A low profile metasurface, which rotates the polarisation of incident electromagnetic wave upon reflection, is presented in this study. The design, which works over a large bandwidth of 67%, is achieved by combining the effect of a circle and a triangle forming a unit cell. By proper modification, the array is found to be useful in RCS reduction over a broad frequency range. Unlike many earlier designs, this structure is of single layer and can be fabricated using standard process on a thin substrate which is inexpensive and easily available. The results are presented with simulation and experiment.
Karamkulambel Kunjappan Indhu,
Ramakrishnan Anil Kumar,
Deepti Das Krishna,
"Low Profile Wideband Polarization Rotation Reflective Metasurface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 137, 39-51, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23050501
1. Freialdenhoven, T., T. Bertuch, S. Stanko, D. Notel, D. I. L. Vorst, and T. Dallmann, "Design of a polarization rotating SIW-based reflector for polarimetric radar application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 11, 7414-7422, 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.3001430
2. Nguyen, B., J. Lanteri, J.-Y. Dauvignac, C. Pichot, and C. Migliaccio, "94 GHz folded Fresnel reflector using C-patch elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 11, 3373-3381, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005452
3. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, Y. J. Guo, K. Li, and S.-X. Gong, "Broadband polarization rotation reflective surfaces and their applications to RCS reduction," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 179-188, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2502981
4. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, Y. J. Guo, K. Li, and S. Gong, "A dual-patch polarization rotation reflective surface and its application to ultra-wideband RCS reduction," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 6, 3291-3295, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2694879
5. Zheng, Q., C. Guo, H. Li, and J. Ding, "Broadband radar cross-section reduction using polarization conversion metasurface," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 10, 197-206, January 2018. doi:10.1017/S1759078717001477
6. Fang, W., D. G. Fan, X., Y. Xie, X. C. Liu, S. N. Sun, and P. Chen, "A broadband radar cross section reduction metasurface based on polarization conversion and scattering cancellation," IEEE Xplore, Vol. 15, August 2019.
7. Yin, J. Y., H. J. Sun, and L. Zhang, "An ultra-wideband polarization conversion metasurface and its application in RCS reduction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 89, 29-36, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERL19091003
8. Jeyaraj, J. P. G. and A. Swaminathan, "Broadband RCS reduction in microstrip patch antenna using L-shape stepped polarization rotation reflective surface," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 28, 2018.
9. Liu, Y., K. Li, Y. Jia, Y. Hao, S. Gong, and Y. J. Guo, "Wideband RCS reduction of a slot array antenna using polarization conversion metasurfaces," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, 326-331, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2497352
10. Gao, X., X. Han, W.-P. Cao, H. O. Li, H. F. Ma, and T. J. Cui, "Ultrawideband and high-efficiency linear polarization converter based on double V-shaped metasurface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, 3522-3530, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2434392
11. Lin, B. Q., X. Y. Da, J. L. Wu, W. Li, Y. W. Fang, and Z. H. Zhu, "Ultra-wideband and high-efficiency cross polarization converter based on anisotropic metasurface," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 2402-2405, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.30056
12. Moghadam, M. S. J., M. Akbari, F. Samadi, and A.-R. Sebak, "Wideband cross polarization rotation based on reflective anisotropic surfaces," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 15919-15925, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2802778
13. Guo, L., et al., "Ultra-wideband polarization rotation reflective metasurface based on monolayer rhombus hollow structure," AIP Advances, Vol. 8, 095205, 2018. doi:10.1063/1.5030790
14. Grady, N. K., J. E. Heyes, D. R. Chowdhury, Y. Zeng, M. T. Reiten, A. K. Azad, A. J. Taylor, D. A. R. Dalvit, and H.-T. Chen, "Terahertz metamaterials for linear polarization conversion and anomalous refraction," Science, Vol. 340, No. 6138, 1304-1307, 2013. doi:10.1126/science.1235399
15. Zhao, J., N. Li, and Y. Cheng, "All-dielectric InSb metasurface for broadband and high-efficient thermal tunable terahertz reflective linear-polarization conversion," Optics Communications, Vol. 536, 129372, 2023. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2023.129372
16. Jiang, H., J. Wang, S. Zhao, L. H. Ye, H. Zhang, and W. Zhao, "Active optical switch and polarization-selective absorption in a VO2 based metasurface in THz region," Optics Communications, Vol. 536, 129380, 2023. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2023.129380
17. Cheng, Y., D. Yang, and X. Li, "Broadband reflective dual-functional polarization convertor based on all-metal metasurface in visible region," Physica B, Vol. 640, 414047, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.physb.2022.414047
18. Yang, D., Y. Cheng, F. Chen, H. Luo, and L. Wu, "Efficiency tunable broadband terahertz graphene metasurface for circular polarization anomalous reflection and plane focusing effect," Diamond & Related Materials, Vol. 131, 109605, 2023. doi:10.1016/j.diamond.2022.109605
19. Sorathiyal, V., S. Lavadiya, B. Parmar, S. Das, M. Krishna, O. S. Faragallah, M. Baz, M. M. A. Eid, and A. N. Z. Rashed, "Numerical investigation of the tunable polarizer using gold array and graphene metamaterial structure for an infrared frequency range," Applied Physics B, Vol. 128, 2022.
