In this paper, a compact planar dual-band circular-shaped polarization-dependent electromagnetic band gap (DCS-PDEBG) structure operates at 2.97 GHz and 7.77 GHz in y-direction and 3.14 GHz and 10.90 GHz in the x-direction. A proposed DCS-PDEBG structure consists of a circular patch inside a square patch with a slot at the center, and the established arrangement gives additional capacitance and compact size. The simulation of the DCS-PDEBG is carried out using the Finite Element Method (FEM) of Ansys High-Frequency Simulator (HFSS) and experimentally validated. A truncated microstrip line (TML) method is used to measure the band gap of the proposed planar DCS-PDEBG structure. Experimental results agree well with simulation one. The periodic size of proposed DCS-PDEBG structure is 0.13λ2.97 GHz × 0.13λ2.97 GHz, which is a good candidate where compact size is highly desired.
Rajesh Bhagwanrao Morey,
Sunil N. Pawar,
"Compact Planer Dual Band Circular Shaped Polarization-Dependent Electromagnetic Band Gap Structure to Reduce the RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 110, 93-99, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23021803
1. Keshwani, V. R., P. P. Bhavarthe, and S. S. Rathod, "Eight shape electromagnetic band gap structure for bandwidth improvement of wearable antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 116, 37-49, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21070603
2. Bhavarthe, P. P, S. S. Rathod, and K. T. V. Reddy, "A compact two-via hammer spanner-type polarization-dependent electromagnetic bandgap structure," IEEE Microw. and Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 4, 284-286, 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2809042
3. Han, Z.-J., W. Song, and X.-Q. Sheng, "Gain enhancement and RCS reduction for patch antenna by using polarization-dependent EBG surface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1631-1634, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2658195
4. Dalal, P. and S. Dhull, "Eight-shaped polarization-dependent electromagnetic bandgap structure and its application as polarization reflector," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., Vol. 14, No. 1, 34-42, 2022. doi:10.1017/S1759078721000271
5. Ullah, S., J. A. Flint, and R. D. Seager, "Polarisation dependent EBG surface with an inclined sheet via," Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference, 637-640, 2009.
6. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Polarization-dependent electromagnetic band gap (PDEBG) structures: Designs and applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 41, 439-444, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20164
7. Huang, S. Y. and Y. H. Lee, "Compact U-shaped dual planar EBG microstrip low-pass filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3799-3805, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.859865
8. Zhu, S. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 926-935, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014527
9. Yi, H. and S. Qu, "A novel dual-band circularly polarized antenna based on electromagnetic band-gap structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1149-1152, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2281060
10. Chen, W., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Dual wide-band checkerboard surfaces for radar cross section reduction," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 9, 4133-4138, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2583505
11. Nakamura, T. and T. Fukusako, "Broadband design of circularly polarization-dependent using artificial ground structure with rectangular unit cells," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 6, 2103-2110, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2143656
12. Krishnamoorthy, K., B. Majumder, J. Mukherjee, and K. P. Ray, "A circular polarization reconfigurable antenna based on reconfigurable electromagnetic band-gap structures," 8th International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, 151-153, 2014.
13. Lamminen, A. E. I., A. R. Vimpari, and J. Saily, "UC-EBG on LTCC for 60-GHz frequency band antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2904-2912, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029311
14. Jiang, W., Y. Liu, S. Gong, and T. Hong, "Application of bionics in antenna radar cross section reduction," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1275-1278, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2037168
15. Chen, W., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Checkerboard EBG surfaces for wideband radar cross section reduction," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 6, 2636-2645, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2414440
16. Peng, L., C.-L. Ruan, and Z.-Q. Li, "A novel compact and polarization-dependent mushroom-type EBG using CSRR for dual/triple-band applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 9, 489-491, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2051536
17. Galarregui, J. C. I., A. T. Pereda, J. L. M. De Falcon, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Broad band radar cross section reduction using AMC technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 12, 6136-6143, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2282915