Non-contact vibration detection using microwave radar is becoming a popular research area. However, vibration sensing using Doppler radar based measurements suffers from the problem of `Null point'. In order to mitigate this, traditional designs incorporate phase measurements using Quadrature (I/Q) radar. Such Quadrature radars are not cost effective for large scale indoor deployment scenarios. In this paper, we propose a new configuration of `Indented Radar'; a system of two singlechannel radars offset in space by a path length, which is equivalent to 90 degree phase shift. However, such a system of two independent channels is prone to different imbalances such as amplitude, phase and DC. This work closely examines the imbalance effect on the two-radar system and reports a novel approach that can be used to tackle such imbalance in a two-radar configuration. Our approach yields superior results over other commonly used I/Q algorithms, while measuring vibrational frequencies. Thus, our work can find immense application in both vital sign detection and structural vibration detection use-cases where affordable solution is sought.
"Novel Approach for Vibration Detection Using Indented Radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 87, 147-162, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18071702
1. Pieraccini, M., M. Fratini, F. Parrini, G. Macaluso, and C. Atzeni, "High-speed cw step-frequency coherent radar for dynamic monitoring of civil engineering structures," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 14, 907-908, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040549
2. Luzi, G., O. Monserrat, and M. Crosetto, "The potential of coherent radar to support the monitoring of the health state of buildings," Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 23, No. 3, 125-145, 2012. doi:10.1080/09349847.2012.660241
3. Moll, J., J. Simon, M. Malzer, V. Krozer, D. Pozdniakov, R. Salman, M. Durr, M. Feulner, A. Nuber, and H. Friedmann, "Radar imaging system for in-service wind turbine blades inspections: Initial results from a field installation at a 2 mw wind turbine," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 162, 51-60, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIER18021905
4. Kranjec, J., S. Begus, J. Drnovsek, and G. Gersak, "Novel methods for noncontact heart rate measurement: A feasibility study," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 63, No. 4, 838-847, 2014. doi:10.1109/TIM.2013.2287118
5. Raffo, A., S. Costanzo, and G. Di Massa, "Software defined doppler radar as a contactless multipurpose microwave sensor for vibrations monitoring," Sensors, Vol. 17, 115, Jan. 2017. doi:10.3390/s17010115
6. Ivanov, E. N., M. E. Tobar, and R. A. Woode, "Microwave interferometry: Application to precision measurements and noise reduction techniques," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 45, No. 6, 1526-1536, 1998. doi:10.1109/58.738292
7. Park, B.-K., S. Yamada, O. Boric-Lubecke, and V. Lubecke, "Single-channel receiver limitations in doppler radar measurements of periodic motion," 2006 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 99-102, IEEE, 2006. doi:10.1109/RWS.2006.1615104
8. Rahman, A., E. Yavari, A. Singh, V. Lubecke, and O. B. Lubecke, "Single-channel radar fusion for quadrature life-sign doppler radar," 2016 IEEE/ACES International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems (ICWITS) and Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES), 1-3, IEEE, 2016.
9. Li, C. and J. Lin, "Complex signal demodulation and random body movement cancellation techniques for non-contact vital sign detection," 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 567-570, IEEE, 2008.
10. Wang, J., X. Wang, L. Chen, J. Huangfu, C. Li, and L. Ran, "Noncontact distance and amplitude-independent vibration measurement based on an extended dacm algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 63, No. 1, 145-153, Jan. 2014. doi:10.1109/TIM.2013.2277530
11. Obeid, D., S. Sadek, G. Zaharia, and G. E. Zein, "Doppler radar for heartbeat rate and heart rate variability extraction," 2011 E-Health and Bioengineering Conference (EHB), 1-4, Nov. 2011.
12. Roy, A., N. Gale, and L. Hong, "Automated traffic surveillance using fusion of doppler radar and video information," Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Vol. 54, No. 1, 531-543, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.mcm.2011.02.043
13. Alessandretti, G., A. Broggi, and P. Cerri, "Vehicle and guard rail detection using radar and vision data fusion," IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 8, No. 1, 95-105, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/TITS.2006.888597
14. Jeng, S. L., W. H. Chieng, and H. P. Lu, "Estimating speed using a side-looking single-radar vehicle detector," IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 15, No. 2, 607-614, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1109/TITS.2013.2283528
15. Gurbuz, S. Z., W. L. Melvin, and D. B. Williams, "Detection and identification of human targets in radar data," Signal Processing, Sensor Fusion, and Target Recognition XVI, Vol. 6567, 65670I, International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2007.
16. Anderson, M. G. and R. L. Rogers, "Micro-doppler analysis of multiple frequency continuous wave radar signatures," Radar Sensor Technology XI, Vol. 6547, 65470A, International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2007.
17. Fishler, E., A. Haimovich, R. S. Blum, L. J. Cimini, D. Chizhik, and R. A. Valenzuela, "Spatial diversity in radars --- models and detection performance," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, No. 3, 823-838, 2006. doi:10.1109/TSP.2005.862813
18. Gu, C., "Short-range noncontact sensors for healthcare and other emerging applications: A review," Sensors, Vol. 16, No. 8, 1169, 2016. doi:10.3390/s16081169
19. Droitcour, A. D., O. Boric-Lubecke, V. M. Lubecke, J. Lin, and G. TA Kovacs, "Range correlation and i/q performance benefits in single-chip silicon doppler radars for noncontact cardiopulmonary monitoring," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, 838-848, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.823552
20. Skolnik, M. I., "Introduction to radar," Radar Handbook, 2, 1962.
21. Li, C., V. M. Lubecke, O. Boric-Lubecke, and J. Lin, "A review on recent advances in doppler radar sensors for noncontact healthcare monitoring," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 5, 2046-2060, May 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2256924
22. Singh, A., X. Gao, E. Yavari, M. Zakrzewski, X. H. Cao, V. M. Lubecke, and O. Boric-Lubecke, "Data-based quadrature imbalance compensation for a cw doppler radar system," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1718-1724, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2249525
23. Zakrzewski, M., A. Singh, E. Yavari, X. Gao, O. Boric-Lubecke, J. Vanhala, and K. Palovuori, "Quadrature imbalance compensation with ellipse-fitting methods for microwave radar physiological sensing," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 6, 1400-1408, 2014. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2014.2321738
24. Nosrati, M. and N. Tavassolian, "High-accuracy heart rate variability monitoring using doppler radar based on gaussian pulse train modeling and ftpr algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 1, 556-567, Jan. 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2721407
25. Liu, Z., L. Liu, and B. Barrowes, "The application of the Hilbert-Huang transform in through-wall life detection with uwb impulse radar," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 7, 695-699, 2010. doi:10.2529/PIERS100217122115
26. Wu, X., V. Kumar, J. R. Quinlan, J. Ghosh, Q. Yang, H. Motoda, G. J. McLachlan, A. Ng, B. Liu, S. Yu Philip, et al. "Top 10 algorithms in data mining," Knowledge and Information Systems, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1-37, 2008. doi:10.1007/s10115-007-0114-2
27. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Analysis of vital signs monitoring using an IR-UWB radar ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 265-284, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09120302