20. Modi, A. Y., C. A. Balanis, C. R. Birtcher, and H. N. Shaman, "Novel design of ultra-broadband radar cross section reduction surfaces using artificial magnetic conductors," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 10, 5406-5417, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2734069
21. Zaker, R. and A. Sadeghzadeh, "Wideband radar cross section reduction using a novel design of artificial magnetic conductor structure with a triple layer chessboard configuration," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput.-Aided Eng., Vol. 29, No. 2, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21545
22. Xue, J., W. Jiang, and S. Gong, "Chessboard AMC surface based on quasi-fractal structure for wideband RCS reduction," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 2, 201-204, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2780085
23. Chen, W., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Dual wide-band checkerboard surfaces for radar cross section reduction," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 9, 4133-4138, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2583505
24. Ghayekhloo, A., M. Afsahi, and A. A. Orouji, "An optimized checkerboard structure for cross-section reduction: Producing a coating surface for bistatic radar using the equivalent electric circuit model," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 78-85, 2018. doi:10.1109/MAP.2018.2859165
25. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M. and M. Khanjarian, "Radar cross section reduction using polarization cancellation approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 74, 107-110, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18020401
26. Patel, K. and M. Joshi, "Broadband radar cross section reduction of microstrip antenna using polarization conversion metasurface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 96, 67-86, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERB22060405
27. Yang, J. J., Y. Z. Cheng, C. C. Ge, and R. Z. Gong, "Broadband polarization conversion metasurface based on metal cut-wire structure for radar cross section reduction," Materials, Vol. 11, 2018. doi:10.3390/ma12010067
28. Mei, Z. L., X. M. Ma, C. Lu, and Y. D. Zhao, "High-efficiency and wide bandwidth linear polarization converter based on double U-shaped metasurface," AIP Adv., Vol. 7, 125323, 2017. doi:10.1063/1.5003446
29. Xu, J., R. Li, J. Qin, S. Wang, and T. Han, "Ultra-broadband wide-angle linear polarization converter based on H-shaped metasurface," Optics Express, Vol. 26, No. 16, 20913, 2018. doi:10.1364/OE.26.020913
30. Kamal, B., J. Chen, Y. Yingzeng, J. Ren, S. Ullah, and W. U. R. Khan, "High efficiency and ultra-wideband polarization converter based on an L-shaped metasurface," Opt. Mater. Express, Vol. 11, 1343-1352, 2021. doi:10.1364/OME.423324
31. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, Y. J. Guo, K. Li, and S. Gong, "Broadband polarization rotation reflective surfaces and their application to RCS reduction," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 179-188, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2502981
32. Li, S. J., et al., "Ultra-broadband reflective metamaterial with RCS reduction based on polarization convertor, information entropy theory and genetic optimization algorithm," Sci. Rep., Vol. 6, No. 37409, 2016.
33. Ameri, E., S. H. Esmaeli, and S. H. Sedighy, "Ultra wideband radar cross section reduction by using polarization conversion metasurfaces," Scientific Reports, No. 478, 2019.
34. Mu, X., M. Lv, and T. Ni, "Design of an ultra-broadband polarization rotating reflective surface for the reduction of radar cross section," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 114, 69-78, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM22062705
35. Jeyaraj, J. P. G. and A. Swaminathan, "An efficient reflective polarization rotation meta surface for broadband RCS reduction," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 7, 2018.
36. Chen, W. K., et al., "Broadband polarization conversion metasurface for radar cross section reduction," ICMMT, 2018.