This paper describes a multi-pass InSAR imaging approach for surface deformation studies. Such a technique extends concept of SAR tomography (TomoSAR) based on multi-pass InSAR data, in order to produce deformation map in elevation domain and velocity domain, respectively. Compared to conventional InSAR method, multi-pass InSAR imaging technique acquires multi-baseline information and allows reconstruction of multiple scattering sources in Tomo-Doppler plane (Elevation-Velocity plane). This technique offers a solution to layover issue over conventional InSAR method, but it suffers from double-scattering problem. This paper simulates a phenomenon where double-scattering impairs the imaging process and an improved solution method to separate single and double scatters from inferring pixels. In real circumstance, there are still other interferometric issues such as phase ambiguities of noise and phase discontinuity. Thus, a phase-unwrapping method associated with an improved ordered-statistical lter is included for interferometry processing. An experiment based on real SAR data is set up to demonstrate this technique.
Sui Ping Lee,
Yee Kit Chan,
Tien Sze Lim,
"Advanced Multi-Pass InSAR
Imaging for Surface Deformation Studies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 76, 87-96, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERB17022008
1. Massonnnet, D. and K. L. Feigl, "Radar interferometry and its application to changes in earth surface," Rev. Geophsys, Vol. 36, No. 4, 441-500, Nov. 1998. doi:10.1029/97RG03139
2. Roland, B., P. A. Rosen, and E. J. Fielding, "Synthetic aperture radar interferometry to measure Earth's surface topography and its deformation," Annu. Rev. Earth Planet. Sci., Vol. 28, 169-209, May 2000.
3. Rosen, P. A., S. Hensley, I. R. Joughin, S. N. Madsen, E. Rodriguez, and R. M. Goldstein, "Synthetic aperture radar interferometry," Proceeding of IEEE, Vol. 88, No. 3, Mar. 2000. doi:10.1109/5.838084
4. Tough, R. J. A., "Interferometric detection of sea surface features," Signals and Radar Establishment, memorandum 4446, UK, 1991.
5. Wu, B. I., M. C. Yeuing, Y. Hara, and J. A. Kong, "InSAR heigh inversion by using 3-D phase projection with multiple baselines," Progress In Electromagnetics Reseach, Vol. 91, 173-193, 2009.
6. Ren, X. Z., L. H. Qiao, and Y. Qin, "A three-dimensional imaging algorithm for tomography SAR based on improved interpolated array transform," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 181-193, 2011.
7. Gini, F., F. Lombardini, and M. Montanari, "Layover solution in multibaseline SAR interferometry," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 38, No. 4, 1344-1356, Oct. 2002. doi:10.1109/TAES.2002.1145755
8. Zhang, W., "Two-dimensional microwave tomographic algorithm for radar imaging through multilayered media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 261-270, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER13090305
9. Lombardini, F., "Differential tomography: A new framework for SAR interferometry," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 43, No. 1, 37-44, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.838371
10. Reale, D., G. Fornaro, A. Pauciullo, X. Zhu, and R. Bamler, "Tomographic imaging and monitoring of buildings with very high resolution SAR data," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 8, No. 4, 661-665, Jul. 2011. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2010.2098845
11. Reale, D., D. O. Nitti, D. Peduto, R. Nutricato, F. Bovenga, and G. Fornaro, "Postseismic deformation monitoring with the COSMO/SKYMED constellation," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 8, No. 4, 696-700, Jul. 2011. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2010.2100364
12. Fornaro, G., A. Pauciullo, and F. Serafino, "Deformation monitoring over large areas with multipass differential SAR interferometry: A new approach based on the use of spatial differences," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 30, No. 6, 1455-1478, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1080/01431160802459569
13. Berardino, P., G. Fornaro, R. Lanari, and E. Sansosti, "A new algorithm for surface deformation monitoring based on small baseline differential SAR interferograms," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 40, No. 11, 2375-2383, Nov. 2002. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2002.803792
14. Fornaro, G., D. Reale, and F. Serafino, "Four-dimensional SAR imaging for height estimation and monitoring of single and double scatterers," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 47, No. 1, 224-237, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.2000837
15. Solimene, R., A. Brancaccio, R. Di Napoli, and R. Pierri, "3D sliced tomographic inverse scattering experimental results," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 1-13, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10050705
16. Lee, S. P., Y. K. Chan, T. S. Lim, and V. C. Koo, "An InSAR phase estimation method for surface derformation studies," International Conference on Space, Aeronautical and Navigational Electronics 2016, IEICE Tech. Rep., Vol. 116, No. 319, 109-114, SANE2016-73, Nov. 2016.
17. Reale, D., G. Fornaro, and A. Pauciullo, "Extension of 4-D SAR imaging to the monitoring of thermally dilating scatterers," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 51, No. 12, Dec. 2013. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2012.2233205
18. Mora, O., J. J. Mallorqui, and A. Broquetas, "Linear and nonlinear terrain deformation maps from a reduced set of interferometric SAR images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 41, No. 10, 2243, 2253, 2003. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2003.814657
19. Wei, M. and T. Sandwell, "Decorrelation of L-band and C-band interferometry over vegetated areas in California," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 7, 2942-2952, 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2010.2043442
20. Ghighlia, D. C. and M. D. Pritt, Two-Dimensional Phase Unwrapping: Theory,Algorithms, and Software, 1st Ed., Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1998.
21. Stella, A. and B. Trivedi, "Implementation of order statistic filters on digital image: A comparative study," International Journal of Modern Engineering Research, Vol. 2, No. 5, 3143-3145, 2012.
22. De Maio, A., G. Fornaro, and A. Pauciullo, "Detection of single scatterers in multidimensional SAR imaging," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 47, No. 7, 2284-2297, Jul. 2009. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.2011632
23. De Maio, A., G. Fornaro, A. Pauciullo, and D. Reale, "Detection of double scatterers in SAR tomography," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS 2009, Vol. 3, III-172, IEEE, Jul. 2009.