A compact ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with triple band-notch characteristics is proposed. The proposed antenna employs fractal and two via edge located (TVEL) electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structures near the feed line to cause triple frequency band notch characteristics over WiMAX (3.3 to 4.0 GHz), WLAN (5.1 to 5.8 GHz) and satellite downlink communication (7.2 to 7.8 GHz) frequency bands. The proposed antenna is designed and fabricated on a 24 × 24 × 1.6 mm3 FR4 substrate. Itoffers impedance bandwidth (VSWR <2) from 2.9 to 11.2 GHz except over the notched bands. The antenna has nearly omnidirectional radiation patterns and steady gain over the desired UWB. The measured results agree with the simulated ones.
1. First Report and order, Revision of part 15 of the commission’s rule regarding ultra-wideband transmission system FCC 02-48, Federal Communication Commission, 2001.
2. Ibrahim, A. A., M. A. Abdalla, and A. Boutejdar, "Printed compact band-notched antenna using octagonal radiating patch and meander slot technique for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 54, 153-162, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM16122805
3. Srivastava, K., A. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, A. K. Verma, K. P. Esselle, and R. Mittra, "Integrated GSM-UWB Fibonacci-type antennas with single, dual, and triple notched bands," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 6, 1004-1012, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0074
4. Singh, A. P., R. Khanna, and H. Singh, "UWB antenna with dual notched band for WiMAX and WLAN application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 4, 792-797, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30388
5. Hammache, B., A. Messai, I. Messaoudene, and T. A. Denidni, "A compact ultra-wideband antenna with three C-shaped slots for notched band characteristics," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, 275-279, 2018.
6. Yadav, A., M. D. Sharma, and R. P. Yadav, "A CPW-fed CSRR and inverted U slot loaded triple band notched UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 89, 221-231, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC18102104
7. Rehman, S. U. and M. A. S. Alkanhal, "Design and system characterization of ultra-wideband antennas with multiple band-rejection," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 17988-17996, 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2715881
8. Shaik, L. A., C. Saha, J. Y. Siddiqui, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Ultra-wideband monopole antenna for multiband and wideband frequency notch and narrowband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 11, 1204-1211, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0063
9. Mansouri, Z., A. S. Arezomand, S. Heydari, and F. B. Zarrabi, "Dual notch UWB fork monopole antenna with CRLH metamaterial load," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 65, 111-119, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16040711
10. Vendik, I. B., A. Rusakov, K. Kanjanasit, J. Hong, and D. Filonov, "Ultra-Wideband (UWB) planar antenna with single, dual and triple-band notched characteristic based on electric ring resonator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1597-1600, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2652978
11. Liu, B.-W., Y.-Z. Yin, Y. Yang, S.-H. Jing, and A.-F. Sun, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with two notched bands based on electromagnetic bandgap structures," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 13, 757-758, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.1281
12. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "Design of a band-notched UWB monopole antenna by means of an EBG structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 170-173, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2116150
13. Peng, L. and C.-L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2114090
14. Xu, F., Z. X. Wang, X. Chen, and X.-A. Wang, "Dual band-notched UWB antenna based on spiral electromagnetic-bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 393-409, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB12021607
15. Jaglan, N., B. K. Kanaujia, S. D. Gupta, and S. Srivastava, "Design and development of an efficient EBG structures based band notched UWB circular monopole antenna," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 96, No. 4, 5757-5783, 2017. doi:10.1007/s11277-017-4446-2
16. Jaglan, N., S. D. Gupta, B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Srivastava, "Band notched UWB circular monopole antenna with inductance enhanced modified mushroom EBG structures," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 24, No. 2, 383-393, 2018.
17. Bhavarthe, P., S. Rathod, and K. T. V. Reddy, "A compact dual band electromagnetic band gap structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 1, 596-600, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2874702
18. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with Electromagnetic Band-Gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983