A meandered line multi-resonator design is proposed for a chipless Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tag. The tag is equipped with a set of identical resonant elements and two orthogonally polarized monopole ultrawide band (M-UWB) antennas. The proposed multi-resonator design is realized on an FR-4 substrate (εr = 4.4; tanδ = 0.01) in a surface area of 13 x 17 mm2, occupying a coding density of 4.52 bits/cm2 by encoding 10 bits of data. The bit is encoded using absence/presence coding and frequency shift coding technique. The data can be read and transmitted from the multi-resonator structure through the orthogonally polarized M-UWB antennas operating in the frequency range of 2 GHz to 4.5 GHz. The span of the meandered line multi-resonator design is 13 mm x 17 mm. The tag is designed using ADS software and tested using vector network analyzer (VNA).
Sundaresan Subha Rani,
"Spectral Signature Based Chipless RFID Tag Loaded by Meandered Line Multi-Resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 100, 121-131, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC19122302
1. Nijas, C. M., R. Dinesh, U. Deepak, A. Rasheed, S. Mridula, K. Vasudevan, and P. Mohanan, "Chipless RFID tag using multiple microstrip open stub resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4429-4432, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207081
2. Jalil, M. E., et al., "Chipless RFID tag based on meandered line resonator," 2014 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics (APACE), December 8–10, 2014.
3. Sumi, M., R. Dinesh, C. M. Nijas, P. Mohanan, and S. Mridula, "Frequency signature based chipless RFID tag using shorted stub resonators," 2015 IEEE 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 296-299, IEEE, 2015. doi:10.1109/APCAP.2015.7374379
4. Yang, S., "A compact dual-band bandstop filter having one spurline and two embedded open stubs," Journal of Electrical Systems and Information Technology, Vol. 3, No. 2, 314-319, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.jesit.2015.12.004
5. Javed, N., A. Habib, Y. Amin, and H. Tenhunen, "Miniaturized flexible chipless RFID tag for IoT market," International Conference on Communication, Computing and Digital Systems (C-CODE), 71-74, IEEE, 2017. doi:10.1109/C-CODE.2017.7918904
6. Martinez, M. and D. van der Weide, "Compact slot-based chipless RFID tag," 2014 IEEE RFID Technology and Applications Conference (RFID-TA), 233-236, IEEE, 2014. doi:10.1109/RFID-TA.2014.6934234
7. Hossain, A. K. M. Z., M. I. Ibrahimy, and S. M. A. Motakabber, "Spiral resonator for ultra wide band chipless RFID tag," 2014 International Conference on Computer and Communication Engineering (ICCCE), IEEE, 2014.
8. Tu, W.-H. and K. Chang, "Compact microstrip bandstop filter using open stub and spurline," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 4, 268-270, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.845739
9. Martinez-Iranzo, U., B. Moradi, and J. Garcia-Garcia, "Open ring resonator structure for compact chipless RFID tags," 2015 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1-3, IEEE, 2015.
10. Girbau, D., J. Lorenzo, A. Lazaro, C. Ferrater, and R. Villarino, "Frequency-coded chipless RFID tag based on dual-band resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 126-128, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2185032
11. Mohanan, D. R. P., "Spectral signature based chipless RFID tag using coupled bunch resonators," European Journal of Advances in Engineering and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 11, 20-25, 2015.
12. Sumi, M., R. Dinesh, C. M. Nijas, S. Mridula, and P. Mohanan, "Frequency coded chipless RFID tag using spurline resonators," Radio Eng., Vol. 24, No. 4, 203-208, 2014.
13. Sumi, M., R. Dinesh, C. M. Nijas, S. Mridula, and P. Mohanan, "High bit encoding chipless RFID tag using multiple E shaped microstrip resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 61, 185-196, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14081301
14. Angkawisittpan, N., "Miniaturization of bandstop filter using double spurlines and double stubs," Przegl¸ad Elektrotechniczny, Vol. 88, No. 11a, 178-181, 2012.
15. Shrestha, B. and S. Shrestha, "Miniaturized multi-spurline bandstop filter design with a meandered slot lines," Journal of the Institute of Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 11, 172-176, 2016. doi:10.3126/jie.v11i1.14712
16. Dinesh, R., P. V. Anila, C. M. Nijas, M. Sumi, and P. Mohanan, "Open loop multi-resonator based chipless RFID tag," 2014 XXXIth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS), 1-4, IEEE, 2014.
17. Preradovic, S. and N. C. Karmakar, Multiresonator-based Chipless RFID Barcode of the Future, ISBN 978-1-4614-2094-1, e-ISBN 978-1-4614-2095-8, DOI 10.1007/978-1-4614-2095-8, c Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, 2012.
18. Rance, O., E. Perret, R. Siragusa, and P. Lemaıtre-Auger, RCS Synthesis for Chipless RFID Theory and Design, c ISTE Press Ltd, 2017, ISBN 978-1-78548-144-4.