This paper presents a multi-sections broad-band radio-frequency (RF) to direct-current (dc) power rectifier for pulsed signal transfer. The power transfer using a pulse allows to use a signal with low power spectral density. The optimal distributed configuration with critical parameters is studied to enhance the efficiency over broadband frequency and wide power range. A five stage distributed RF-dc converter arrangement with micro-strip transmission line ensures the power harvesting from 100 MHz to 11 GHz. The designed and fabricated circuit is characterized at multi-frequencies of ultra-wide band (UWB). The distributed harvester significantly improves the detected voltage over a wide bandwidth compared to conventional RF detectors. The achieved efficiency with optimized parameters is 48% with five-stage harvester. A maximum dc output of 956 mV is reached at 8 dBm of input power of sinusoidal single tone signal at 1 GHz of frequency. The designed prototype is associated with a square wave signal to show the circuit potential in terms of power transfer. The output voltage can be controlled with input signal level, frequency as well as the pulse width. For the power transfer circuit, 996 mV of maximum dc output voltage is reached for 1 V of input amplitude at 1 GHz with duty cycle of 50%. The efficiency increases significantly with duty cycle ratio of the input signal. The power harvester associated with a UWB antenna confirms the benefit of using a square wave signal in the case of power harvesting or transfer.
"Enhanced Ultra-Wide Band Multistage Rectifier for Pulsed Signal Power Transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 112, 113-125, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21032904
1. Din, N. M., C. K. Chakrabarty, A. Bin Ismail, K. K. Devi, and W.-Y. Chen, "Design of RF energy harvesting system for energizing low power devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 49-69, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12072002
2. El Badawe, M. and O. M. Ramahi, "Efficient metasurface rectenna for electromagnetic wireless power transfer and energy harvesting," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 161, 35-40, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIER18011003
3. Shen, S., Y. Zhang, C. Chiu, and R. Murch, "A triple-band high-gain multibeam ambient RF energy harvesting system utilizing hybrid combining," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 67, No. 11, 9215-9226, 2020. doi:10.1109/TIE.2019.2952819
4. Du, Z. and X. Y. Zhang, "High-efficiency single- and dual-band rectifiers using a complex impedance compression network for wireless power transfer," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 65, No. 6, 5012-5022, 2018. doi:10.1109/TIE.2017.2772203
5. Donelli, M., P. Rocca, and F. Viani, "Design of a WPT system for the powering of wireless sensor nodes: Theoretical guidelines and experimental validation," Wireless Power Transfer, Vol. 3, No. 1, 15-23, 2016. doi:10.1017/wpt.2015.20
6. Liu, C., F. Tan, H. Zhang, and Q. He, "A novel single-diode microwave rectifier with a series band-stop structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 2, 600-606, 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2626286
7. Kawasaki, S., K. Ryoko, F. Yuki, N. Toshihiro, Y. Satoshi, N. Kenjiro, and S. Harunobu, "C-band energy harvester by Si RFICs with GaN diodes for microwave power transfer," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology, RFIT 2017, 147-149, Seoul, South Korea, 2017.
8. Liu, Z., Z. Zhong, and Y. X. Guo, "Enhanced dual-band ambient RF energy harvesting with ultra-wide power range," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 9, 630-632, 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2015.2451397
9. Niotaki, K., A. Georgiadis, and A. Collado, "Dual-band rectifier based on resistance compression networks," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 1-3, IEEE, Tampa, FL, USA, 2014.
10. Shariati, N., J. R. Scott, D. Schreurs, and K. Ghorbani, "Multitone excitation analysis in RF energy harvesters-considerations and limitations," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 5, No. 4, 2804-2816, 2018. doi:10.1109/JIOT.2018.2828978
11. Zeng, Y., B. Clerckx, and R. Zhang, "Communications and signals design for wireless power transmission," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 65, No. 5, 2264-2290, 2017. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2017.2676103
12. Henning, F. H., Transmission of Information by Orthogonal Functions, Vol. 87, No. 4, Springer, 2012.
13. Ross, G. F. and M. Lexington, "Transmission and reception system for generating and receiving base-band duration pulse signals for short base-band pulse communication system,", 912-914, 1973.
14. Albreem, M. A., "5G wireless communication systems: Vision and challenges," I4CT 2015 — 2015 2nd International Conference on Computer, Communications, and Control Technology, Art Proceeding, No. I4ct, 493-497, IEEE, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, 2015.
15. Zheng, S., W. Liu, and Y. Pan, "Design of an ultra-wideband high-efficiency rectifier for wireless power transmission and harvesting applications," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 15, No. 6, 3334-3342, 2019. doi:10.1109/TII.2018.2874460
16. Moulay, A. and T. Djerafi, "Multi-stage schottky diode power harvester for UWB application," IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference (WPTC), 8-11, Montreal, Canada, 2018.
17. Boaventura, A. S. and N. B. Carvalho, "Maximizing DC power in energy harvesting circuits using multisine excitation," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1-4, Baltimore, MD, USA, 2011.
18. Bahl, I. J., Fundamentals of RF and Microwave Transistor Amplifiers, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2009.
19. Jose Carlos, P. and N. B. Carvalho, Intermodulation Distortion in Microwave and Wireless Circuits, Artech House, 2003.
20. Skyworks, "SM76XX Datasheet. Surface mount mixer and detector Schottky diodes," Tech. Rep., Skyworks, 2015.
21. Yang, Y. L., C. L. Tsai, C. W. Yang, and C. L. Yang, "Using pulse width and waveform modulation to enhance power conversion efficiency under constraint of low input power," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, 400-402, APMC, 2012.
22. Metivier, R., "Method for converting a PWM output to an analog output when using hall-effect sensor ICs," Allegro MicroSystems, No. 296094-AN, 2013.
23. Sinar, D. and G. Knopf, "Printed graphene derivative circuits as passive electrical filters," Nanomaterials, Vol. 8, No. 2, 123, 2018. doi:10.3390/nano8020123