This letter presents the fabrication and measurement of a novel loaded line phase shifter design providing four different phase shifts using only two RF MEMS switches. The flexibility of choosing DC or capacitive load depending upon the phase shift required in a single RF MEMS switch makes the phase shifter compact and requires less no. of proposed switches. The RF MEMS Switch has been designed to provide isolation better than 10 dB in both DC and capacitive states from 16 to 45 GHz. Due to the designed RF MEMS beam switching between DC and capacitive loading, the proposed phase shifter provides a 2-bit phase shift using only two switches. The measured phase shifter has the maximum insertion loss of 0.8 dB with a bandwidth of 8 GHz from 16 to 24 GHz. The return loss is better than 10 dB for all four states. The maximum Root-Mean-Square (RMS) insertion loss error is 0.28 dB, and the phase shift error is 0.98º. The proposed phase shifter is fabricated using the surface micromachining on the sapphire substrate and occupies an area of 3.931 mm2.
Pranav K. Shrivastava,
"A Loaded Line 2-Bit Phase Shifter Using RF MEMS DC/Capacitive Switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 110, 127-135, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23021801
1. Rebeiz, G. M., RF MEMS: Theory, Design, and Technology, 3rd Ed., 259-290, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, USA, 2003. doi:10.1002/0471225282.ch9
2. Qing, Z. Y., L. Han, L. F. Wang, J. Y. Tang, and Q. A. Huang, "A novel three-state RF MEMS switch for ultrabroadband (DC-40 GHz) applications," IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 34, No. 7, 1062-1064, 2013, http://doi.org/10.1109/LED.2013.2269993.
3. Afrang, O. R., S. Afrang, and A. A. Hamzah, "Very small size capacitive DMTL phase shifters using a new approach," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 28, No. 8, 2107-2122, 2022, http://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-022-05354-0. doi:10.1007/s00542-022-05354-0
4. Guo, L., H. Zhu, and A. Abbosh, "Wideband phase shifter with wide phase range using parallel coupled lines and L-shaped networks," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 7, 592-594, 2016, http://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2016.2587833. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2587833
5. Kim, H. T., J. H. Park, J. Yim, Y. K. Kim, and Y. Kwon, "A compact V-band 2-bit reflection-type MEMS phase shifter," IEEE Microwave, and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 8, 324-326, 2002, http://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2002.803198.
6. Müller, D., P. Pahl, A. Tessmann, A. Leuther, T. Zwick, and I. Kallfass, "A WR3-band 2-bit phase shifter based on active SPDT switches," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 8, 810-812, 2018, http://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2018.2853085. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2853085
7. Gong, S., H. Shen, and N. S. Barker, "A 60-GHz 2-bit switched-line phase shifter using SP4T RF-MEMS switches," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 894-900, 2011, http://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2011.2112374. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2112374
8. Unlu, M., S. Demir, and T. Akin, "A 15-40-GHz frequency reconfigurable RF MEMS phase shifter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 7, 2865-2877, 2013, http://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2013.2271995. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2271995
9. Kumar, S., D. S. Arya, and P. Singh, "Volatile or non-volatile switching? Establishing design parameters for metal-contact relays using ON/OFF hysteretic behavior (RT to 300ºC)," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 118, No. 1, 0135051-5, 2021, http://doi.org/10.1063/5.0025062. doi:10.1063/5.0025062
10. Shrivastava, P. K., S. K. Koul, and M. P. Abegaonkar, "Compact K-band lange coupler based 2-bit RF MEMS reflection-type phase shifter," 2018 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 1-4, 2018, http://doi.org/10.1109/IMaRC.2018.8877134.
11. Prithivirajan, V., P. Venkatakrishnan, and A. Punitha, "Low loss 2-bit distributed MEMS phase shifter using chamfered transmission line," Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 8, No. 5, 510-517, 2015, http://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i6/70112. doi:10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i6/70112
12. Hu, J., Y. Li, and Z. Zhang, "A novel reconfigurable miniaturized phase shifter for 2-D beam steering 2-bit array applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 31, No. 4, 381-384, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2021.3057223. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2021.3057223
13. Li, X., K. Y. Chan, and R. Ramer, "E-band RF MEMS differential reflection-type phase shifter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 67, No. 12, 4700-4713, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2019.2944623. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2944623