A three-way power divider based on Bagley polygon is here reduced in dimension by applying the concept of reducing delay line length by applying open circuit stubs. Whereas this technique is known in literature, the delay line reduction is done symmetrically by placing the stub mid-line, which would imply packing issues leading to a reduced size reduction. In this contribution a theoretical development on non-symmetric reduced length delay line is carried out, allowing for a more effective size reduction of the Bagley-based power divider. Measurements on a prototype designed at 2.45 GHz occupying less than half of the area of a canonical Bagley divider with comparable performances over a slightly reduced operational bandwidth prove the validity of the approach.
"A Miniaturized 3-Way Power Divider Based on Bagley Polygon," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 137, 111-121, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23060106
1. Pozar, D., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., John Wiley, New York, 2005.
2. Wilkinson, E. J., "An N-way power divider," IRE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 8, 116-118, 1960. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1960.1124668
3. La Rocca, L., S. Maddio, G. Pelosi, M. Righini, and S. Selleri, "A compact three-way Wilkinson divider with reduced central line length," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat. and USNC- URSI Radio Science Meeting (AP-S/URSI), 1456-1457, Denver, CO, USA, 2022.
4. Sakagami, I., T. Wuren, M. Fujii, and M. Tahara, "Compact multi-way power dividers similar to the Bagley polygon," Proc. IEEE/MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp., 419-422, Honolulu, HI, USA, 2007.
5. Chen, G.-Y., J.-S. Sun, S.-Y. Huang, and Y.-D. Chen, "The novel 3-way power dividers/combiners structure and design," Proc. IEEE Annual Wireless Microwave Techn. Conf., 1-4, Clearwater Beach, FL, USA, 2006.
6. Elles, D. S. and Y.-K. Yoon, "Compact dual band three way Bagley polygon power divider using Composite Right/Left Handed (CRLH) transmission lines," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp., 485-488, Boston, MA, USA, 2009.
7. Jibreel, O., N. I. Dib, and K. Al Shamaileh, "Systematic detailed design of unequal-split 3-way Bagley power dividers using uniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 79, 137-145, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18123101
8. Jaradat, H., N. Dib, and K. Al Shamaileh, "Design of multi-band miniaturized Bagley power dividers based on non-uniform coplanar waveguide," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 118, Art. 153137, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2020.153137
9. Maddio, S., G. Pelosi, M. Righini, and S. Selleri, "An optimized compact rat race at 2.45 GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 108, 115-126, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21112603
10. Maddio, S., G. Pelosi, M. Righini, and S. Selleri, "A novel hybrid coupler design based on the concept of balanced loaded transmission lines," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat. and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting (AP-S/URSI), 743-744, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2019.
11. Maddio, S., G. Pelosi, M. Righini, and S. Selleri, "Balanaced loaded transmission lines applied to hybrid couplers design," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat. and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting (AP-S/URSI), 947-948, Boston, MA, USA, 2018.
12. Yoon, Y. and Y. Kim, "Bagley power divider with uniform transmission lines for arbitrary power ratio and terminated in different impedances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 77, 195-203, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17051101
13. Bernardi, P., R. Cicchetti, G. Pelosi, A. Reatti, S. Selleri, and M. Tatini, "An equivalent circuit for EMI prediction in printed circuit boards featuring a straight-to-bent microstrip line coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 107-118, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08020502