This paper presents the design of dual-band spatial filter for shielding S band and X band wireless signals. The proposed Frequency Selective Surface (FSS) geometry consisting of a square loop convoluted with four strips positioned along the conducting loop. The FSS is aimed to reject WLAN/S-band (2.64 GHz) and X-band (8.3 GHz) wireless signals. The proposed FSS is tested for its angular stability by considering the wave incidence at various angles between 0˚ and 60˚. It is also tested for its polarization insensitive feature via TE mode and TM mode. The prototype FSS is printed on an FR-4 substrate with 1.6 mm thickness and the unit cell footprint of 14.8 mm and tested in an anechoic chamber. The working principle is explained through surface current distribution and the equivalent circuit model of the FSS. Measured results have better similarity with the simulated results.
"Polarization Insensitive Dual Band FSS for S-Band and X-Band Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 110, 37-45, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL22120503
1. Yang, Y., X. H. Wang, and H. Zhou, "Dual-band frequency selective surface with miniaturized element in low frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 167-175, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12070319
2. Yan, M., S. Qu, J. Wang, J. Zhang, H. Zhou, H. Chen, and L. Zheng, "A miniaturized dual-band FSS with stable resonance frequencies of 2.4 GHz/5 GHz for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 895-898, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2320931
3. Sivasamy, R. and M. Kanagasabai, "A novel dual-band angular independent FSS with closely spaced frequency response," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 5, 298-300, 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2015.2410591
4. Neto, V. P. S., S. B. Paica, and A. G. D'Assuncao, "A new compact dual-band FSS with angular and polarization stability for wireless applications," 2017 SBMO/IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference (IMOC), 1-4, IEEE, August 2017.
5. Yin, W., H. Zhang, T. Zhong, and X. Min, "A novel compact dual-band frequency selective surface for GSM shielding by utilizing a 2.5-dimensional structure," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2057-2060, 2018. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2018.2790584
6. Jindal, P., A. Yadav, and S. K. Sharma, "Dual stop band frequency selective surface for C and WLAN band applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 97, 267-272, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.10.016
7. Zhang, J., L. Yan, R. X. K. Gao, C. Wang, and X. Zhao, "A novel 3D ultra-wide stopband frequency selective surface for 5G electromagnetic shielding," 2020 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility --- EMC EUROPE, 1-4, IEEE, September 2020.
8. Kumar, T. S. and K. J. Vinoy, "A miniaturized angularly stable FSS for shielding GSM 0.9, 1.8, and Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz bands," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 63, No. 5, 1605-1608, 2021. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2021.3063250
9. Zhang, K., X. Zhou, Z. Wei, and H. Zhai, "A low-profile dual-band antenna loaded with the AMC surface," 2017 Sixth Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 1-3, IEEE, October 2017.
10. Ghosh, S. and K. V. Srivastava, "An angularly stable dual-band FSS with closely spaced resonances using miniaturized unit cell," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 3, 218-220, 2017. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2017.2661683
11. Nauman, M., R. Saleem, A. K. Rashid, and M. F. Shafique, "A miniaturized flexible frequency selective surface for X-band applications," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 58, No. 2, 419-428, 2016. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2015.2508503
12. Bashiri, M., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, and M. Majidzadeh, "WiMAX, WLAN, and X-band filtering mechanism: Simple-structured triple-band frequency selective surface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 3245-3248, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2771265
13. Yan, M., S. Qu, J. Wang, A. Zhang, L. Zheng, Y. Pang, and H. Zhou, "A miniaturized dual-band FSS with second-order response and large band separation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1602-1605, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2413942
14. Unaldi, S., S. Cimen, G. Cakir, and U. E. Ayten, "A novel dual-band ultrathin FSS with closely settled frequency response," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1381-1384, 2016.
15. Sheng, X., J. Ge, K. Han, and X. C. Zhu, "Transmissive/Reflective frequency selective surface for satellite applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, 1136-1140, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2830408
16. Khan, S. and T. F. Eibert, "A multifunctional metamaterial-based dual-band isotropic frequency-selective surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 8, 4042-4051, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2835667
17. Ma, T., H. Zhou, Y. Yang, and B. Liu, "A FSS with stable performance under large incident angles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 41, 159-166, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13061703
18. Yin, W., H. Zhang, T. Zhong, and Q. Chen, "An outstanding miniaturized frequency selective surface based on convoluted interwoven element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 69, 133-139, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17060705
19. Yong, W. Y., S. K. A. Rahim, M. Himdi, F. C. Seman, D. L. Suong, M. R. Ramli, and H. A. Elmobarak, "Flexible convoluted ring shaped FSS for X-band screening application," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 11657-11665, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2804091
20. Habib, S., G. I. Kiani, and M. F. U. Butt, "A convoluted frequency selective surface for wideband communication applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 65075-65082, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2916882
21. Sharma, P., S. S. Kumar, M. B. Mahajan, and R. Jyoti, "Closely spaced tri resonance wide band FSS for S/Ku/Ka band," 2018 IEEE Indian Conference on Antennas and Propogation (InCAP), 1-5, IEEE, December 2018.
22. Katoch, K., N. Jaglan, S. D. Gupta, and M. S. Sharawi, "Design of a triple band notched polarization independent compact FSS at UWB frequency range," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 6, e22631, 2021. doi:10.1002/mmce.22631
23. Shafqat, M., M. M. Asim, F. Ahmed, and S. H. A. Bokhari, "An ultra-thin, flexible FSS with simultaneous stop-pass EM filtering," 2021 IEEE Region 10 Symposium (TENSYMP), 1-4, IEEE, August 2021.