An optimization method utilizing a multistage genetic algorithm (MS-GA) and considering parameter variations has been proposed to obtain optimal design of one-dimensional dielectric bandgap(1D D-EBG) structures with a few periods in small packaging power distribution networks. One-dimensional finite method (1D FEM) is used to improve computational efficiency and iteration speed. MS-GA consists of 3 stages: In stage 1, the population was initialized by Hamming distance, and the fitness was calculated to determine the number of EBG period. In stage 2, genetic manipulation and sensitivity analysis were used to improve local search ability and obtain preliminary results. In stage 3, cubic spline interpolation and local integral were used to reconstruct the fitness evaluation function considering parameter deviation, adjust the results and obtain the optimal parameters. Three optimized target frequency bands with center frequencies of 2.4 GHz, 3.5 GHz and 28 GHz were optimized, and Pearson coefficient was used to analyze the correlation between the parameters to better understand the influence of parameter deviation on the optimization results. The achieved results meet the optimization object within the allowable range of parameter errors, and the parameter constraints were successfully met for all three designs, with their final dimensions below 20 mm. Three-dimensional full-wave simulation software was used to simulate and analyze the stopband bands, and the simulation results were consistent with the calculation results.
"Optimizing 1D Dielectric Electromagnetic Bandgap (D-EBG) Structures Using Multistage Genetic Algorithm (MS-GA) and Considering Parameter Variations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 103, 1-18, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERB23071001
1. Guang, T. L., R. W. Techentin, and B. K. Gilbert, "High-frequency characterization of power/ground-plane structures," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 5, 562-569, May 1999. doi:10.1109/22.763156
2. Cui, W., J. Fan, Y. Ren, H. Shi, J. L. Drewniak, and R. E. DuBroff, "DC power-bus noise isolation with power-plane segmentation," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 45, No. 2, 436-443, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2003.811296
3. Xu, M., T. H. Hubing, J. Chen, T. P. van Doren, J. L. Drewniak, and R. E. DuBroff, "Power-bus decoupling with embedded capacitance in printed circuit board design," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 45, No. 1, 22-30, Feb. 2003. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2002.808075
4. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "DC power-bus noise isolation with power-plane segmentation," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
5. Yang, F. R., K. P. Ma, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A novel TEM-waveguide using uniplanar compact photonic band-gap (UC-PBG) structure," APMC 1999, Vol. 2, Cat. No. 99TH8473, 323-326, 1999.
6. Chappell, W. J. and X. Gong, "Wide bandgap composite EBG substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2744-2750, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817569
7. Pani, P. R., et al., "Design of planar EBG structures using cuckoo search algorithm for power/ground noise suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 28, 145-155, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM12121108
8. Kim, T. H., M. Swaminathan, A. E. Engin, and B. J. Yang, "Electromagnetic band gap synthesis using genetic algorithms for mixed signal applications," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 32, No. 1, 13-25, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2008.2005841
9. Kovacs, P., Z. Raida, Techentin, and B. K. Gilbert, "Global evolutionary algorithms in the design of electromagnetic band gap structures with suppressed surface waves propagation," Radioeng., Vol. 19, No. 1, 122-128, 2010.
10. Tripathi, J. N., N. K. Chhabra, R. K. Nagpal, R. Malik, and J. Mukherjee, "Damping the cavity-mode anti-resonances' peaks on a power plane by swarm intelligence algorithms," ISCAS 2012, 361-364, 2012.
11. Haupt, R. L., "An introduction to genetic algorithms for electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 37, No. 2, 7-15, Apr. 1995. doi:10.1109/74.382334
12. Vasconcelos, J. A., R. Saldanha, L. Krahenbuhl, and A. Nicolas, "Genetic algorithm coupled with a deterministic method for optimization in electro-magnetics," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 33, No. 2, 1860-1863, Mar. 1997. doi:10.1109/20.582645
13. Villegas, F., T. Cwik, Y. Rahmat-Samii, and M. Manteghi, "A parallel electromagnetic genetic-algorithm optimization (EGO) application for patch antenna design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2424-2435, Sep. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834071
14. Caorsi, S., A. Costa, and M. Pastorino, "Microwave imaging within the second-order Born approximation: Stochastic optimization by a genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 1, 22-31, Jan. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.910525
15. Venkatarayalu, N., T. Ray, and Y.-B. Gan, "Multilayer dielectric filter design using a multiobjective evolutionary algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3625-3632, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858565
16. Karatzidis, D. I., N. V. Kantartzis, G. G. Pyrialakos, T. V. Yioultsis, and C. S. Antonopoulos, "Genetic optimization with mixed-order prism macroelements for 3-D metamaterial multilayered structures," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1-4, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2019.2904646
17. Choi, K., D.-H. Jang, S.-I. Kang, J.-H. Lee, T.-K. Chung, and H.-S. Kim, "Hybrid algorithm combing genetic algorithm with evolution strategy for antenna design," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 52, No. 3, 1-4, Mar. 2016. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2015.2486043
18. Xiao, F., D. Yan, and L. Sun, "Optimization design of ground plane PBG structure of T-shape microstrip line by improved FGA," ICMMT, Vol. 3, 1561-1564, Apr. 2008.
19. Zhu, H.-R., J.-B. Wang, Y.-F. Sun, and X.-L. Wu, "An improved genetic algorithm for optimizing EBG structure with ultra-wideband SSN suppression performance of mixed signal systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 26129-26138, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2971355
20. Zhu, H.-R., J.-B. Wang, Y.-F. Sun, X.-L. Wu, and J.-F. Mao, "A novel automatically designed EBG structure by improved GA for ultrawideband SSN mitigation of system in package," Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 10, No. 1, 123-133, Jan. 2020. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2019.2955823
21. Vieira, D. G., D. A. G. Vieira, W. M. Caminhas, and J. A. Vasconcelos, "Hybrid approach combining genetic algorithm and sensitivity information extracted from a parallel layer perceptron," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, No. 5, 1740-1743, May 2005. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2005.846039
22. Lin, B.-Q., Q.-R. Zheng, and N.-C. Yuan, "A novel planar PBG structure for size reduction," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 5, 269-271, May 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.873492
23. Barth, S. and A. K. Iyer, "The MTM-EBG as a rigorous multiconductor model of the UC-EBG and approaches for miniaturization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 70, No. 4, 2822-2831, Apr. 2022. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3137499
24. Wang, W., X.-Y. Cao, W.-Y. Zhou, and L. Tao, "A novel compact uni-planar electromagnetic band-gap (UC-EBG) structure," ICMMT, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1634-1636, Apr. 2008.
25. Toyota, Y., A. E. Engin, T. H. Kim, M. Swaminathan, and S. Bhattacharya, "Size reduction of electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures with new geometries and materials," ECTC, Jun. 2006.
26. Jin, J. M., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2015.
27. McKinley, S. and M. Levine, "Cubic spline interpolation," College of the Redwoods, Vol. 45, No. 1, 1049-1060, 1998.
28. Shi, P., K. Huang, Y. Li, and , "Photonic crystal with complex unit cell for large complete band gap," Opt. Commun., Vol. 285, No. 13-14, 3128-3132, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2012.02.069