In this paper, we discuss the spectral property of radiation of an electron moving in a bi-period harmonic undulator field with a phase between the primary undulator field and the harmonic field component. We derive the expression for the photons per second per mrad2 per 0.1% BW of the radiation. A small signal gain analysis is also discussed highlighting this feature of the radiation. A bi-period index parameter, i.e., Λ is introduced in the calculation. According to the value of the index parameter, the scheme can operate as one period or bi-period undulator. It is shown that when Λ = π, the device operates at the fundamental and the third harmonic. However, when Λ = π/2, it is possible to eliminate the third harmonic.
Saif Md Khan,
"Small Signal BI-Period Harmonic Undulator Free Electron Laser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 105, 217-227, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20052201
1. Seddon, E. A., J. A. Clarke, D. J. Dunning, C. Masciorecchio, C. J. Miline, F. Parmigiani, R. Dugg, J. C. H. Spence, N. R. Thompson, K. Udea, S. M Vinko, J. S. Wark, and W. Wurth, "Short wavelength free electron laser sources and science: A review," Reports on Progress in Physics, Vol. 80, No. 11, 115901, 2017. doi:10.1088/1361-6633/aa7cca
2. Huang, C. S., J. C. Jan, C. S. Chang, S. D. Chen, C. H. Chang, and T. M. Ven, "Development trends for insertion devices for future light sources," Phy. Rev. Spl. Topics — Accl. & Beams, Vol. 14, 044801, 2017.
3. Pellegrini, C., "X-ray free electron lasers: From dreams to reality," Physica Scripta, Vol. T169, 014004, 2017.
4. Rossbach, J., J. R. Schneider, and W. Wurth, "10 years of Pioneering x-ray science at the free electron laser FLASH at DESY," Physics Reports, Vol. 808, 1-74, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.physrep.2019.02.002
5. Dattoli, G., E. Di Palma, S. Pagnutti, and E. Sabia, "Free electron coherent sources: From microwave to X rays," Physics Reports, Vol. 739, 1-52, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.physrep.2018.02.005
6. Tanaka, T., "Current status and future prospective of accelerator based x-ray light source," Journal of Optics, Vol. 19, No. 9, 2017. doi:10.1088/2040-8986/aa7bf7
7. Gaith, A., D. Oumbarek, and M. E. Couprie, "Tunable high spatio spectral purity undulator radiation from a transported laser plasma accelerated electron beam," Scientific Reports, Vol. 9, 19020, 2019. doi:10.1038/s41598-019-55209-4
8. Couprie, M. E., "Undulator technologies for future free electron laser facilities and storage rings," Proceedings of IPAC, 29-30, MOZB102, Shanghai, China, 2013.
9. Yamamoto, S., "Development of very short period undulators," 9th International Particle Accelerator Conference, IPAC 2018, 1845-1847, Jacow Publishing, Vancouver, B.C, Canada, 2018.
10. Ji, F., R. Chang, Q. Zhou, W. Zhang, M. Ye, S. Sasaki, and S. Qiao, "Design and performance of the APPLE knot undulator," Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, Vol. 22, Part 4, 901, 2015.
11. Kitamura, H., "Recent trends of insertion device technology for X-ray sources," Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, Vol. 7, Part 3, 121, June 2000.
12. Huang, J. C., H. Kitamura, C. K. Yang, and C. H. Chang, "Challenges of in vacuum and cryogenic permanent magnet undulator technologies," Phys. Rev. Accl. Beams. — Accl. & Beams, Vol. 20, 064801, 2017. doi:10.1103/PhysRevAccelBeams.20.064801
14. Jaroszynski, D. A., R. Prazers, F. Glotin, and J. M. Ortega, "Two colour operation of the free electron laser using a step tapered undulator," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, A, Vol. 358, No. 1–3, 224-227, 1995. doi:10.1016/0168-9002(94)01595-3
15. Blau, J., V. Bouras, W. B. Colson, K. Polykandriotis, A. Kalfoutzos, S. V. Bcnson, and G. R. Neil, "Simulation of the 100KW TJNAF FEL using step tapered undulator," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Vol. 483, 138-141, 2002. doi:10.1016/S0168-9002(02)00299-1
17. Mahadizadeh, N., "Efficiency enhancement in a two stream free electron laser with a helical wiggler," Optik, Vol. 182, 1170, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2019.01.112
18. Kulish, V. V., A. Lysenko, and V. I. Savchenko, "Two stream free electron laser: General properties," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 24, No. 2, 129, 2003. doi:10.1023/A:1021838618554
