A multiband hexagonal ring-shaped fractal antenna with stubs and slits loaded partial ground plane has been presented in this manuscript. The proposed antenna is compact in size 24×30×1.6 mm3 and exhibits enhanced bandwidth, gain, and reflection coefficient. Measured results exhibit that the proposed antenna resonates with impedance bandwidth (S11 ≤ -10 dB) in the frequency ranges 1.0-2.75 GHz, 4.74-8.70 GHz, 11.04-12.76 GHz, 14.97-16.62 GHz, and 19.70-22.0 GHz. These frequency ranges cover distinct wireless standards such as 1800 MHz 2G spectrum of GSM band (1.71-1.88 GHz), LTE 2300/LTE 2500 (2.3-2.4 GHz/2.5-2.69 GHz), RFID/Bluetooth (2.4 GHz), 5G spectrum band (5900-6400 MHz) adopted by European Union, Long Term Evolution (LTE) band 46 (5150-5925 GHz), RFID (5.4 GHz), WLAN (5.15-5.35 and 5.72-5.85 GHz), Wi-MAX (5.25-5.85 GHz), FSS (11.45-11.7/12.5-12.75 GHz), defence systems (14.62-15.23 GHz), aeronautical radio navigations (15.43-17.3 GHz), and fixed/mobile satellite communications (19.7-20.1 GHz and 20.2- 21.2 GHz). The proposed antenna reveals the positive value of peak realized gain with almost omnidirectional radiation patterns in E- and H-planes for all the resonant frequency bands. The performance of proposed antenna has been realized by using HFSS V13 simulator based on FEM (Finite Element Method), and the results are compared with the experimental results which are in good agreement with each other.
Sumeet Singh Bhatia,
"Stubs and Slits Loaded Partial Ground Plane Inspired Novel Hexagonal Ring-Shaped Fractal Antenna for 5G/LTE/RFID/GSM/Bluetooth/WLAN/WiMAX
Wireless Applications: Design and Measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 112, 99-111, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21040601
1. Mandelbrot, B.-B., The Fractal Geometry of Nature, San Francisco, W.H. Freeman and Company, California, 1982.
2. Sharma, N. and V. Sharma, "A journey of antenna from dipole to fractal: A review," J. Eng. Technol., Vol. 6, No. 2, 317-351, 2017.
3. Sharma, N. and S.-S. Bhatia, "Double split Labyrinth resonator based CPW-fed hybrid fractal antennas for PCS/UMTS/WLAN/Wi-MAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 18, 2476-2498, 2019. doi:10.1080/09205071.2019.1685009
4. Sharma, N., V. Sharma, and S. S. Bhatia, "A novel hybrid fractal antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 73, 25-35, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18052403
5. Sharma, N. and V. Sharma, "A design of microstrip patch antenna using hybrid fractal slot for wideband applications," Ain. Shams. Eng. J., Vol. 9, No. 4, 2491-2497, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.asej.2017.05.008
6. Kaur, M. and J.-S. Sivia, "Minkowski, Giuseppe Peano and Koch curves-based design of compact hybrid fractal antenna for biomedical applications using ANN and PSO," AEU-Int. J. Electon. and Commun., Vol. 99, 14-24, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.11.005
7. Bangi, I.-S. and J.-S. Sivia, "Moore, Minkowski and Koch curves-based hybrid fractal antenna for multiband applications," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 108, 2435-2448, 2019. doi:10.1007/s11277-019-06531-7
8. Kumar, Y. and S. Sing, "A compact multiband hybrid fractal antenna for multi-standard mobile wireless applications," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 84, 57-67, 2015. doi:10.1007/s11277-015-2593-x
9. Shahu, B.-L., N. Chattoraj, S. Pal, and D.-K. Upadhyay, "A compact UWB bandpass filter using hybrid fractal shaped DGS," J. Microw., Optoelect. and Electromag. App., Vol. 16, No. 1, 38-49, 2017. doi:10.1590/2179-10742017v16i1731
10. Choukiker, Y.-K., S.-K. Sharma, and S.-K. Behera, "Hybrid fractal shape planar monopole antenna covering multiband wireless communications with MIMO implementation for handheld mobile devices," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1483-1488, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2295213
11. Sharma, N., S. Kaur, and B.-S. Dhaliwal, "A new triple band hybrid fractal boundary antenna," IEEE Int. Conf. Recent Trends Electron., Info. & Commun. Technol., 2016.
