A high selectivity microstrip dual-mode diplexer with a stepped-impedance opened-end structure is implemented to reduce the size of a dual-mode resonator and suppress the harmonics. The proposed dual-mode resonator structure consists of a microstrip half-wavelength resonator and an open-circuited stepped-impedance stub. The stepped-impedance opened-end structure can control an even mode in the upper and lower desired bands to improve the cutoff responses. The sharp cutoff selectivity of the filter is created to improve the diplexer performance and wide suppress harmonics. The dual-mode diplexer prototype is analyzed, fabricated, and measured. The measured result agrees well with the analyzed result. The simulated and measured dual-mode diplexers are designed at the operational frequency of Tx/Rx at 1.95 GHz and 2.14 GHz, respectively. It is shown that the dual-mode ﬁlter has a wide stopband, including the ﬁrst spurious resonance frequency due to the stepped-impedance stub.
1. Tan, B. T., J. J. Yu, S. T. Chew, M.-S. Leong, and B.-L. Ooi, "A miniaturized dual-mode ring bandpass filter with a new perturbation," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 53, No. 1, 343-345, Jan. 2005.
2. Huang, X. D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel coplanar-waveguide bandpass filter using a dual-mode square-ring resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 16, No. 1, 13-15, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.861358
3. Kang, W., W. Hong, and J.Y. Zhou, "Performance improvement and size reduction of microstrip dual-mode bandpass filter," Electronics Letter, Vol. 44, No. 6, 421-422, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20080285
4. Hong, J.-S., H. Shaman, and Y.-H. Chun, "Dual-mode microstrip open-loop resonators and filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1764-1770, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.901592
5. Hua, C., C. Chen, C. Miao, and W. Wu, "Microstrip bandpass filters using dual-mode resonators with internal coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 21, 99-111, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11031003
6. Xu, Z. T. and J. Xu, "Design of dual-mode filters using stepped impedance resonators with stub loading," 2012 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), Vol. 4, 1-3, IEEE, 2012.
7. Goron, E., J.-P. Coupez, C. Person, Y. Toutain, H. Lattard, and F. Perrot, "Accessing to UMTS filtering specifications using new microstrip miniaturized loop-filters," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1599-1602, Jun. 2003.
8. Konpang, J., "A compact diplexer using square open loop with stepped impedance resonators," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2008.
9. Chuang, M.-L. and M.-T. Wu, "Microstrip diplexer design using common T-shaped resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 11, 583-585, 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2168949
10. Guan, X., F. Yang, H. Liu, and L. Zhu, "Compact and high-isolation diplexer using dual-mode stub-loaded resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 6, 385-387, 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2014.2313591
11. Peng, H. S. and Y. C. Chiang, "Microstrip diplexer constructed with new types of dual-mode ring filters," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 1, 7-9, 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2014.2365740
12. Yang, T., P.-L. Chi, and T. Itoh, "High isolation and compact diplexer using the hybrid resonators," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 10, 551-553, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2052793
13. Guan, X., F. Yang, H. Liu, and L. Zhu, "Compact and high-isolation diplexer using dual-mode stub-loaded resonators," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 6, 385-387, 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2014.2313591
14. Cheng, F., X. Q. Lin, Z. B. Zhu, L. Y. Wang, and Y. Fan, "High isolation diplexer using quarter-wavelength resonator filter," Electron Lett., Vol. 48, No. 6, 330-331, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.0031
15. Xiao, J.-K., M. Zhu, Y. Li, L. Tian, and J.-G. Ma, "High selective microstrip bandpass filter and diplexer with mixed electromagnetic coupling," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 12, 781-783, 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2015.2495194
16. Xu, J. X. and X. Y. Zhang, "Compact high-isolation LTCC diplexer using common stub-loaded resonator with controllable frequencies and bandwidths," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 11, 4636-4644, 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2697855
17. Konpang, J. and N. Wattikornsirikul, "Four-port dual-mode diplexer with high signal isolation," Active and Passive Electronic Components 2020, 2020.
18. Keshavarz, S., R. Keshavarz, and A. Abdipour, "Compact active duplexer based on CSRR and interdigital loaded microstrip coupled lines for LTE application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 109, 27-37, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC20112307
19. Keshavarz, S., A. Abdipour, A. Mohammadi, and R. Keshavarz, "Design and implementation of low loss and compact microstrip triplexer using CSRR loaded coupled lines," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 111, 152913, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.152913
20. Keshavarz, R., A. Mohammadi, and A. Abdipour, "A quad-band distributed amplifier with E-CRLH transmission line," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 12, 4188-4194, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2288939
21. Keshavarz, R. and N. Shariati, "Low profile metamaterial band-pass filter loaded with 4-turn complementary spiral resonator for WPT applications," 2020 27th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems (ICECS), 1-4, IEEE, 2020.
22. Keshavarz, R., Y. Miyanaga, M. Yamamoto, T. Hikage, and N. Shariati, "Metamaterial-inspired quad-band notch filter for LTE band receivers and WPT applications," 2020 XXXIIIrd General Assembly and Scientific Symposium of the International Union of Radio Science, 1-4, IEEE, 2020.
23. Keshavarz, R., M. Movahhedi, and A. Hakimi, "A compact 0-dB coupled-line forward coupler by loading with shunt periodic stubs," 2010 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1248-1251, IEEE, 2020.
24. Konpang, J. and N. Wattikornsirikul, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter with high cutoff rejection by using asymmetrical transmission zeros technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 100, 225-236, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM20102302