19. Marinelli, A., D. Ratner, A. Lutman, J. Turner, J. welch, F. J. Decker, H. Loos, C. Behrens, S. Gilevich, A. A. Miahnahri, S. Vetter, T. J. Maxwell, Y. Ding, R. Coffe, S. Wakatsuki, and Z. Huang, "High intensity double pulse x ray free electron laser," Nature Communications, Vol. 6, 6369, 2015. doi:10.1038/ncomms7369
21. Saviz, S., Z. Rezaei, and F. M. Aghamir, "Gain enhancement in two-stream free electron laser with a planar wiggler and an axial guide magnetic field," Chin. Phys. B, Vol. 21, No. 9, 094103, 2012. doi:10.1088/1674-1056/21/9/094103
22. Davidyuk, I. V., O. A. Shevchenko, V. G. Tcheskidov, N. A. Vinokurov, and Ya. V. Getnamov, "Developing an undulator with a variable period for the first stage of Novosibirsk free electron laser," Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Science: Physics, Vol. 83, No. 2, 155-158, 2019. doi:10.3103/S1062873819020114
24. Vinokurov, N. A., O. A. Shevchenko, and V. G. Tcheskidov, "Variable period permanent magnet undulators," Phys. Rev. Spl. Topics — Accl. & Beams, Vol. 14, 040701, 2011. doi:10.1103/PhysRevSTAB.14.040701
25. Meseck, A., J. Bahrdt, W. Frentrup, M. Huck, C. Kuhn, R. Rethfeldt, M. Scheer, and E. Rial, "Tripple period undulator," 10th International Particle Accelerator Conference, IPAC 2019, TUPRB022, Australia, 2019.
26. Su, C. H., Designing and multi staggered array undulator, "Designing and multi staggered array undulator," IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 14, No. 2, 576-579, 2004. doi:10.1109/TASC.2004.829978
27. Shenoy, G. K., J. W. Lewellen, D. Suha, and N. A. Vinukurov, "Variable period undulators as synchrotron radiation sources," J. Synchrotron Radiation Sources, Vol. 10, 205, 2003. doi:10.1107/S0909049502023257
28. Mun, J., Y. U. Jeong, N. A. Vinokurov, K. Lee, K. H. Jang, S. H. Park, M. Y. Jeon, and S. I. Shin, "Variable period permanent magnet helical undulator," Phys. Rev. Spl. Topics — Accl. & Beams, Vol. 17, 080701, 2014. doi:10.1103/PhysRevSTAB.17.080701
29. Ramm, T. and M. Tischer, "Development of a revolver type undulator," Proceedings of the 10th Mechanical Engineering Design of Synchrotron Radiation Equipment and Instrumentation, TUPH3, Paris, France, 2018.
30. Tanaka, T. and H. Kitamura, "Composite period undulator to improve the wavelength tunability of free electron lasers," Phys. Rev. Spl. Topics — Accl. & Beams, Vol. 15, 050701, 2011. doi:10.1103/PhysRevSTAB.14.050701
31. Jia, Q., "Effects of undulator harmonics field on free electron laser harmonic generation," Phy. Rev. Spl. Topics — Accl. & Beams, Vol. 14, 060702, 2011. doi:10.1103/PhysRevSTAB.14.060702
32. Zhuovsky, K. V. and A. M. Kalitenko, "Harmonics generation on Planar undulators in single pass free electron lasers," Russian Physics Journal, Vol. 62, No. 2, 354-362, 2019. doi:10.1007/s11182-019-01719-7
33. Zhukovsky, K. V., I. A. Potapov, and A. M. Kaliterko, "Two-frequency undulators for generation of x-ray radiation in free electron lasers," Quantum Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 3, 216-231, 2018.
34. Zhukovsky, K., "Two frequency undulator in a short SASE FEL for angstrom wavelengths," Journal of Optics, Vol. 20, No. 9, 2018. doi:10.1088/2040-8986/aad6af
35. Dattoli, G. V., V. Mikhalin, P. L. Ottaviani, and K. V. Zhukovsky, "Two frequency undulator and harmonic generation by an ultra relativistic electron," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 100, No. 8, 084507-084507-12, 2006. doi:10.1063/1.2357841
36. Zhukovsky, K. and I. Potapov, "Two frequency undulator usage in compact self amplified spontaneous emission free electron laser in Ranentgen range," Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 35, No. 2, 325-336, 2017. doi:10.1017/S0263034617000180
37. Jeevakhan, H. and G. Mishra, "Spectral properties of two frequency harmonic undulator radiation and effect of energy spread," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Vol. 656, No. 1, 101, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.nima.2011.07.011
38. Mishra, G., M. Gehlot, and H. Jeevakhan, "Spectral properties of bi harmonic undulator radiation," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Vol. 603, No. 3, 495, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.nima.2009.02.009