In this paper, a novel low-cost, high gain dual-polarized antenna design with a suspended cylinder and a ground connected cylinder geometry is proposed. The design structure of the antenna is simple and fabricated with two cylinders, two shorting strips, and a circular ground plane. All these components are easily fabricated from a copper sheet of thickness 0.4 mm, and the antenna is fed by two coaxial probes at the orthogonal planes on the circumference of the cylinders. A prototype is designed, fabricated and measured. The measured results show that the prototype has -10 dB impedance bandwidth of 34.37% at port 1 & 34.21% at port 2. Broadside gain from port 1 is 10.2-10.4 dBi & port 2 is 10.25-10.52 dBi, which indicates that the antenna has flat gain over the impedance bandwidth, and isolation between the ports is more than 15 dB from 2.65-3.6 GHz and more than 20 dB from 2.75-3.55 GHz. The isolation of the proposed antenna is improved by shorting the suspended cylinder to the ground plane by two shorting strips. The resonance frequency and isolation peak are simultaneously tunable with varying the width of the shorting strips. The parameters of the antenna are optimized by using HFSS, and good agreement between the simulated and measured results is obtained. The proposed dual polarized antenna can be used for base station applications such as LTE (Long Term Evolution) and WiMAX (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access).
Subash Chandra Yadav,
Siddhartha P. Duttagupta,
"Design of a Novel Low-Cost High-Gain Dual-Polarized Antenna by Suspended Cylinder and Shorting Strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 88, 89-101, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18090801
1. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., 1-3, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2011.
2. Sun, K., D. Yang, Y. Chen, and S. Liu, "A broadband commonly fed dual-polarized antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 17, No. 5, May 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2830619
3. Cheng, Y., Y. Li, and W. Lu, "A novel compact dual-polarized antenna," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2016, Article ID 6304356, 5 pages, 2016.
4. Lian, R., Z. Wang, Y. Yin, J. Wu, and X. Song, "Design of a low-profile dual-polarized stepped slot antenna array for base station," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 2016.
5. Luo, Y. and Q. X. Chu, "Oriental crown-shaped differentially fed dual polarized multipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 11, 4678-4685, November 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2478909
6. Yu, J., Y. Sun, H. Zhu, F. Li, and Y. Fang, "Stacked-patch dual-band & dual-polarized antenna with broadband baluns forWiMAX &WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 68, 41-52, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18022501
7. Secmen, M. and A. Hizal, "A dual-polarized wideband patch antenna for indoor mobile communications applications," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 189-200, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09112607
8. Cui, G.-F., S.-G. Zhou, S.-X. Gong, and Y. Liu, "A compact dual-polarized antenna for base station application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 7-13, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16010804
9. Deng, C., Y. Li, Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "A wideband high-isolated dual-polarized patch antenna using two different balun feedings," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagations Letters, Vol. 13, 2014.
10. Yu, J., Y. Sun, H. Zhu, F. Li, and Y. Fang, "Stacked-patch dual-band & dual-polarized antenna with broadband baluns forWiMAX &WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 68, 41-52, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18022501
11. Huang, H., Y. Liu, and S. Gong, "Broadband dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for 2G/3G/LTE/WiFi applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagations Letters, Vol. 15, 2016.
12. Wen, L.-H., S. Gao, C.-X. Mao, Q. Luo, W. Hu, Y. Yin, and X. Yang, "Wideband dual-polarized antenna using shorted dipoles," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 2018.
13. Qin, P.-Y., L.-Y. Ji, S.-L. Chen, and Y. J. Guo, "Dual-polarized wideband Fabry-Perot antenna with quad-layer partially reflective surface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, April 2018.
14. Sun, K., D. Yang, Y. Chen, and S. Liu, "A broadband commonly fed dual-polarized antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 5, May 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2813428
15. Li, Q., S. W. Cheung, and C. Zhou, "A low-profile dual-polarized patch antenna with stable radiation pattern using ground-slot groups and metallic ground wall," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 10, October 2017.
16. Yadav, S. C. and S. P. Duttagupta, "Novel broadband high gain antenna design by the suspended cylinder and shorting pin," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 86, 247-256, September 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18072206