A dual frequency dual circularly polarized cross-slot waveguide array working at 4.9 GHz and 5.8 GHz is proposed for wireless communication/airborne weather radar applications. Different from the traditional cross-slotted waveguide antenna, to improve space utilization, two sets of cross-slots are slit on both sides of the longitudinal axis of the waveguide's E-plane to realize dual-frequency operation. When the antenna operates in the TE10 mode, the cross-slots on each side radiate left-handed and right-handed circularly polarized electromagnetic waves at two different frequencies, respectively. To suppress grating lobes, phase perturbation structures are periodically loaded in the waveguide to tune the propagation phase constant, thereby changing the effective electric spacing between radiating elements while keeping the antenna a compact physical aperture. The proposed grating lobe suppression method avoids the dielectric loss caused by dielectric loading, eliminates the need for complex array arrangement, and achieves the grating lobe suppression at dual frequencies simultaneously. The metallic 3D printing technology, selective laser melting (SLM), is used to fabricate the antenna in one piece in one run using aluminum alloy. The proposed antenna has gains of 10 dBic and 14.5 dBic with 47% and 69% aperture efficiencies at 4.9 GHz and 5.8 GHz, respectively. It is a capable candidate for air-to-ground (ATG) communication applications.
"A Metallic 3D Printed Dual Frequency Dual Circularly Polarized Cross-Slot Waveguide Array Antenna with Improved Grating Lobe," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 100, 1-18, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERB23020806
1. Sakakibara, K., Y. Kimura, J. Hirokawa, M. Ando, and N. Goto, "A two-beam slotted leaky waveguide array for mobile reception of dual-polarization DBS," IEEE Trans. Vehicle Tech., Vol. 48, No. 1, 1-7, Jan. 1999. doi:10.1109/25.740055
2. Wang, W., S. Zhong, Y. Zhang, and X. Liang, "A broadband slotted ridge waveguide antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2416-2420, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.879216
7. Hirokawa, J., M. Ando, N. Goto, N. Takahashi, T. Ojima, and M. Uematsu, "A single-layer slotted leaky waveguide array antenna for mobile reception of direct broadcast from satellite," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol.,, Vol. 44, No. 4, 749-755, Nov. 1995. doi:10.1109/25.467958
8. Armstrong, M. and N. Alexopoulos, "On the design of a circularly polarized waveguide narrow wall linear array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 23, No. 2, 244-250, Mar. 1975. doi:10.1109/TAP.1975.1141050
9. Arismar, C., et al., "A novel dual-polarization and dual-band slotted waveguide antenna array for dual-use radars," Proc. 10th Eur. Conf. Antennas Propag. (EuCAP), 1-4, Davos, Switzerland, 2016.
10. Gatti, R. and R. Rossi, "A dual-polarization slotted waveguide array antenna with polarization-tracking capability and reduced sidelobe level," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 4, 1567-1572, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2526645
11. Costa, I., S. Cerqueira, and D. Spadoti, "Dual-band slotted waveguide antenna array for adaptive mm-wave 5G networks," Proc. 11th Eur. Conf. Antennas Propag. (EUCAP), 1322-1325, Paris, France, 2017.
12. Rafii, V., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, J. Pourahmadazar, and B. Virdee, "Broadband circularly polarized slot antenna array using sequentially rotated technique for C-band applications," IEEE Antennas. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 128-131, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2237744
13. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, C. Deng, Z. Feng, and M. Iskander, "2-D planar scalable dual-polarized series- fed slot antenna array using single substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 4, 2280-2283, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2300178
14. Mondal, P. and A. Chakrabarty, "Slotted waveguide antenna with two radiation nulls," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 3045-3049, Sept. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.928807
15. Fang, Z., "The design of S-band low sidelobe rectangular waveguide slot phased array antenna," Proc. IEEE Asia-Pacic Microw. Conf. (APMC), 261-263, Singapore, 2019.
