In this article, a parasitic element structure is proposed to reduce the mutual coupling in a miniaturized microstrip dual-band Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) antenna, which resonates at (7.8 GHz) for X-band and at (14.2 GHz) for Ku band applications. The design of the primary antenna consists of two identical radiators placed on a 24×20 mm2 Fr-4 substrate, which are excited by orthogonal microstrip feed lines. In addition, a single complementary split ring resonator (S-CSRR) is used to improve the performance of proposed antenna. Simulation and measurement were used to study the antenna performance, including reflection coefficients, coupling between the two input ports, radiation efficiency and the radiation pattern. The measured results show that the proposed antenna achieves two operating bands with impedance bandwidths (|S11| ≤ -10 dB) of 560 MHz (7.6 to 8.16 GHz) and 600 MHz (13.8 to 14.4 GHz) and mutual coupling (|S12| < -26 dB), which are suitable for X/Ku band applications.
Mohssine El Ouahabi,
Hanae El ftouh,
"A Miniaturized Dual-Band MIMO Antenna with Low Mutual Coupling for Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 93, 93-101, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19032601
1. Shin, H. and J. H. Lee, "Capacity of multiple-antenna fading channels: Spatial fading correlation, double scattering, and keyhole," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 49, No. 10, 2636-2647, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TIT.2003.817439
2. Anitha, R., V. P. Sarin, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Enhanced isolation with defected ground structure in MIMO antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 24, 1784-1786, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.2795
3. Kamal, S. and A. A. Chaudhari, "Printed meander line MIMO antenna integrated with air gap, DGS and RIS: A low mutual coupling design for LTE applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 149-159, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC16112008
4. Habashil, A., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "A rectangular defected ground structure (DGS) for reduction of mutual coupling between closely-spaced microstrip antennas," 20th Iranian Conferance on Electrical Engineering, (ICEE 2012), May 15-17, 2012.
5. Yang, D. G., D. O. Kim, and C.-Y. Kim, "Design of dual-band MIMO monopole antenna with high isolation using slotted CSSRR for WLAN," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 2252-2257, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28574
6. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. Bouazizi, and A. Basir, "Metamaterial-based highly isolated MIMO antenna for portable wireless applications," Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 10, 267, Oct. 22, 2018. doi:10.3390/electronics7100267
7. Arora, C., S. S. Pattnaik, and R. N. Baral, "SRR superstrate for gain and bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 76, 73-85, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERB17041405
8. Nigam, H. and M. Kumar, "A compact MIMO antenna design for 2.4 GHz ISM band frequency applications," International Journal of Electronics and Computer Science Engineering, 324-331, 2014.
9. Kayabasi, A., A. Toktas, E. Yigit, and K. Sabanci, "Triangular quad-port multi-polarized UWB MIMO antenna with enhanced isolation using neutralization ring," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 2017.
10. Zhang, S. and G. F. Pedersen, "Mutual coupling reduction for UWB MIMO antennas with a wideband neutralization line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 166-169, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2435992
11. Xu, K. A. I. D. A. and J. Zhu, "Wideband patch antenna using multiple parasitic patches and its array application with mutual coupling reduction," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 42497-42506, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2860594
12. Jaglan, N., S. D. Gupta, B. K. Kanaujia, S. Srivastava, and E. Thakur, "Triple band notched DG-CEBG structure based UWB MIMO/diversity antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 21-37, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17090702
13. Kumar, N. and U. Kiran Kommuri, "MIMO antenna mutual coupling reduction for WLAN using spiro meander line UC-EBG," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 65-77, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17101601
14. Dabas, T., D. Gangwar, B. K. Kanaujia, and A. K. Gautam, "Mutual coupling reduction between elements of UWB MIMO antenna using small size uniplanar EBG exhibiting multiple stop bands," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 2018.
15. Kokkinos, T., E. Liakou, and A. P. Feresidis, "Decoupling antenna elements of PIFA arrays on handheld device," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 25, 1442-1444, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20083032
16. Azarm, B., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, M. Majidzadeh, and N. Hatami, "On development of a MIMO antenna for coupling reduction and WiMAX suppression purposes," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 99, 226-235, 2018.
17. Pandit, S., A. Mohan, and P. Ray, "A compact planar MIMO monopole antenna with reduced mutual coupling for WLAN applications using ELC resonator," Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2016.
18. Zhang, J., J. Ou Yang, K. Z. Zhang, and F. Yang, "A novel dual-band MIMO antenna with lower correlation coefficient," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, 7 pages, Article ID 512975, 2012.
19. Pierce, J. N. and S. Stein, "Multiple diversity with non-independent fading," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 48, 89-104, Jan. 1960. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1960.287384
20. Schwartz, M., W. R. Bennett, and S. Stein, Communication System and Techniques, 470-474, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1965.
21. Satam, V. and S. Nema, "Defected ground structure planar dual element MIMO antenna for wireless and short range RADAR application," 2015 IEEE Int. Conf. Signal Process. Informatics, Commun. Energy Syst., SPICES 2015, Feb. 2015.
22. Nirdosh, C. M. Tan, and M. R. Tripathy, "A miniaturized T-shaped MIMO antenna for X-band and Ku-band applications with enhanced radiation efficiency," 27th Wirel. Opt. Commun. Conf. WOCC, 2018, Vol. 1, 1-5, 2018.
23. Pouyanfar, N., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, K. Pedram, and M. Majidzadeh, "A compact multi-band MIMO antenna with high isolation for C and X bands using defected ground structure," Radioengineering, Vol. 27, No. 3, 686-693, 2018. doi:10.13164/re.2018.0686