wu, "Composite effects of reflections and ground bounce for signal line through a split power plane," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 25, 297-301, May 2002.