A compact metamaterial-loaded wideband monopole antenna is reported in this paper for wireless applications. Initially, a monopole antenna with a single stub was designed to resonate at 4 GHz. Still, it suffers from low gain, so to enhance the antenna parameters, a metamaterial unit cell was considered along the feed line and ground plane. Double split ring resonator (DSRR) is a modified unit cell of a typical split ring resonator (SRR) designed to achieve a good coupling effect. The dimensions of the proposed DSRR unit cell are 0.17λ0 × 0.17λ0, where λ0 is the free space wavelength at 4 GHz. It achieved an impedance bandwidth (-10 dB) in the frequency range of 3.38 GHz to 4.08 GHz & 4.64 GHz to 5.2 GHz, having a 19.49% bandwidth in the 1st band and 11.7% bandwidth in the 2nd band. A wideband was achieved in the frequency range of 3.39 GHz to 5.13 GHz with 47.9% bandwidth when the number of stubs was increased to four. A maximum gain of 3.3 dBi was attained with bidirectional radiation in the E-plane, and it was omnidirectional in the H-plane. By increasing the number of stubs, two resonant modes were merged, making it wideband and suitable for WLAN applications like Wi-Fi & WiMAX & Satellite Communications.
Shaik Abdul Khadar,
"Compact Metamaterial Loaded Wideband Monopole Antenna for Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 128, 247-261, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC22120106
1. Wang, K., E. Kedze, and I. Park, "A high-gain and wideband series-fed angled printed dipole array antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 7, 5708-5713, Jul. 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.2975882
2. Wong, K., H. Chang, C. Wang, and S. Wang, "Very-low-profile grounded coplanar waveguide-fed dual-band WLAN slot antenna for on-body antenna application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 1, 213-217, Jan. 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2958961
3. Wang, Z., J. Liu, and Y. Long, "A simple wide-bandwidth and high-gain microstrip patch antenna with both sides shorted," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 6, 1144-1148, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2911045
4. Samson Daniel, R., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Raghavan, "A compact metamaterial loaded monopole antenna with offset-fed microstrip line for wireless applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 83, 88-94, 2018.
5. Alam, T., M. Samsuzzaman, M. R. I. Faruque, and M. T. Islam, "A metamaterial unit cell inspired antenna for mobile wireless applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 263-267, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29543
6. Sharma, S. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Dual-band metamaterial-inspired antenna for mobile applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 1444-1447, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29113
7. Huang, H., Y. Liu, S. Zhang, and S. Gong, "Multiband metamaterial-loaded monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 662-665, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2376969
8. Behera, P. and S. S. Behera, "Compact multiband monopole antenna with complementary split ring resonator for WLAN and WIMAX applications," NCRAEEE Conference Proceedings, International Journal of Engineering & Technology (IJERT), 2015.
9. Zhu, J., M. A. Antoniades, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact tri-band monopole antenna with single-cell metamaterial loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1031-1038, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2041317
10. Cao, F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "A multi-band slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 63, 952-958, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2389219
11. Moniruzzaman, M., et al., "Inductively tuned modified split ring resonator based quad band epsilon negative (ENG) with near zero index (NZI) metamaterial for multiband antenna performance enhancement," Sci. Rep., Vol. 11, 11950, 2021. doi:10.1038/s41598-021-91432-8
12. Afsar, S. U., M. R. I. Faruque, M. J. Hossain, M. U. Khandaker, H. Osman, and S. Alamri, "Modified Hexagonal split ring resonator based on an epsilon-negative metamaterial for triple-band satellite communication," Micromachines, Vol. 12, 878, 2021. doi:10.3390/mi12080878
13. Shahidul Islam, M., M. Samsuzzaman, G. K. Beng, N. Misran, N. Amin, and M. T. Islam, "A gap coupled hexagonal split ring resonator based metamaterial for S-band and X-band microwave applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, No. 8, 68239-68253, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2985845
14. Islam, M. R., M. Samsuzzaman, N. Misran, G. K. Beng, and M. T. Islam, "A tri-band left-handed meta-atom enabled designed with a high effective medium ratio for microwave-based applications," Results Phys., Vol. 17, 103032, Jun. 2020. doi:10.1016/j.rinp.2020.103032
15. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory, Analysis, and Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1997.
16. Li, L., Z. Jia, F. Huo, and W. Han, "A novel compact multiband antenna employing dual-band CRLH-TL for smart mobile phone application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1688-1691, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2295915
17. Basaran, S., U. Olgun, and K. Sertel, "Multiband monopole antenna with complementary split-ring resonators for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, 636-638, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2013.0357
18. Sarkar, D., K. Saurav, and K. Srivastava, "Multi-band microstrip-fed slot antenna loaded with a split-ring resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, 1498-1500, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.2625
19. Behera, S. S. and S. Sahu, "Frequency reconfigurable antenna inspired by metamaterial for WLAN and WiMAX application," 2014 International Conference on Signal Propagation and Computer Technology (ICSPCT 2014), 442-446, 2014. doi:10.1109/ICSPCT.2014.6884952
20. Dakhli, N. and F. Choubani, "Dual band metamaterial inverted-L antenna," 2019 IEEE 19th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 1-4, 2019.
21. Mishra, A., M. Ameen, and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact triple band metamaterial inspired antenna using SRR and Hexagonal stub for UMTS, WLAN, and WiMAX applications in S/C bands," 2019 URSI Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conference (AP-RASC), 1-4, 2019.
22. Thankachan, S. and B. Paul, "A compact metamaterial inspired CPW fed multiband monopole antenna for wireless applications," 2020 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and North American Radio Science Meeting, 427-428, 2020. doi:10.1109/IEEECONF35879.2020.9329799