In this paper, a compact wideband circularly polarized (CP) crossed-dipole antenna with wide half-power beamwidth (HPBW) and broad 3 dB axial ratio beamwidth (ARBW) is proposed. The antenna is composed of crossed bowtie dipoles, four pentagonal parasitic elements and eight vertical metallic plates. A double vacant-quarter printed ring with orthogonal bowtie dipoles is designed for CP radiation and broadband characteristics of impedance and 3 dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidths. Parasitic elements and vertical metallic plates are utilized to increase bandwidth and broaden beamwidth further. The total size of the proposed antenna is 0.4λ×0.4λ×0.16λ. Simulated results are in good agreement with the measured ones which demonstrate an impedance bandwidth 88.4% and a 3 dB AR bandwidth 73.1%. The HPBW of more than 120° is 70.0%. The 3 dB ARBWs of more than 120° in E-plane and H-plane are 63.1% and 37.5%, respectively. With both the excellent CP performance and compact size, the proposed antenna is attractive for modern wireless communications.
"A Compact Wideband Circularly Polarized Crossed-Dipole Antenna with Broad Beamwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 78, 141-147, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18073004
1. Sharma, C. and K. C. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 5, 949-955, Nov. 1983.
2. Baik, J. W., T. H. Lee, S. Pyo, S. M. Han, J. Jeong, and Y. S. Kim, "Broadband circularly polarized crossed dipole with parasitic loop resonators and its arrays," IEEE Trans. Antanna Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 80-88, Jan. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090463
3. He, Y., W. He, and H. Wong, "A wideband circularly polarized cross-dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., 67-70, Jan. 2014.
4. Tran, H. H. and I. Park, "Wideband circularly polarized cavity-backed asymmetric crossed bowtie dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 358-361, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2445939
5. Xu, R., J. Y. Li, and W. Kun, "A broadband circularly polarized crossed-dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 10, 4509-4513, Oct. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2588523