The power flow for electromagnetic wave absorbers consisting of pattern conductor layers acting as frequency selective surfaces, absorption layers, and short circuit layers was investigated by Poynting vectors. A method was developed to evaluate the flow of electromagnetic wave power by an electromagnetic wave absorber upon irradiation with electromagnetic waves. The results indicate that the electromagnetic wave absorption phenomenon involves generation of true power, a real part of the time averaged Poynting vector, which moves horizontally along the pattern surface after the incident wave has irradiated the pattern conductor from the vertical direction, and the direction of power flow changes to enter the polymer layer from the pattern interval, causing an accumulation of power inside the polymer layer, followed by absorption, which is converted into heat due to the loss factor.
"Analysis of Power Flow by Poynting Vectors for Electromagnetic Wave Absorbers Using Frequency Selective Surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 78, 61-74, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERB17062401
1. Naito, Y. and K. Suetake, "Application of ferrite to electromagnetic wave absorber and its characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 19, 65-72, 1971. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1971.1127446
2. Lim, K. M., K. A. Lee, M. C. Kim, and C. G. Park, "Complex permeability and electromagnetic wave absorption properties of amorphous alloy-epoxy composites," J. Non-Crystalline Solids Soc., Vol. 351, 75-83, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2004.09.025
3. Sakai, K., Y. Wada, and S. Yoshikado, "Composite electromagnetic wave absorber made of permalloy or sendust and effect of sendust particle size on absorption characteristics," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, 846-853, 2008. doi:10.2529/PIERS071220021215
4. Wada, Y., N. Asano, K. Sakai, and S. Yoshikado, "Preparation and evaluation of composite electromagnetic wave absorbers made of fine aluminum particles dispersed in polystyrene resin by controlling permeability," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, 838-845, 2008. doi:10.2529/PIERS071220014249
5. Sakai, K. and S. Yoshikado, "Effect of particle shape on absorption characteristics of composite electromagnetic wave absorber made of sendust particles dispersed in polystyrene resin," ICC3 IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng., Vol. 18, 092019, 2011. doi:10.1088/1757-899X/18/9/092019
6. Yoshida, T., Y. Agari, and S. Yoshikado, "Evaluation of absorbing characteristics and thermal contact resistance of electromagnetic wave absorbing composite rubber," IEEJ Trans. FM, Vol. 132, 180-186, 2012 (in Japanese). doi:10.1541/ieejfms.132.180
7. Amano, M. and Y. Kotsuka, "A novel microwave absorber with surface-printed conductive line patterns," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 1193-1196, 2002.
8. Yoshida, T., M. Matsushita, T. Kubota, and S. Yoshikado, "Fabrication and evaluation of electromagnetic wave absorbers using frequency selective surface," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), 1138-1144, IEEE Conference Publications, Shanghai, China, Aug. 8–11, 2016.
9. Rafael, P. and P. M. David, "A frequency-selective surface using aperture-coupled microstrip patches," IEEE Trans. Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 39, 1763-1769, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.121598
10. Nakajima, M., The Microwave Engineering, 36-37, Morikita Publishing Co., Ltd, 1975 (in Japanese).
11. Collin, R. E., Foundation for Microwave Engineering, McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1966.
12. Das, A., Lectures on Electromagnetism, 2nd Ed., World Scientific, 2013. doi:10.1142/8805
14. Zhou, Y. J., X. Y. Zhou, T. J. Cui, R. Qiang, and J. Chen, "Efficient simulations of periodic structures with oblique incidence using direct spectral FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 17, 101-111, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11012501
15. Belkhir, A. and F. I. Baida, "Three-dimensional finite-difference time-domain algorithm for oblique incidence with adaptation of perfectly matched layers and nonuniform meshing: Application to the study of a radar dome," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 77, 056701-1-056701-10, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.77.056701
16. Johar, F. M., S. N. Salleh, F. A. Azmin, B. H. Ahmad, and M. Md. Shukor, "A review of method in FDTD for the analysis of oblique incident plane wave on periodic structures," International Journal of Engineering and Technlogy (IJET), Vol. 5, 3900-3906, 2011.