12. Bangi, I.-S. and J.-S. Sivia, "A compact hybrid fractal antenna using Koch and Minkowski curves," IEEE 9th Annual Info. Technol., Electron. and Mobile Commun. Conf., 2018.
13. Goyal, N., S. Singh, and A. Marwaha, "Hybrid fractal microstrip patch antenna for wireless applications," Int. Conf. Next Gen. Comput. Technol., 2015.
14. Kaur, N., J. Singh, and M. Kumar, "Hexagonal ring-shaped dual band antenna using staircase fractal geometry for wireless applications," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 113, 2067-2078, 2020. doi:10.1007/s11277-020-07307-0
15. Mark, R., N. Mishra, K. Mandal, P.-P. Sarkar, and S. Das, "Hexagonal ring fractal antenna with dumb bell-shaped defected ground structure for multiband wireless applications," AEU-Int. J. Electon. and Commun., Vol. 94, 42-50, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.06.039
16. Sharma, N. and S.-S. Bhatia, "Performance enhancement of nested hexagonal ring-shaped compact multiband integrated wideband fractal antennas for wireless applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Aided. Eng., Vol. 30, No. 3, 1-21, 2019.
17. Rathod, S.-M., P. Jadhav, R.-N. Awale, K.-P. Ray, and S.-S. Kakatkar, "Low profile hexagonal ring patch antenna for biomedical application," Int. Conf. Comput. Commun. Cont. Autom., 2017.
18. Ray, K.-P., S.-S. Kakatkar, S.-M. Rathod, R.-N. Awale, and D.-P. Rathod, "Investigation of hexagonal ring microstrip antenna," Int. Conf. on Microw., Optic and Commun. Eng., 2015.
19. Daniel, R. S. and R. Selvaraj, "A low-profile split ring monopole antenna loaded with hexagonal split ring resonator for RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 92, 169-179, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20030702
20. Bhatia, S. S. and N. Sharma, "A compact wideband antenna using partial ground plane with truncated corners, L-shaped stubs and inverted T-shaped slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 97, 133-141, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20072503
21. Madhav, B. T. P. and A. Tirunagari, "Design and study of multiband planar wheel-like fractal antenna for vehicular communication applications," Microw. Optic. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, 1985-1993, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.31290
22. Reha, A., A. El Amri, O. Benhmammouch, A. O. Said, A. El Ouadih, and M. Bouchouirbat, "CPW-fed H-tree fractal antenna for WLAN, WIMAX, RFID, C-band, HiperLAN, and UWB applications," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., Vol. 8, 327-334, 2016. doi:10.1017/S175907871500001X
23. Lu, H.-X., F. Liu, S. Ming, and Y.-A. Liu, "Design and analysis of wideband U-slot patch antenna with U-shaped parasitic elements," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 28, No. 2, e21202, 2018. doi:10.1002/mmce.21202
24. Bhatia, S. S., J. S. Sivia, and N. Sharma, "An optimal design of fractal antenna with modified ground structure for wideband applications," Wirel. Pers. Commun., Vol. 103, 1977-1991, 2018. doi:10.1007/s11277-018-5891-2
25. Kakkar, S. and S. Rani, "Implementation of fractal geometry to enhance the bandwidth of CPW fed printed monopole antenna," IETE J. Res., Vol. 63, 23-30, 2017. doi:10.1080/03772063.2016.1242382
26. Deng, C., "Wideband microstrip antennas loaded by ring resonators," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1665-1668, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2294921
27. Singh, G. and A. P. Singh, "On the design of planar antenna using Fibonacci word fractal geometry in support of public safety," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, No. 2, e21554, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21554
28. Joseph, S., B. Paul, S. Mridula, and P. Mohanan, "A novel planar fractal antenna with CPW-feed for multiband applications," Radioeng. J., Vol. 22, 1262-1266, 2013.
29. Vallappil, A. K., B. A. Khawaja, I. Khan, and M. Mustaqim, "Dual-band Minkowski-Sierpinski fractal antenna for next generation satellite communications and wireless body area networks," Microw. Optic. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, 171-178, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.30931
30. Puri, S.-C., S. Das, and M.-G. Tiary, "A multiband antenna using plus-shaped fractal-like elements and stepped ground plane," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 30, No. 5, e22169, 2020. doi:10.1002/mmce.22169