An inset-fed planar MIMO antenna array design has been presented for dual-band 5G applications. The proposed MIMO array offers numerous advantages such as compact size, planar structure, and high isolation. The single element of the array comprises an inset-fed rectangular patch and open circuit stubs designed on the top side of the substrate, while the bottom layer consists of a partial ground plane. Simulated and measured results show that the proposed antenna offers dual-band characteristics at 28 GHz and 38 GHz frequency bands, respectively. It has also been observed from the results that the proposed inset-fed planar antenna offers good radiation characteristics, and acceptable gain and radiation efficiency. Furthermore, four-elements based MIMO antenna array has been designed for its possible use in 5G enabled communication devices. It has been demonstrated that the proposed MIMO antenna provides high isolation between array elements without disturbing the return loss of an individual element. The proposed MIMO antenna array has been fab- ricated and measured for the validation of simulation results, and it has been observed that both the results are in good agreement.
1. Rappaport, T. S., et al., "Millimeter wave mobile communications for 5G cellular: It will work!," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 335-349, 2013. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2013.2260813
2. Rappaport, T. S., et al., "Cellular broadband millimeter wave propagation and angle of arrival for adaptive beam steering systems (Invited Paper)," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 151-154, 2012.
3. Sulyman, A. I., et al., "Radio propagation path loss models for 5G cellular networks in the 28 GHz and 38 GHz millimeter-wave bands," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 9, 78-86, 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6894456
4. Wu, D., S. W. Cheung, T. I. Yuk, and X. L. Sun, "A planar MIMO antenna for mobile phones," PIERS Proceedings, 1150-1152, Taipei, March 25–28, 2013.
5. Haraz, O. M., M. M. Ashraf, and S. Alshebili, "8 × 8 patch antenna array with polarization and space diversity for future 5G cellular applications," International Conference on Information and Communication Technology Research, 258-261, 2015.
6. Liu, S. T., Y. W. Hsu, and Y. C. Lin, "A dual polarized cavity-backed aperture antenna for 5G mmW MIMO applications," IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems (COMCAS), 1-5, 2015.
7. Khalily, M., R. Tafazolli, T. Rahman, and M. Kamarudin, "Design of phased arrays of series-fed patch antennas with reduced number of the controllers for 28 GHz mm-wave applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1305-1308, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2505781
8. Parchin, N. O., M. Shen, and G. F. Pedersen, "End-fire phased array 5G antenna design using leaf-shaped bow-tie elements for 28/38 GHz MIMO applications," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Wireless Broadband (ICUWB), 1-4, 2016.
9. Rafique, U., H. Khalil, and S. Rehman, "Dual-band microstrip patch antenna array for 5G mobile communications," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium — Fall (PIERS — FALL), Singapore, November 19–22, 2017.
10. Khalily, M., R. Tafazolli, P. Xiao, A. A. Kishk, and , "Broadband mm-Wave microstrip array antenna with improved radiation characteristics for different 5G applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 9, 4641-4647, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2845451
11. Jilani, S. F. and A. Alomainy, "Millimetre-wave T-shaped MIMO antenna with defected ground structures for 5G cellular networks," IET Microwave, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 5, 672-677, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0467
12. Chu, S., M. N. Hasan, J. Yan, and C. C. Chu, "Tri-band 2 × 2 5G MIMO antenna array," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1543-1545, 2018. doi:10.23919/APMC.2018.8617590
13. Shuhrawardy, M., M. H. M. Chowdhury, and R. Azim, "A four-element compact wideband MIMO antenna for 5G applications," International Conference on Electrical, Computer and Communication Engineering (ECCE), 1-5, 2019.
14. Khalid, M., et al., "4-port MIMO antenna with defected ground structure for 5G millimeter wave applications," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 71, 1-13, 2020.
15. Du Plessis, M. and J. Cloete, "Tuning stubs for microstrip-patch antennas," EEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 36, No. 6, 52-56, 1994. doi:10.1109/74.370523
16. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
17. Chouchene, W., C. Larbi, and T. Aguili, "New electrical equivalent circuit model of the inset fed rectangular patch antenna," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium — Fall (PIERS — FALL), Singapore, November 19–22, 2017.
18. Iqbal, A., et al., "A compact UWB antenna with independently controllable notch bands," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 6, 1-12, 2019. doi:10.3390/s19061411
19. Rahman, S., Q. Cao, H. Ullah, and H. Khalil, "Compact design of trapezoid shape monopole antenna for SWB application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, 1931-1937, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31805
20. Ludwig, A. C., "The definition of cross polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 21, No. 1, 116-119, 1973. doi:10.1109/TAP.1973.1140406
21. Cornelius, R., A. Narbudowicz, M. J. Ammann, and D. Heberling, "Calculating the envelope correlation coefficient directly from spherical modes spectrum," 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2017.
22. Kumar, A., A. Q. Ansari, B. K. Kanaujia, and J. Kishor, "High isolation compact four-port MIMO antenna loaded with CSRR for multiband applications," Frequenz, Vol. 72, No. 9–10, 415-427, 2018. doi:10.1515/freq-2017-0276