This paper describes the design and development of a highly directive planar end-fire array using arc dipoles as the array elements. The inter element spacing, shape and size of the array elements are optimized for maximum directivity and gain. The array is printed on a substrate whose dimensions are also optimized for better performance. The overall length of the proposed six element array is 1.9λ, giving directivity and gain values as 12.0 dBi and 10.2 dBi respectively at 5.8 GHz.
1. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley and Sons Inc., 1997.
2. Hansen, R. C. and R. E. Collin, Chapter 6: Superdirective Antennas, Small Antenna Handbook, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2011. doi:10.1002/9781118106860
3. Siachalou, E., E. Vafiadis, S. S. Goudos, T. Samaras, C. S. Koukourlis, and S. Panas, "On the design of switched-beam wideband base stations," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 46, No. 1, 158-167, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/MAP.2004.1296180
4. Harrington, R. F., "Effect of antenna size on gain, bandwidth and efficiency," Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards — D. Radio Propagation, Vol. 64D, No. 1, 1-1, Jan.–Feb. 1960. doi:10.6028/jres.064D.003
5. Uzkov, A. I., "An approach to the problem of optimum directive antenna design," C.R. Dold, Acad. Sci. USSR, Vol. 53, No. 1, 35-38, 1946.
7. Dolph, C. L., "A current distribution for broadside arrays which optimises the relationship between beamwidth and side-lobe level," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 34, No. 6, 335-348, Jun. 1946. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1946.225956
8. Altshuler, E. E., T. H. O'Donnell, A. D. Yaghjian, and S. R. Best, "A monopole superdirective array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2653-2661, Aug. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.851810
9. Pirhadi, A. and M. Hakkak, "An analytical investigation of the radiation characteristics of infinitesimal dipole antenna embedded in partially reflective surfaces to obtain high directivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 137-155, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06081501
10. Pajewski, L., L. Rinaldi, and G. Schettini, "Enhancement of directivity using 2D electromagnetic crystals near the band-gap edge: A full-wave approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 179-196, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07111504
11. Abbaspour-Tamijani, A., L. Zhang, and H. K. Pan, "Enhancing the directivity of phased array antennas using lens-arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 29, 41-64, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM12062702
12. Radkovskaya, A., S. Kiriushechkina, A. Vakulenko, P. Petrov, L. Solymar, L. Li, A. Vallecchi, C. J. Stevens, and E. Shamonina, "Superdirectivity from arrays of strongly coupled meta-atoms," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 124, No. 10, 104901, 2018. doi:10.1063/1.5033937
13. Haskou, A., A. Sharaiha, and S. Collardey, "Design of small parasitic loaded superdirective end-fire antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 12, 5456-5464, Dec. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2496112
14. Hammoud, M., A. Haskou, A. Sharaiha, and S. Collardey, "Small end-fire superdirective folded meandered monopole antenna array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 9, 2122-2124, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29995
15. Clemente, A., C. Jouanlanne, and C. Delaveaud, "Analysis and design of a four-element superdirective compact dipole antenna array," 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2700-2704, Paris, 2017. doi:10.23919/EuCAP.2017.7928259
16. Clemente, A., M. Pigeon, L. Rudant, and C. Delaveaud, "Design of a super directive four-element compact antenna array using spherical wave expansion," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 4715-4722, Nov. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2475617
17. Dinesh, S., D. D. Krishna, J. M. Laheurte, and C. K. Aanandan, "A super-directive two-element parasitic dipole antenna," 2019 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 554-556, Singapore, 2019.
18. Yao, G.-W., Z.-H. Xue, W.-M. Li, W. Ren, and J. Cao, "Research on a new kind of high directivity end-fire antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 33, 135-151, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11032809
19. Liu, J. and Q. Xue, "Microstrip magnetic dipole Yagi array antenna with endfire radiation and vertical polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1140-1147, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2230239
20. Cai, X., W. Geyi, and H. Sun, "A printed dipole array with high gain and endfire radiation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1512-1515, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2647319
21. Aguila, P., S. Zuffanelli, G. Zamora, F. Paredes, F. Martin, and J. Bonache, "Planar Yagi-Uda antenna array based on split-ring resonators (SRRs)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1233-1236, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2629079
22. Guo, H. and W. Geyi, "Design of Yagi-Uda antenna with multiple driven elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 92, 101-112, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19013002
23. Choo, H., R. Rogers, and H. Ling, "On the wheeler cap measurement of the efficiency of microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2328-2332, Jul. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.850758