This paper presents a comparative study that was done using genetic algorithm, improved particle swarm optimization and the hybrid technique genetical swarm optimizer approaches for the design of one-dimensional photonic crystal selective filters. The three evolutionary methods for synthesizing the geometrical parameters of a fiber Bragg grating structure from its layer thicknesses are proposed and demonstrated. The synthesis of the mono-band 1-D PhC selective filters is designed as a mono-objective problem, and these 1-D PhCs are composed of alternate Si and Air layers with thicknesses on the micron scale. The main contribution of this paper is formed by the solution to this kind of problems. According to the literature, this hybrid methodology genetical swarm optimizer has not been dealt with before, when 1-D PhCs selective filters are considered. Comparison of the GA, IPSO and GSO for the selected set of examples revealed an improvement of paramount importance in terms of error lowering and the number of iteration cycles diminution.
Hadjira Abri Badaoui,
"Optimal Design of One-Dimensional Photonic Crystal Selective Filters with the Use of Computational Optimization Methods," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 121, 19-28, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22051704
1. Qiang, H., L. Jiang, W. Jia, and X. Li, "Design of one-dimensional dielectric and magnetic photonic crystal filters with broad omnidirectional filtering band," Optica Applicata, Vol. XLI, No. 1, 63-77, 2011.
2. Chaker, H., H. Badaoui, M. Abri, et al. "Efficient synthesis of dual-band selective filters using evolutionary methods in a 1D photonic crystal slab for near-infrared applications," J. Comput. Electron., Vol. 19, 353-358, 2020. doi:10.1007/s10825-019-01439-8
3. Badaoui, H. A. and M. Abri, "One-dimensional photonic crystal selective filters design using simulated annealing optimization technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 53, 107-125, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13052503
4. Abdel-Karim, S. O. H., A. S. A. Mohamed, M. M. T. Maghrabi, and N. H. Rafat, "Optimal design of one-dimensional photonic crystal filters using minimax optimization approach," Applied Optics, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1399-1409, 2015. doi:10.1364/AO.54.001399
5. Mescia, L., A. Giaquinto, G. Fornarelli, G. Acciani, M. De Sario, and F. Prudenzano, "Particle swarm optimization for the design and characterization of silica-based photonic crystal fiber amplifiers," Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, Vol. 357, No. 8-9, 1851-1855, April 15, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2010.12.049
6. Teoh, C. W. and F. A. Rahman, "Synthesis of fiber bragg grating parameters using hybrid optimization algorithm," Conference on Innovative Technologies in Intelligent Systems and Industrial Applications, 428-433, Sunway Campus, Malaysia, July 2009.
7. Skaar, J., L. Wang, and T. Erdogan, "On the synthesis of fiber bragg gratings by layer peeling," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 2, 165-173, February 2001. doi:10.1109/3.903065
8. Yang, H., S. Meng, G. Wang, and C. Huang, "The optimization of the dielectric layer photonic crystal filter by the quadratic response surface methodology," Optica Applicata, Vol. XLV, No. 3, 369-379, 2015.
9. Hassan, A.-K. S. O., A. S. A. Mohamed, M. M. T. Maghrabi, and N. H. Rafat, "Statistical design centering optimization of 1D photonic crystal filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 49, 153-165, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM16061203
11. Bäck, T., D. Fogel, and Z. Michalewicz (eds.), The Handbook of Evolutionary Computation, Oxford University Press/IOP Publishing, New York, NY, 1997. doi:10.1887/0750308958
12. Xie, X.-F., W.-J. Zhang, and Z.-L. Yang, "Adaptive particle swarm optimization on individual level," IEEE International Conference on Digital Signals Processing, 1215-1218, Beijing, China, July 1-3, 2002.
13. Grimaccial, F., M. Mussettal, P. Pirinoli, and R. E. Zichl, "Genetical Swarm Optimization (GSO): A class of population-based algorithms for antenna design," IEEE International Conference on Communications and Electronics, 467-471, October 2006.
14. Badaoui, H., M. Abri, and H. Chaker, "Optimal selective arbitrary-spaced filters optimization using GA synthesis in one-dimensional silicon photonic crystal," Silicon, Vol. 11, 789-795, May 2018.