16. Zhang, M., L. Li, and A. Ma, "Analysis of scattering by a large array of waveguide-fed wide-slot millimeter wave antennas using precorrected-FFT algorithm," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 772-774, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.858965
17. Ferrando, M., J. Herranz, A. Valero, and V. Rodrigo, "Circularly polarized slotted waveguide array with improved axial ratio performance," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 9, 4144-4148, Sept. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2586492
18. Kim, Y. and H. Eom, "Mode-matching model for a longitudinally slotted waveguide array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 328-331, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.900952
19. Yuan, W., X. Liang, L. Zhang, J. Geng, W. Zhu, and R. Jin, "Rectangular grating waveguide slot array antenna for SATCOM applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 6, 3869-3880, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2905784
20. Lai, Q., W. Hong, Z. Kuai, Y. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Half-mode substrate integrated waveguide transverse slot array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1064-1072, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2015799
21. Stevenson, A., "Theory of slots in rectangular waveguides," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, 24-38, 1948. doi:10.1063/1.1697868
22. Hirokawa, J., M. Ando, N. Goto, N. Takahashi, T. Ojima, and M. Uematsu, "A single-layer slotted leaky waveguide array antenna for mobile reception of direct broadcast from satellite," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 44, No. 4, 749-755, Nov. 1995. doi:10.1109/25.467958
23. Ayoub, F., Y. Tawk, E. Ardelean, J. Costantine, S. Lane, and C. Christodoulou, "Cross-slotted waveguide array with dual circularly polarized radiation at W-band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 70, No. 1, 268-277, Jan. 2022. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3090863
24. Chatterjee, S., J. Das, and A. Majumder, "Circularly polarized offset center cross slotted array antenna at Ka band," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Conf. Numer. Electromagn. Multiphys. Model. Optim. (NEMO), 1-4, Beijing, China, 2016.
25. Sanchez-Olivares, P., J. Masa-Campos, and E. Garcia-Marin, "Dual-polarization and dual-band conical-beam array antenna based on dual-mode cross-slotted cylindrical waveguide," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 94109-94121, 2021. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3093204
26. Sanchez-Olivares, P. and J. Masa-Campos, "Novel four cross slot radiator with tuning vias for circularly polarized SIW linear array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 4, 2271-2275, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2299823
27. Yang, Q., et al., "Dual-polarized crossed slot array antenna designed on a single laminate for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 5, 4120-4125, May 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2952244
28. Yin, Y., M. Wang, N. Wu, and W. Wu, "Circularly polarized cross-slot antenna array fed by substrate integrated waveguide," Proc. 6th Asia-Pacic Conf. Antennas Propag. (APCAP), 1-3, Xi'an, China, 2017.
29. Chatterjee, S. and A. Majumder, "Design of circularly polarized waveguide crossed slotted array antenna at Ka band," Proc. Int. Conf. Microw. Photon. (ICMAP), 1-2, Dhanbad, India, 2015.
31. Sangster, A., "Circularly polarized linear waveguide array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 21, No. 5, 704-705, Sept. 1973. doi:10.1109/TAP.1973.1140585
32. Matsui, T., K. Sakakibara, Y. Ikeno, K. Kawaguchi, N. Kikuma, and H. Hirayama, "Control of effective wavelength in the waveguide for grating lobes suppression of slotted waveguide array," Proc. Int. Workshop Antenna Technol.: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials, 422-425, Chiba, Japan, 2008. doi:10.1109/IWAT.2008.4511369
33. Zhang, Q., Q. Zhang, H. Liu, and C. Chan, "Dual-band and dual-polarized leaky-wave antenna based on slotted SIW," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 3, 507-511, Mar. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2895339
34. Bui, C., N. Nguyen-Trong, and T. Nguyen, "A planar dual-band and dual-sense circularly polarized microstrip patch leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 2162-2166, Dec. 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.3026067
35. Rudramuni, K., B. Majumder, P. Rajanna, K. Kandasamy, and Q. Zhang, "Dual-band asymmetric leaky-wave antennas for circular polarization and simultaneous dual beam scanning," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 69, No. 4, 1843-1852, Apr. 2021. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.3026898