A new compact nonuniform leaky-wave antenna (LWA) with left-handed elliptical polarization (LHEP), based on composite right/left-handed (CRLH) metamaterial operating in the range of 7-10.2 GHz is presented in the work. The nonuniform structure of a CRLH transmission line (TL) is realized by the placement of different configurations of inter-digital capacitor (IDC) in the form of sinusoid (SIN-IDC), on the top of metal wall of a half-mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW). Balanced condition of the unit cells is provided by the change in slit width, amplitude and the number of SIN-IDC periods, as well as by relocation of two additional transition apertures arranged by both sides of SIN-IDC. Based on the known Hensen-Woodyard criterion, the optimal number of the unit cells was determined, when the gain coefficient varied from 7.5 to 9.8 dB in all of the operational range of antenna. The developed prototype of nonuniform CRLH LWA has the size of 8.1x115.2 mm. It is characterized by a continuous scan angle range equal to 117°. The maximum angle of rotation radiation pattern is -66° for backward radiation and +51° for direct radiation. The maximum efficiency of the antenna radiation is 85%, while the total one is 68%.
"A Compact Non-Uniform Composite Right/Left-Handed Leaky-Wave Scanning Antenna with Elliptical Polarization for X-Band Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 114, 43-56, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21053103
1. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Single-substrate integration technique of planar circuits and waveguide filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 2, 593-596, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807820
2. Hong, W., B. Liu, Y. Wang, Q. Lai, H. Tang, X. X. Yin, Y. D. Dong, Y. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide: A new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application," Proc. Joint 31st Int. Infrared Millimeter Waves Conf./14th Int. Terahertz Electronic Conf. 2006 (IRMMW-THz 2006), 219, 2006.
4. Lyu, Y., X. Liu, P. Y. Wang, et al. "Leaky-wave antennas based on non-cutoff substrate integrated waveguide supporting beam scanning from backward to forward," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 6, 2155-2164, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2550054
5. Prakash, V., S. Kumawat, and P. Singh, "Design and analysis of full and half mode substrate integrated waveguide planar leaky wave antenna with continuous beam scanning in X-Ku band," Frequenz, 2019.
6. Agrawal, R., P. Belwal, and S. Gupta, "Asymmetric substrate integrated waveguide leaky wave antenna with open stop band suppression and radiation efficiency equalization through broadside," Radioengineering, Vol. 27, No. 2, 409-416, 2018. doi:10.13164/re.2018.0409
7. Caloz, C., T. Itoh, and A. Rennings, "CRLH metamaterial leaky-wave and resonant antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 5, 25-39, 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4674709
8. Caloz, C., T. Itoh, and (n.d.), "Novel microwave devices and structures based on the transmission line approach of meta-materials," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2003.
9. Sabahi, M. M., A. A. Heidari, and M. Movahhedi, "A compact CRLH circularly polarized leakywave antenna based on substrate-integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 9, 4407-4414, September 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2851278
10. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Substrate integrated composite right-/left-handed leaky-wave structure for polarization-flexible antenna application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 760-771, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173124
11. Noumi, R., J. Machac, N. Boulajefan, and A. Gharsallah, "Development of SIW LWA from non-uniform CRLH unit cells with SLL reduction," 2018 18th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 2018.
12. Pourghorban Saghati, A., M. M. Mirsalehi, and M. H. Neshati, "A HMSIW circularly polarized leaky-wave antenna with backward, broadside, and forward radiation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 451-454, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2309557
13. Mohtashami, Y. and J. R. Mohasee, "A butterfly substrate integrated leaky wave antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 2013.
14. Lai, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, 2004. doi:10.1109/MMW.2004.1337766
15. Thomas, K. G. and G. Praveen, "Anovel wideband circularly polarized printed antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 12, 5564-5570, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2208930
16. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications: the Engineering Approach, Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
17. Henry, R. and M. Okoniewski, "A broadside-scanning half-mode substrate integrated waveguide periodic leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1429-1432, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2341217
18. Ostankov, A. V. and E. G. Khripunov, "Horn SIW-antenna with a special coplanar junction and dielectric lens for feeding of the planar leaky-wave antenna," Radiostroenie, No. 2, 1-26, 2020.
19. Jackson, D. R. and A. A. Oliner, Leaky-wave Antennas’ in Balanis, C.A., ‘Modern Antenna Handbook’, Ed. Hoboken, NJ, USA, Wiley, blue, November 26, 2007.
20. O'Connor, E. M., D. R. Jackson, and S. A. Long, "Extension of the Hansen-Woodyard condition for endfire leaky-wave antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1201-1204, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2091618