A dual-band Wilkinson power divider covering comprehensive frequency ratios with improved Out-of-Band rejection is proposed with the use of only a resistor. In millimeter-wave range, the established lumped element based design with a wide range of frequency ratio suffers from the nonexistence of tiny required values and the difficulties of integrating them in the proposed designs. To tackle some of the more common millimeter-wave frequency bands challenges, the RLC is substituted in the design by transmission lines and a single resistor. The design parameters and rules are derived theoretically using even/odd mode analysis, and it takes into consideration the Out-of-Band performance. For validation, three different dual-frequency bands are studied (5.8-28 GHz, 20-35 GHz, and 28-35 GHz). The simulated and experimental results exhibit all the advantages of the proposed Wilkinson power divider, succeeding in boosting multi-functional and multi-standard RF and mm-wave front-ends for communication systems.
"Simplified Dual-Frequency Wilkinson Power Divider with Enhanced Out-of-Band Performance for Millimeter-Wave Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 114, 113-127, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21062106
1. Deng, P.-H., J.-H. Guo, and W.-C. Kuo, "New Wilkinson power dividers based on compact steppedimpedance transmission lines and shunt open stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, No. November 2011, 143-158, 2012.
2. Park, M.-J. and B. Lee, "A dual-bandWilkinson power divider," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 18, No. 2, 85-87, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.915031
3. Cheng, K.-K. and F.-L. Wong, "A new Wilkinson power divider design for dual band application," Microw. Wirel. Components Lett. IEEE, Vol. 17, No. 9, 664-666, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.903454
4. Osseiran, A., J. F. Monserrat, P. Marsch, M. Dohler, and T. Nakamura, 5G Mobile and Wireless Communications Technology, Cambridge University Press, 2016.
5. Ericsson, "5G deployment considerations in today s networks,", Tech. Rep., Ericsson.com, 2018.
6. Gómez-García, R., R. Loeches-Sánchez, D. Psychogiou, and D. Peroulis, "Single/multi-band Wilkinson-type power dividers with embedded transversal filtering sections and application to channelized filters," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I Regul. Pap., Vol. 62, No. 6, 1518-1527, 2015. doi:10.1109/TCSI.2015.2418838
7. Lin, Y. S. and C. Y. Lin, "Miniature dual-band quadrature coupler with arbitrary power division ratios over the two bands," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I Regul. Pap., Vol. 67, No. 2, 634-646, 2020. doi:10.1109/TCSI.2019.2950910
8. Cheng, K.-K. M. and C. Law, "A novel approach to the design and implementation of dual-band power divider," IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 2, 473-476, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.914629
9. Wang, X., I. Sakagami, K. Takahashi, and S. Okamura, "A generalized dual-band Wilkinson power divider with Parallel L, C, and R components," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 4, 952-964, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2184298
10. Wu, L., Z. Sun, H. Yilmaz, and M. Berroth, "A dual-frequency Wilkinson power divider," Microw. Theory Tech. IEEE Trans., Vol. 54, No. 1, 278-284, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.860300
11. Horst, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, M. M. Tentzeris, and J. Papapolymerou, "Modified Wilkinson power dividers for millimeter-wave integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 11, 2439-2445, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.908672
12. Zhao, M., A. Kumar, C. Wang, B. Xie, T. Qiang, and K. K. Adhikari, "Design method of dual-band Wilkinson power divider with improved out-of-band rejection performance and high design exibility," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 110, 152844, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.152844
13. Monzon, C., "A small dual-frequency transformer in two sections," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 4 I, 1157-1161, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809675
14. Antsos, D., R. Crist, and L. Sukamto, "A novel Wilkinson power divider with predictable performance at K and Ka-band," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 907-910, 1994.
15. Garg, R. and I. Bahl, "Characteristics of coupled microstriplines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 27, No. 7, 700-705, 1979. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1979.1129704