A compact 30×30 mm2 high performance four elements ultra-wide band multi-input multi-output (UWB MIMO) diversity antenna is proposed. The prototype antenna consists of four symmetrical antenna elements which are orthogonally placed on top surface of the substrate with partial slotted ground plane. The isolationamong the antenna elements is improved by placing antenna elements orthogonally without any additional decoupling structure. The various antenna characteristic parameters, i.e. return loss (< -10 dB), isolation parameter (<-22 dB), radiation patterns near omnidirectional, and maximum realized gain 4.8 dB, were measured. The MIMO performances of prototype antenna were also measured in terms of various MIMO diversity parameters and found ECC<0.06, DG>9.98 dB, TARC<-10 dB and MEG<-3 dB throughout the frequency band. This design provides an operational bandwidth from 2.15 to 16.75 GHz which covers the whole UWB spectrum and is suitable for portable devices.
Pankaj Kumar Keshri,
Sanjay Kumar Sahu,
Anil Kumar Gautam,
"Compact Quad-Port High Performance UWB MIMO/Diversity Antenna with Slotted Ground Structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 112, 193-205, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21030402
1. Revision of part 15 of the commissions rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems first report and order, Tech. Rep. FCC 02.V48, Federal Commun. Commission, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.
2. Tao, J. and Q. Feng, "Compact ultrawideband MIMO antenna with half-slot structure," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 792-795, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2604344
3. Khan, M. S., A. D. Capobianco, A. M. Asif, D. E. Anagnostu, R. M. Shubair, and B. D. Braaten, "A compact CSRR-enabled UWB diversity antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 808-812, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2604843
4. Khan, M. S., A. D. Capobianco, A. Iftikhar, R. M. Shubair, D. E. Anagnostou, and B. D. Braaten, "Ultra-compact dual-polarised UWB MIMO antenna with meandered feeding lines," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 7, 997-1002, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.1074
5. Bilal, M., R. Saleem, H. H. Abbasi, M. F. Shafique, and A. K. Brown, "An FSS-based nonplanar quad-element UWB-MIMO antenna system," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 987-990, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2615884
6. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Srivastava, "Neutralization technique based two andfour port high isolation MIMO antennas for UWB communication," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 110, 152828-152837, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.152828
7. Dabas, T., D. Gangwar, B. K. Kanaujia, and A. K. Gautam, "Mutual coupling reduction between elements of UWB MIMO antenna using small size uniplanar EBG exhibiting multiple stop bands," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 93, 32-38, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.05.033
8. Wu, W., B. Yuan, and A. Wu, "A quad-element UWB-MIMO antenna with band-notch and reduced mutual coupling based on EBG structures," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8490740, 1-10, 2018.
9. Tang, X., Z. Yao, Y. Li, W. Zong, G. Liu, and F. Shan, "A high performance UWB MIMO antenna with defected ground structure and U-shape branches," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Engg., Vol. 22270, 1-14, 2020.
10. Wang, E., W. Wang, X. Tan, Y. Wu, J. Gao, and Y. Liu, "A UWB MIMO slot antenna using defected groundstructures for high isolation," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Engg., Vol. e22155, 1-10, 2020.
11. Deng, J. Y., L. X. Guo, and X. L. Liu, "An ultrawideband MIMO antenna with a high isolation," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 182-185, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2437713
12. Srivastava, G. and A. Mohan, "Compact dual-polarized UWB diversity antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 12, 2951-2955, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29476
13. Ren, J., W. Hu, Y. Yin, and R. Fan, "Compact printed MIMO antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1517-1520, 2014.
14. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1279-1282, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2037027
15. Lin, G. S., C. H. Sung, J. L. Chen, L. S. Chen, and M. P. Houng, "Isolation improvement in UWB MIMO antenna system using carbon black film," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 222-225, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2570301
16. Zhao, J. and J. Wang, "Correlation reduction in antennas with metamaterial based on newly designed SRRs," Asia-Pacific Int. Symp. Electromagn. Compat., 981-984, 2010.
17. Ketzaki, D. A. and T. V. Yioultsis, "Metamaterial-based design of planar compact MIMO monopoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2758-2766, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2243813
18. Hasan, M. N., S. Chu, and S. Bashir, "A DGS monopole antenna loaded with U-shape stub for UWB MIMO applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 61, 2141-2149, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31877
19. Tang, X., Z. Yao, Y. Li, W. Zong, G. Liu, and F. Shan, "A high performance UWB MIMO antenna with defected ground structure and U-shape branches," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Engg., Vol. 22270, 1-14, 2020.
20. Ali, W. A. E. and A. A. Ibrahim, "A compact double-sided MIMO antenna with an improved isolation for UWB applications," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 82, 7-13, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.07.031
21. Zhang, J. Y., F. Zhang, and W. P. Tian, "Compact 4-port ACS-fed UWB-MIMO antenna with shared radiators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 81-88, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15062304
22. Toktas, A. and A. Akdagli, "Compact multiple-input multiple-output antenna with low correlation for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, 822-829, 2015. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2014.0086
23. Khan, S. M., A. Iftikhar, S. M. Asif, A. D. Capobianco, and B. D. Braaten, "A compact four elements UWB MIMO antenna with on-demand WLAN rejection," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 2, 270-276, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29546
24. Tang, Z., X. Wu, J. Zhan, S. Hu, Z. Xi, and Y. Liu, "Compact UWB-MIMO antenna with high isolation and triple band-notched characteristic," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 19856-19865, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2897170
25. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "A simple ultrawideband planar rectangular printed Antenna with band dispensation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 1, 27-34, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036279
26. Yussuf, A. A. and S. Paker, "Design of a compact quad-radiating element MIMO antenna for LTE/Wi-Fi application," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 111, 152983-152902, 2019.
27. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Tapered fed compact UWB MIMO-diversity antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 4, 1677-1684, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2803134
28. Thakur, E., N. Jaglan, and S. D. Gupta, "Design of compact UWB MIMO antenna with enhanced bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 97, 83-94, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19083004