In this paper, a full-360° reflection-type phase shifter (RTPS) using a trans-directional (TRD) coupler with multi-resonance loads is presented. It features the characteristics of wide bandwidth, small size, and wide phase shifts with a compact structure and inherent DC blocking. Influences of the multi-resonance loads on the phase shifts and insertion losses of the RTPS are analyzed, and design procedures are given for guidance. For validation, a prototype is designed at 2 GHz. The overall size is 0.56λg × 0.17λg. Measured results show a bandwidth of 20% under the criterion of more than 10-dB return loss. Meanwhile, a relative phase variation of 425° with a maximum insertion loss of 3.6 dB is achieved when the varactor capacitance is varied among 0.35 pF~3.2 pF.
"Design of Full-360° Reflection-Type Phase Shifter Using Trans-Directional Coupler with Multi-Resonance Loads," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 101, 63-70, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21091802
1. Yang, B., X. Chen, J. Chu, T. Mitani, and N. Shinohara, "A 5.8-GHz phased array system using power-variable phase-controlled magnetrons for wireless power transfer," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 68, No. 11, 4951-4959, Nov. 2020. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2020.3007187
2. Ren, H., P. Li, Y. Gu, and B. Arigong, "Phase shifter-relaxed and control-relaxed continuous steering multiple beamforming 4 x 4 butler matrix phased array," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 67, No. 12, 5031-5039, Dec. 2020. doi:10.1109/TCSI.2020.3009215
3. Yang, X. and J. Lin, "A digitally controlled constant envelope phase-shift modulator for low-power broad-band wireless applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 54, No. 1, 96-105, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.861669
4. Sobhy, E. A. and S. Hoyos, "A multiphase multipath technique with digital phase shifters for harmonic distortion cancellation," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Exp. Briefs, Vol. 57, No. 12, 921-925, Dec. 2010. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2010.2083090
5. Bourtoutian, R. and P. Ferrari, "Tapered distributed analogue tunable phase shifter with low insertion and return loss," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 15, 852-854, Jul. 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20051810
6. Anand, P., S. Sharma, D. Sood, and C. C. Tripathi, "Design of compact reconfigurable switched line microstrip phase shifters for phased array antenna," Proc. Emerg. Technol. Trends Electron. Commun. Netw., Vol. 19, 1-3, Gujarat, India, Dec. 2012.
7. Singh, A. and M. K. Mandal, "Electronically tunable reflection type phase shifters," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Exp. Briefs, Vol. 67, No. 3, 425-429, Mar. 2020. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2019.2921036
8. Lin, C., S. Chang, C. Chang, and Y. Shu, "Design of a reflection-type phase shifter with wide relative phase shift and constant insertion loss," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 9, 1862-1868, Sept. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.903346
9. Lin, C., S. Chang, and W. Hsiao, "A full-360◦ reflection-type phase shifter with constant insertion loss," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 2, 106-108, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.915094
10. Burdin, F., Z. Iskandar, F. Podevin, and P. Ferrari, "Design of compact reflection-type phase shifters with high figure-of-merit," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 63, No. 6, 1883-1893, Jun. 2015. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2015.2428242
11. Li, T. and H. Wang, "A millimeter-wave fully integrated passive reflection-type phase shifter with transformer-based multi-resonance loads for 360◦ phase shifting," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 65, No. 4, 1406-1419, Apr. 2018. doi:10.1109/TCSI.2017.2748078
12. Vilenskiy, A. R., M. N. Makurin, E. I. Poshisholina, and C. Lee, "Design technique for varactor analog phase shifters with equalized losses," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 86, 1-16, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18060504
13. Abbosh, A. M., "Compact tunable reflection phase shifters using short section of coupled lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 8, 2465-2472, Aug. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2198232
14. Liu, W. J., S. Y. Zheng, Y. M. Pan, Y. X. Li, and Y. L. Long, "A wideband tunable reflection-type phase shifter with wide relative phase shift," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Exp. Briefs, Vol. 64, No. 12, 1442-1446, Dec. 2017. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2017.2650946
15. Venter, J. J. P., T. Stander, and P. Ferrari, "X-band reflection-type phase shifters using coupled-line couplers on single-layer RF PCB," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 9, 807-809, Sept. 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2853562
16. Shie, C. I., J. C. Cheng, S. C. Chou, et al. "Trans-directional coupled-line couplers implemented by periodical shunt capacitors," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 12, 2981-2987, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2034219
17. Sychev, A. N., I. M. Dobush, N. Y. Rudyi, and S. M. Struchkov, "Analog phase shifter of X-band implemented with novel trans-directional coupled-line coupler," Proc. 48th Eur. Microw. Conf. (EuMC), 811-814, 2018.
18. Sychev, A. N., N. Y. Rudyi, I. M. Dobush, and K. K. Zharov, "A phase shifter based on trans-directional coupler with DC isolation of RF-path and control circuit," Proc. APEIE, 380-383, Novosibirsk, Russia, Oct. 2018.
19. Occello, O., L. Tiague, M. Margalef-Rovira, L. Vincent, F. Ndagijimana, and P. Ferrari, "High-performance compact reflection-type phase shifter operating at 2 GHz using a transdirectional coupler," Proc. 50th Eur. Microw. Conf. (EuMC), 550-553, 2021.
20. Liu, H., S. Fang, Z. Wang, and T. Shao, "Coupled line trans-directional coupler with improved power distribution and phase performance," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Radio-Frequency Integr. Technol. (RFIT), 126-128, Aug. 2017.