Parasitic effects in a lumped-element multilayer LC resonator are analyzed with an equivalent circuit. An optimization technique is proposed. With this technique, undesired influences of parasitic effects may be reduced. Meanwhile, some of the parasitic effects may be used for the size-reduction and performance improvement. A lumped-element multilayer LC resonator is used for demonstration. The optimized resonator outperforms the resonator before optimization in both performance and size. A multilayer filter composed of four LC resonators is used for verification. The measurement results agree very well with circuit results. The measured parasitic resonances are higher than the third harmonic frequency. These facts show the effectiveness of the proposed technique.
"Optimization Technique for Lumped-Element LC Resonator Constructed on Multilayer Substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 97, 157-163, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21040205
1. Zhu, H., X. Ning, Z. Huang, and X. Wu, "An ultra-compact on-chip reconfigurable bandpass filter with semi-lumped topology by using GaAs pHEMT technology," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 31606-31613, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2972932
2. Qian, K., "Miniaturised LTCC diplexer with low insertion loss for LTE application," Electron. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 1, 39-41, 2020. doi:10.1049/el.2019.3149
3. Zhou, B., W. Sheng, and Y. Zheng, "Miniaturized lumped-element LTCC filter with spurious spikes suppressed vertically-interdigital-capacitors," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 10, 692-694, 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2014.2342935
4. Guo, Q., X. Y. Zhang, L. Gao, Y. C. Li, and J. Chen, "Microwave and millimeter-wave LTCC filters using discriminating coupling for mode suppression," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manufact. Technol., Vol. 6, No. 2, 272-281, 2016. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2015.2509028
5. Feng, X., K. Huang, and Y. Liu, "Design of a C-band miniaturized rectifying circuit with a multilayer structure," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 7, 1760-1765, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30619
6. Sutono, A., D. Heo, Y.-J. Chen, and J. Laskar, "High-Q LTCC-based passive library for wireless system-on-package (SOP) module development," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 10, 1715-1724, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.954775
7. Borah, D. and T. S. Kalkur, "Temperature effect on a lumped element balanced dual-band band-stop filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 97, 107-117, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20062907
8. Tan, C., Z. Yu, and C. Xie, "An L-band bandpass filter with narrow bandwidth and miniature based on LTCC technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 87, 63-72, 2019.
9. Parvathi, K. S. L., S. R. Gupta, and P. P. Bhavarthe, "A novel compact electromagnetic band gap structure to reduce the mutual coupling in multilayer MIMO antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 94, 167-177, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20051805