This paper presents a novel test platform for passive intermodulation measurement on planar microwave circuits using a filter design strategy. A finger planar band-pass filter is proposed and optimized to have an evenly distributed stimulation field on the surface. The layout is optimized with symmetrical coupling lines from two directions, and the feed line is with a tapered transformer. A pair of T-type resonators is adopted to improve the flatness of the field distribution. In the application of this test platform, print circuit boards with different layouts are tested, and the passive intermodulation difference of different layouts can be differentiated. As this platform is with open space, the device under test can be easily changed without suspending the passive intermodulation test system, which can be applied in the production line to speed up the production quality inspection.
"Novel Passive Intermodulation Measurement Platform for Planar Microwave Circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 111, 27-34, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23021902
1. Hienonen, S., V. Golikov, P. Vainikainen, and A. V. Raisanen, "Near-field scanner for the detection of passive intermodulation sources in base station antennas," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, No. 4, 661-667, Nov. 2004. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.837958
2. Shitvov, A. P., D. E. Zelenchuk, A. G. Schuchinsky, and V. F. Fusco, "Passive intermodulation generation on printed lines: Near-field probing and observations," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3121-3128, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2007136
3. Chen, X., Y. He, S. Yang, et al. "Analytic passive intermodulation behavior on the coaxial connector using monte carlo approximation," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 60, No. 5, 1207-1214, Oct. 208. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2018.2809449
4. Hienonen, S., V. Golikov, V. S. Mottonen, P. Vainikainen, and A. V. Raisanen, "Near-field amplitude measurement of passive intermodulation in antennas," 2001 31st European Microwave Conference, 1-4, London, UK, 2001.
5. Zhang, W. and F. Nian, "The construction and analysis of PIM testing system," 2012 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-4, Shenzhen, 2012.
6. Yong, S., S. Yang, L. Zhang, X. Chen, D. J. Pommerenke, and V. Khilkevich, "Passive intermodulation source localization based on emission source microscopy," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 62, No. 1, 266-271, Feb. 2020. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2019.2938634
7. Shitvov, A. P., D. D. Zelenchuk, A. G. Schuchinsky, V. F. Fusco, and N. Buchanan, "Mapping of passive intermodulation products on microstrip lines," 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1573-1576, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2008.
8. Song, K. and Q. Xue, "Novel broadband bandpass filters using Y-shaped dual-mode microstrip resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 9, 548-550, Sept. 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2027058
9. Tantiviwat, S., M. S. Razalli, and S. Z. Ibrahim, "Miniature microstrip bandpass filters based on quadruple-mode resonators with less via," 2017 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Microwaves for Intelligent Mobility (ICMIM), 1-4, Nagoya, 2017.
10. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Capacitive-ended interdigital coupled lines for UWB bandpass filters with improved out-of-band performances," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 8, 440-442, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.879492