A new compact topology of rectenna, which combines a miniaturized wideband printed antenna and a rectifier integrated on the radiating surface, is reported in this paper. The rectenna is designed for ISM 900 MHz band and applied to wireless power transmission and energy harvesting to supply Ultra-Wideband tags for 3D indoor localization. The rectenna allows activating a DC-DC boost converter that supplies power to the tags. It exhibits a minimum conversion efficiency of 25% for very low microwave power densities (>0.18 μW/cm2) on the non-optimal loading impedance (of about 10 kΩ) of a commercial DC-to-DC boost converter and power management unit. The harvested DC voltage obtained from this novel rectenna exceeds 330 mV for microwave power density of 0.22 μW/cm2. This measured DC voltage is in the range of the cold turn-on/start-up voltage of nowadays commercial off-the-shelf DC-to-DC boost converters and power management units. The proposed rectenna is also very compact, as its surface (10.5x6 cm2) is of 0.05λ2 at the operating frequency (860 MHz).
"Compact Flat Dipole Rectenna for IoT
Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 87, 39-49, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18071604
1. Costanzo, A. and D. Masotti, "Smart solutions in smart spaces: Getting the most from far-field wireless power transfer," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 17, No. 5, 30-45, May 2016. doi:10.1109/MMM.2016.2525119
2., "How it works --- Indoor location system," UWINLOC --- Indoor Location System, http://uwinloc.com/how-it-works.
4. Kuhn, V., C. Lahuec, F. Seguin, and C. Person, "A multi-band stacked RF energy harvester with RF-to-DC efficiency up to 84%," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 63, No. 5, 1768-1778, May 2015. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2015.2416233
5. Assimonis, S. D., S. N. Daskalakis, and A. Bletsas, "Sensitive and efficient RF harvesting supply for batteryless backscatter sensor networks," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 64, No. 4, 1327-1338, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2533619
6. Palazzi, V., J. Hester, J. Bito, F. Alimenti, C. Kalialakis, A. Collado, P. Mezzanotte, A. Georgiadis, L. Roselli, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel ultra-lightweight multiband rectenna on paper for RF energy harvesting in the next generation LTE bands ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 66, No. 1, 366-379, Jan. 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2721399
7. Okba, A., A. Takacs, and H. Aubert, "900MHz miniaturized rectenna," IEEE MTT-S Wireless Power Transfer Conference, Montreal, Canada, Jun. 2018.
8. Ripoche, O., H. Aubert, A. Bellion, P. Potier, and P. Pouliguen, "Spiral antenna miniaturization in very high frequency band," International Symposium of Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics, 1-5, Toulouse, France, Jun. 2012.
9. Congedo, F., G. Monti, L. Tarricone, and M. Cannarile, "Broadband bowtie antenna for RF energy scavenging applications," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 335-337, Rome, Italy, Apr. 2011.
10. Kashyap, N. and K. V. Dinesh, "Miniaturized planner spiral antenna with stacked ring," 2014 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 465-468, Loughborough, UK, Nov. 2014.
12. Okba, A., A. Takacs, and H. Aubert, "Compact flat dipole rectenna for energy harvesting or wireless power transmission applications," wireless power transmission applications and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, US, Jul. 2018.
13. Okba, A., S. Chariot, P. F. Calmon, A. Takacs, and H. Aubert, "Cross dipoles rectenna for microwave applications," 2016 46th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 930-933, London, UK, Oct. 2016.
14. Popovic, Z., E. A. Falkenstein, D. Costinett, and R. Zane, "Low-power far-field wireless powering for wireless sensors," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 101, No. 6, 1397-1409, Jun. 2013. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2013.2244053
15. Masotti, D., A. Costanzo, P. Francia, M. Filippi, and A. Romani, "A load-modulated rectifier for RF micropower harvesting with start-up strategies," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 62, No. 4, 994-1004, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2014.2304703
16. Niotaki, K., S. Kim, S. Jeong, A. Collado, A. Georgiadis, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A compact dual-band rectenna using slot-loaded dual band folded dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1634-1637, Dec. 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2294200