A novel frequency reconfigurable antenna is proposed for WiMAX and WLAN applications. It has a simple structure and compact size of 0.44λg×0.37λg. The proposed approach is based on combining of double planar U-shaped antenna. Furthermore, to achieve a reconfigurable function, a PIN diode switch is introduced across the slot between the two U-shaped patches. By controlling the PIN diode, the antenna resonates at two modes of single and dual band (WiMAX 3.2/3.5 GHz, and WLAN 5.2/5.8 GHz). The obtained gain ranges from 2.3 to 3.9 dBi within the whole operating bands. The simple configuration and low profile nature of the proposed antenna is suitable for Wireless communication systems.
Youcef Braham Chaouche,
Ismail Ben Mabrouk,
"A Frequency Reconfigurable U-Shaped Antenna for Dual-Band WiMAX
/WLAN Systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 87, 63-71, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18071004
1. Zhang, L., T. Jiang, and Y. Li, "Dual-band printed antenna for WLAN applications," PIERS Proceedings, 1020-1023, ague, Czech Republic, July 6-9, 2015.
2. Yasir, L. A., A. O. George, S. A. Abdulkareem, J. M. Husham, A. A. Ramzy, A. A. A. Raed, and N. James, "Design of frequency reconfigurable multiband compact antenna using two PIN diodes for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 8, 1098-1105, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0814
3. Braham Chaouche, Y., F. Bouttout, I. Messaoudene, L. Pichon, M. Belazzoug, and F. Chetouah, "Design of reconfigurable fractal antenna using pin diode switch for wireless applications," 16th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS'16), November 14-16, 2016.
4. Han, L., C. Wang, et al. "Compact frequency-reconfigurable slot antenna for wireless application," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1795-1798, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2536778
5. Shi, S., W. P. Ding, and K. Luo, "A monopole antenna with dual-band reconfigurable circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 35-42, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14101101
6. Trong, N. N, L. Hall, and C. Fumeaux, "A dual-band dual pattern frequency reconfigurable antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 2710-2715, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30815
7. Yamagajo, T. and Y. Koga, "Frequency reconfigurable antenna with MEMS switches for mobile terminals," Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 1213-1216, 2011.
8. Mansoul, A., F. Ghanem, M. R. Hamid, E. Salonen, and M. Berg, "A bandwidth reconfigurable antenna with a fixed lower and a variable upper limit," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 15, 1725-1733, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0286
9. Lim, J.-H., G.-T. Back, Y.-I. Ko, C.-W. Song, and T.-Y. Yun, "A reconfigurable PIFA using a switchable PIN-diode and a fine-tuning varactor for USPCS/WCDMA/m-WiMAX/WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2404-2411, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048849
10. Chen, G., X. L. Yang, and Y. Wang, "Dual-band frequency-reconfigurable folded slot antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1386-1389, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2227293
11. Boukarkar, A., X. Lin, and Y. Jiang, "A dual-band frequency-tunable magnetic dipole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 492-495, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2454001
12. Bekali, Y. K. and M. Essaaidi, "Compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip patch antenna for 3G and 4G mobile communication technologies," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 7, July 2013.
13. Asif, S. M., A. Iftikhar, S. M. Khan, M. Usman, and B. D. Braaten, "An E-shaped microstrip patch antenna for reconfigurable dual-band operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 1485-1490, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29814
14. Ansoft Corporation, HFSS, , High frequency structure simulator version 15, Finite element package, Ansoft Corporation, Available at: http://www.ansoft.com.
15. Datasheet for Infineon BAR50-02V, Silicon PIN Diode, , Infineon Technologies AG http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1500311.pdf.